Jump to content

1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk.VI with TR.33 Sea Mosquito Conversion


Recommended Posts

With one finished and one approaching the finishing line, my third and final build will be another 1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk.VI, this time with a Paragon Designs conversion to produce a TR33 Sea Mosquito with wings folded.

Box01_TamiyaSeaMosquito_zps9d0cb6a6.jpg

Parts01__TamiyaSeaMosquito_zpsa8951bbe.j

No aftermarket decals for this one, will need to see what I can find from the spares box.

Ref01_SeaMosquito_zps74f5f7cd.jpg

As a Pompey boy, thinking of a aluminium coloured machine Lee-on-Solent based machine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As the weather did for my weekend plans, I got to spend some quality time at the work bench.

Cockpit completed.

Build01_SeaMosquito_zpsfc23e7ab.jpg

Before taking a razor saw to the wings and tail.

Build06_SeaMosquito_zpsae6db094.jpg

Build03_SeaMosquito_zpsa336c0fc.jpg

Close of play saw the fuselag closed up and wings attached.

Build07_SeaMosquito_zps8b389daf.jpg

Build08_SeaMosquito_zpsc841881e.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good so far but I'm still unconvinced by the Paragon tropical intakes. They look too flat when they should really curve upwards with the engine cowling.

I've a feeling that the Vokes filter for the Hurricane is nearer the mark.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good so far but I'm still unconvinced by the Paragon tropical intakes. They look too flat when they should really curve upwards with the engine cowling.

I've a feeling that the Vokes filter for the Hurricane is nearer the mark.

I've checked my references, for the aircraft I am building you may be right.

Build12_SeaMosquito_zpsca9093fd.jpg

Ref03_MosquitoTR33TW292_zps68fe8b33.jpg

Photo from Ian Thirsk's de Havilland Mosquito An Illustrated History Vol.2.

Checking other photos seems too show some aircraft with intakes more akin to Paragons intakes. Not an expert but was there more than one type of tropical intake? A case of checking your references before getting the superglue out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Primed using Halfords Plastic Primer.

Build13_SeaMosquito_zps14a256c1.jpg

Have been putting off the next step, surgery on the undercarriage to replace the oleos. Just hoping when done they are strong enough to support the aircraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Completed surgery on the undercarriage, and she is now standing on her own two feet. Need to be careful as the undercarriage is fragile. Already collapsed on me once.

Build16_SeaMosquito_zps7faf6a1d.jpg

Folded wings are now attached an I am calling this finished.

Build19_SeaMosquito_zps341fa93a.jpg

Will take some better photos for the gallery next weekend.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...