Revell - 1/72 - Mig-29A Fulcrum

Hi all!

I am already with two models in my workbench, but both are resin made. So… I was felling strange… something was missing in my life… finally I noticed: it’s the smell of styrene! aalegre.gif

I decided to fill this missing part of my life with this Mig-29A Fulcrum on 1/72 from Revell. Some years ago, here in Brazil, there was a collection. In every fascicle, was supplied one sprue of the model. I can't tell if the collection can be considered as a success, but to addicted guys like me, is one more model to build!

I am not sure, but I think this model was produced with the Matchbox Tools. Maybe you folks, from England, can tell me more about it. The model kit has five sprues. Four in gray plastic and one in acrylic:

Mig29_01_zpsbd33e3c9.jpg

Mig29_02_zps2f187cf0.jpg

Mig29_03_zps8a4b147f.jpg

Mig29_04_zps553e011b.jpg

Mig29_05_zps96437d20.jpg

This is the decals that came with the kit:

Mig29_06_zps595f5296.jpg

I will start the work without knowing what colour scheme he will "wear". There's a lot of options for colours when we talk about Mig-29. I have the decals above and some that I can adapt for East German.

This russian version is nice and easy to paint:

Mig29_07_zps9e6e2652.jpg

This czech version I think is cool! Is a "dark" camouflage scheme and is agressive/strong:

Mig29_08_zps408af8de.png

Mig29_09_zps8065cbe8.jpg

It's possible to build a russian scheme very similar to the czech scheme:

Mig29_10_zps75ec25f1.png

This version from East German is really nice too:

Mig29_11_zps747918f5.jpg

Mig29_13_zpsb253f3a9.jpg

When I start the work, I will post the pictures. As I always say (or write):

- Sorry for my mistake english.

- Feel free to post your comments. I am not the kind of guy that will feel offended with your words. Suggestions and ideas are always welcome.

Maybe I should blame Airfix... this model was resting very nicely in the stash, when I saw this month calendar from them:

Mig29_14_zps784ecc1a.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to visit this thread.

All the best!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil
  • Like 1

Hi!

I started the work in the MiG. The instruments panel doesn’t fit so good. A little bit of Putty and some painting and the problem is solved. Two pictures. After/Before:

Mig29_15_zps48fdbc10.jpg

Mig29_16_zps42a0eb35.jpg

It doesn’t make sense to detail the sides of the cockpit. Almost nothing will be visible after the canopy closed. I just did the basics:

Mig29_17_zps42b1b191.jpg

Mig29_18_zps7e67f566.jpg

Mig29_19_zps77b3121b.jpg

IMHO, when the cockpit is poor, the best thing to do is to put a Boss in the Office. This pilot came from the Revell’s NATO Pilots. I worked a little to change his pose:

Mig29_20_zps46a65cbe.jpg

Mig29_21_zps2c599a14.jpg

For now... that’s it.

I wish a great week for all of us!

Paul.

Edited by Paul - Brazil
  • Like 1

Thanks RMCS and Dazz for your words. ^_^

I finished the painting of the pilot some minutes ago:

Mig29_22_zps20ef19a9.jpg

Mig29_23_zps5c026996.jpg

To be honest, he is not looking so bad. The "Macro" effect use to kills figures on 1/72. :confused:

The first picture is a little bit funny: it looks like he is protecting him eyes from the flash. :photo:

I hope I can put him in the seat tomorrow. After that, I want to make some ejection seat pull strings (between his legs) and glue the stick in its place.

Thanks for visiting!

Paul.

Hi!

These are the last pictures of the MiG-29.

Commander 'Little Ivan' is already in his place and the two halves of the fuselagem are cemented:

Mig29_24_zps3dc9ebb6.jpg

Upside down:

Mig29_25_zps7d2578db.jpg

Wings "installed"...

Mig29_26_zpsd90c220f.jpg

... as the elevators:

Mig29_27_zpse9a23abe.jpg

Next task is to cement the tails.

The gaps between the wings and fuselage needed some Putty and sanding.

I long for the painting work! :)

Cheers!

Paul.

• Like 1

Well... tails are in their places and, in this lazy afternoon, I painted the under surfaces in grey. I use to fill the landing gear bays with toilette paper to "mask" them. I know there are better ways to mask this kind of things, but this way it's a little bit faster. Next task is to finish the landing gears.

Mig29_28_zps772e0123.jpg

Mig29_29_zpsd52cfb24.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 1

Nice start, Paul.

I think the kit you're building is actually the Tsukuda Hobby kit. It's been re-boxed by Revell, Kangnam, ACE, and Matchbox. And thanks for posting the Airfix calendar artwork. I wonder if that means they'll be re-releasing their MiG-29 in March. It had been in their schedule for last year, but it never came out. But now that they've got some great Adam Tooby artwork to put on the box, it can't take that long to fire up the moulds! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Thanks for your words Bill! Tsukuda? I didn’t even know there is (was) a company named Tsukuda. I hear some people say that Airfix is one of the best kits on 1/72. Something about the shape of the nose, that’s very correct. I am not a Mig Expert, so I just listen and try to learn.

Thanks Sernak!

Once the under surfaces painting was done, I put the landing gears on their places. This way I can paint the upper surfaces without damage to the paint job already done.

This time I tried Maskol as a mask for painting. I use to apply Tamiya tape, but I thought I can try something different to see what I can get.

Here is the sequence of pictures of the painting:

Light Brown:

Mig29_30_zpsa105eae8.jpg

Maskol:

Mig29_31_zps19c34536.jpg

Light Green:

Mig29_32_zps1893ebb2.jpg

Maskol:

Mig29_33_zps753a1cbb.jpg

(Not so)Dark Green:

Mig29_34_zps2ce9b4b5.jpg

Maskol:

Mig29_35_zpscbd0915a.jpg

Brown:

Mig29_36_zps203dce89.jpg

Next step is to take out the Maskol and check if some repainting is needed. Once this is done, I will paint the electronic panels with a medium/dark grey.

That’s all for now.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to post your thoughts.

Best!

Paul.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Houston,

Thanks for your nice words.

Camouflage masking with Maskol is a ‘tricky’ thing. I had to repaint the borders of the colours or will look (more) strange.

The pictures below, I made with Flash and Macro, so you can check exactly where I did the repaint:

Mig29_37_zps9191b880.jpg

Mig29_38_zps24c44523.jpg

I hope I can post news about this little one soon.

Best!

Paul.

• Like 1

Parabat,

Thank you for your comment.

Today I finished the model.

What I liked:

- I changed the position of the pilot figure. It wasn’t easy, but I always want to do something like this.

- For an extremely cheap kit and hard-to-build, the final result was better than I expect.

What I didn’t liked:

- Liquid Mask for this kind of masking: I didn’t succeed.

- The exhaust pipes. They don’t look even close to the originals and I my painting wasn’t good. They are “non-metallic”.

- I need to change my “modeling way”, when a model it’s getting boring, I use to relax and I don’t try to do the things the best I can.

Below are the pictures.

Best!

Paul.

Mig29_39_zps445a0a7a.jpg

Mig29_40_zps128823ca.jpg

Mig29_41_zps9570e270.jpg

Mig29_42_zpsdf490abc.jpg

Mig29_43_zps228ad0a8.jpg

Mig29_44_zps7ad6bfd6.jpg

• Like 1

That looks pretty sweet to me. The camo is especially interesting to me... Might adopt something similar to an SU-25 I got lurking around now I've seen yours. If you think this kit is bad, you should try the 1/144 MiG-29, that'll make you wanna cry!

Only thing I'm gonna suggest, is that the colours look too bright and clear. I've only ever seen MiG-29's as dirty and "working". However the real ones could be really clean and spotless like that, if so, good job and please disregard! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Nice to see it finished - put a thread up in Ready For Inspection! I agree the camo is a bit 'bright', but it is good to see a camo of those colours. Looks like a Fulcrum and you've done a good job with a notorious kit.

Maybe one or two coats of Matt Varnish fix this 'bright look'. I agree with you. It's too shiny!

About the 'cleaning look'... I was trying to avoid an bad vice I have: to build 'never-washed-planes'. :lol: Look the Skyhawk I built some time ago:

002_zps258b3a5c.jpg

I will fix the bright matter and will put a thread in 'Ready For Inspection'.

Cheers!

That's a funky Skyhawk!!! They are meant to be dirty, being bomb trucks an'all. If you fancy making a clean shiny jet, why not go for a demonstration team or display jet?? Just an suggestion. Both are fantastic work tho :)

Kind Regards

Dazz