Does anyone have a dead Airways Britannia?

Jessica

Does anyone have a wrecked 1/72 Britannia? One of the halves of an outboard engine nacelle mysteriously evaporated out of mine, and since I really don't have any interest in doing a twin-engine Britannia, I need to replace it.

Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas on how to build a nacelle?

Stand down panic stations, I've just found it. Probably because I broke down and asked this question, it popped back out of whichever dimensional pocket it was hiding in. Carlos, your kind offer is probably what scared it out of hiding :)

• Like 1

Speaking of things Britannia, What drawings are available? My references about it are slim. Given the Airways kit's general lack of refinement, I'd like to improve various bits about the kit. Wheel wells, cockpit and the like.

Speaking of things Britannia, What drawings are available? My references about it are slim. Given the Airways kit's general lack of refinement, I'd like to improve various bits about the kit. Wheel wells, cockpit and the like.

If you would care to drop me a PM with your e-mail address, I can send you the articles and drawings I have which will help.

Chris.

• 10 months later...

Would the old FROG Britannia be a decent reference? Since it's 1/96 you could easily double the measurements.

I don't know how accurate it is, but it couldn't hurt. Just a thought.

Can't wait to see the final result.

That's what I love about BM (and other forums!). Offers of help, bits and plans.

BTW Jessica, what MK Brit are you doing?

• 8 months later...

I bought two of those Airways Britannias at Fiarford in 1991. One had metal prop blades and landing struts, the other some harlious square plastic pieces you were expected to take the better part of a month whittling down to the appropriate profiles! They will be combined to produce a CC-106 Yukon. The plane I had my first flight in.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice scheme for one of these Jessica, if memory serves me, my long since departed Dinky Toy Britannia was in those colours & that has long been a sentimental favourite for these graceful big birds.

Steve.

I had two Dinky Britannia in CPA but they were the batch wrongly done in blue and those far off black and white days I didn't know they were wrong having never see Canadian Pacific

I bought two of those Airways Britannias at Fiarford in 1991. One had metal prop blades and landing struts, the other some harlious square plastic pieces you were expected to take the better part of a month whittling down to the appropriate profiles! They will be combined to produce a CC-106 Yukon. The plane I had my first flight in.

If you do make a Yukon don't fall into the trap...maybe you already know

No doubt you'll get how much was added ahead and behind the wing, but the wing was moved 20 inches further back making the front in effect longer and the back shorter than first appears. it's roughly one window further back.

I missed this when converting my flight simulator model Britannia into a Yukon and couldn't work out why the window count relative to the wing was wrong. I eventually found out why and all was sweet.

The centre section window run was the same on the CL-44 as the Britannia. You can see this wing move on pics.