17 OTU Blenheim Mk.IV N3538 RAF Upwood. 13th March 1942

Hi Guys

after a lot of faffing about I've decided to call time on this build. 148th Classic Airframes kit, not particularly difficult to build but not for a beginner either. Xtra colour paint and decals from the spares box. I could only find squadron codes for this a/c and had to make a decision to use an X for the a/c letter as nobody has any information for sure, now it's finished I expect someone will now come forward. The props were a pain, the Blenheim props turned ant clockwise and so the angle to the airflow is the opposite to what you'd expect, not only does it look odd but I knocked them off numerous times and they didn't like being refitted. The kit left me with the desire to build a Mk.I but I'll go for the Sanger kit. It can't be any harder.

133_zps19659e67.jpg

132_zps9681fdcf.jpg

131_zpsf5b8e877.jpg

130_zps76f7d2bf.jpg

There is a story behind the aircraft I chose to build. I work for Her Majesty at HMP Wealstun near Boston Spa, Yorkshire. Across the road from the jail is a farmers field with a wacking great electricity pylon in the middle. N3538, suffering from engine trouble was looking for a safe place to put down but unfortunately for the 22 year old pilot, Sgt. William Curlet at 09.27hrs on the 13th March 1942 he collided with the high tension cables carried by the pylon and crashed into a field 100 yards East of the Church at Thorp Arch, about half a mile along the road from where I work. Also killed were

P/O John McColl, aged 20 and Wop/AG Sgt. Eric Johnson, age unknown at present. When the weather gets better the farmer has given me permission to look about the field, p'raps I can find some part to display with the kit.

The Church at Thorpe Arch

100_0735_zps1c340f21.jpg

The High Tension cables, the jail is behind the trees directly behind the pole on the left. The Blenheim landed right in the middle of this picture.

100_0732_zps5b93ea1d.jpg

Last picture is of the Blenheim and seven Dambuster Lancasters. I know, you can't see them but you will eventually. There is an eighth on top you cannot see.

135_zpsa88139cc.jpg

Regards

Paul

• Like 4

Love Seeing models with stories, even sad stories, nice one Paul!

Paul,

WOW she looks great and I like the history behind it..

Been to interview a prisoner a while back at HMP Wealstun...and I never realized that there was so much history there..wish I had known..

Thank you or enlightening ME..

:clap::worthy:

Edited by HOUSTON

Great model - I'm full of admiration for those brave young men who flew these into battle. They were the best we had at the time...

Cracking model Paul and a nice tribute. Do you have any plans to donate or display the model locally?

I live in Aberford, just south of Boston Spa. We are surrounded by sites with a story to tell with so many, largely bomber, WWII bases locally and I learn about more stories all the time. The story of this Blenheim is new to me and if you or anyone can point me in the direction of good source material I would be grateful

Hi Guys

thanks for the comments though I believe it looks better on the screen than in the flesh. Nick R, I don't intend to donate it though I know Thorpe Arch has a good historical society. I take my models round the country to model shows and the occaisional gathering of Bomber Command veterans so I need it really. I know there are a few other crash sites around the area, a Halifax near Tadcaster for one. There is a website at WWW. yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk, where I gleaned the first information from about the subject.

Regards

Paul

A most beautiful Blenheim. Nice work.

One small nitpik: The engine gear casings should be black, not grey. Actually, a semi-gloss black.

Otherwise, a beauty.

Chris

Dogsbody, I'll get my paint brush out then. Thganks for the info.

Melchie, with the promised builds going at present we only have two outstanding, total of 12 finished including the Tamiya one.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks Paul

Hi Guys

thanks for the comments though I believe it looks better on the screen than in the flesh. Nick R, I don't intend to donate it though I know Thorpe Arch has a good historical society. I take my models round the country to model shows and the occaisional gathering of Bomber Command veterans so I need it really. I know there are a few other crash sites around the area, a Halifax near Tadcaster for one. There is a website at WWW. yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk, where I gleaned the first information from about the subject.

Regards

Paul