Harrier GR7/9 from Monogram AV-8B?

hovis

As the title asks, has anybody done this yet?

I have a couple of Monogram 1/48th AV-8Bs in the stash, they were cheap as eff when I was over in the States. However, as I mostly build stuff with Blighty's markings I wonder how difficult it is to convert to the GR7 or 9.

I'm aware there are a few resin conversions out there, Heritage do a GR5 conv. and a twin seater, for example, but I seem to find it impossible to find the correct nose.

I have the Hasegawa boxing too with the GR7/9 nose so am I being forced to mold it's nose in resin, something I've never done (yet) or what?

Any hints?

There used to be a conversion for the Monogram AV-8B, but I can't remember who made it or indeed if it is still available.

There are also quite a few other changes needed to make it a GR7/GR9. The chaff/flare dispensers on the upper fuselage need to go and be replaced with one underneath behind the airbrake. There's also the outrigger pylons and launchers for the AIM-9, plus various lumps and bumps for the EW fit.

I've got the Hsegawa GR7 for sale if you're interested PM me. Also have the Amraam Line 100% LERX.

Let me know if this helps, otherwise I think you're going to struggle to do a GR7 from the AV-8B.

Thanks Loki but I already have the Hasegawa one in the stash, I was just looking to do something with my AV-8Bs.

I'm reading a lot of 'use to's' and 'did's' so I'm assuming this is a bit of a lost cause (or an opportunity for some enterprising young resin-caster) :winkgrin:

I think most of the major differences are more or less scratchable, it's just the nose that is the ointment-encased fly. Even Heritage's twin seater conversion needs the kit's nose so that's a no-go.

Bummer. Maybe I'll settle for a GR5........

Have to agree with you there Smiff, not a bad wee kit at all, especially for the money some of them go for! I can live with the daft seat etc as these are easy fixes with a new resin cockpit or whatever.