1/72 Sea Harrier Esci (3rd build since quite a long time ago...)

In hindsight.....

I don't think a Sea Harrier FRS1 was such a good choice for a third build since my 30 year modelling 'holiday'.

Why?

Because too many people around here know too much about them! :lol:

So building one of these as a test of new to me materials and techniques possibly wasn't such a good idea. So.. You are all going to have to forgive me for using a little artistic licence when I built and painted this. Mostly based on and inspired by this aircraft ( http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1055311 ) on its return to the U.K. after the Falklands conflict (I was in my early teens at the time). I have taken some liberties based on my lack of experience and just tried to get a presentable model, rather than a totally accurate presentation... Could be too much of the 'what ifs' about me. ;) So please excuse the lack of tilted tail plane, the port side tank I should have weathered differently, the lack of 'distressed' sidewinder rail and a hundred and one other little 'errors'.

So.... This was built from a second hand Esci kit that sadly had suffered somewhat in its slightly squished box and some of the main parts were somewhat warped. Cue careful bending back into shape in a bowl of hot water. I should have taken that as a warning because THIS build fought me every inch of the way with many little things going wrong. Trying resin parts AND some limited brass all at the same time was almost taking on too much. A bit of a challenge for this inexperienced soul I say, but I had to have those gorgeous Pavla gun pods, nozzles and intakes, as well as give brass a try with a little Airwaves set. I also had a bunch of decals from back in 1982, and a part used Modeldecal sheet that would allow me to create this aircraft without buying any other aftermarket sheets. Sadly, the Esci kit stencil set was pretty awful and didn't respond to Microsol at all. With no decent stencils I decided to replace the whole lot with the excellent Extradecal Falklands Anniversary sheet. Oh, and finished off with the Master pitot and angle of attack tube. I'm totally sold on these, they're great! :) The brass not so much.

So here it is. I'm sort of pleased with it, it's a million miles away from my Matchbox rendition when I was in school, but.. My next model is going to be an out of the box build me thinks... Maybe practice my NMF and weathering a bit and not bother with all those bells and whistles... This time. :)

And before I let you get on and look at my images... One last thing. I will eventually stop banging on about how I haven't done this for 30 years since I left school but I want everyone to know where I'm coming from and... well... erm... be more kind. :lol:

8569472530_7dfd15e63b_b.jpg
SeaHarrier03 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

8569471976_57dcd6faf9_b.jpg
SeaHarrier01 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

8569472864_971039d351_b.jpg
SeaHarrier04 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

8568375275_99c2e72c1a_b.jpg
SeaHarrier05 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

8569473482_545007d6e3_b.jpg
SeaHarrier06 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

8569473820_d2eb3862aa_b.jpg
SeaHarrier07 by IrritableRabbit, on Flickr

• Like 5

I think it looks absolutely great! :) Well done!

I love the shiny finish and the decals look good! I take it it is one of those where the white in the roundels was painted over?

How did you find those resin-parts? I am about to order them for my Airfix Sea Harrier.. Already have the brass pitot-tube..

• Like 1

Really nice build and you would never know that your last build was 30 years ago.

Particularly like the even sheen, not too glossy. It also shows what a great little kits the ESCI early Harrier series is, when built with care like this.

• Like 1

I think it looks absolutely great! :) Well done!

I love the shiny finish and the decals look good! I take it it is one of those where the white in the roundels was painted over?

How did you find those resin-parts? I am about to order them for my Airfix Sea Harrier.. Already have the brass pitot-tube..

Cheers. :)

The roundels are straight off the Extradecal sheet and do represent the ones where the white is painted over. I'm actually really glad the kit decals were so bad because the Extradecal sheet is fantastic... Although there are more Harriers on it than I'd want to make tbh. :)

As for the resin parts: The gun pods needed a bit of sanding to get them to fit just right. The Intakes popped right on and then needed sanding to keep them flush, and the nozzles were no problem what so ever. I have no experience with resin so can't compare but they are head and shoulders above the kit parts. :speak_cool:

As SeventySecond mentioned, the Esci kit is a very nice representation with some nice fine detailing for panel lines. Talking of SeventySecond, I'd like to clarify that this is my third build since returning to it at the new year. I do have two OOB build under my belt.. Details of my actual return to the fold here. ;)http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935110-first-builds-in-30-years-folland-gnat-and-f4u-corsair-172/#entry1245445

@Woody37 Thanks.. especially about the photos, including the comment you made over in my airshow pics thread. :)

@Everyone else Thank you for the positive reaction.

And Andrew, whilst looking at actual Sea Harriers they did mostly appear to quite clean and tidy, with the post Falklands only looking slightly more tatty, so I was trying for a weathered look without going over the top but still adding some depth, so I'm please it appears to have worked out reasonably well. :)

Superb, if anything all I'd say that needs improving is your self esteem! I suppose if you really want constructive criticism, the wearing down to bare metal on the tips of the tanks doesn't quite seem believable-all the pictures I've seen show them worn back to zinc chromate primer. However, that was hardly worth mentioning, the model is so lovely!

• Like 1

Have no fear, there are also BM members who know absolutely nothing about the SHAR and I think it looks bloody fantastic! Third outing after 30 years, that's spectacular

• Like 1

Cheers. :)

The roundels are straight off the Extradecal sheet and do represent the ones where the white is painted over. I'm actually really glad the kit decals were so bad because the Extradecal sheet is fantastic... Although there are more Harriers on it than I'd want to make tbh. :)

As for the resin parts: The gun pods needed a bit of sanding to get them to fit just right. The Intakes popped right on and then needed sanding to keep them flush, and the nozzles were no problem what so ever. I have no experience with resin so can't compare but they are head and shoulders above the kit parts. :speak_cool:

Thanks for the info! :) Didn´t know there were such cool decales, will get them myself! I have seen pics of those and while they are being painted over and wanted that effect as well.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the info! :) Didn´t know there were such cool decales, will get them myself! I have seen pics of those and while they are being painted over and wanted that effect as well.

Keep up the great work!

No worries. It's a great sheet, although the instructions did offer me some oddities and a bit of extra research is a good plan. :) But you'll not want for any FRS1 Sea Harrier OR GR3 Harrier as it is extremely comprehensive, and I'm quite astounded by the quality.. That's what happens after a long break. :clif:

TBH.. If you don't want to make THAT many Harriers, you could split a sheet with a mate.

Oh and yes Sernak, it is as Esci kit and not the real thing as you know but compliment accepted. :speak_cool: Although I think any resemblance to the real thing is due to the fact that I'm quite handy with lighting other types of models to make them look really good. ;)

And to every single one of you who has posted with comments.. Thank you very much. :thanks:

I'll try and keep up the good work, but lots of things to practice, and with more of my usual shoots ramping up and taking my time it's certainly an OOB build next time. :)