Naval F-4K Phantom

OfficialWIBS

Hi guys,

I was wandering if anyone had any idea where I could purchase a 1/72nd F-4K in Royal Navy colours. I was thinking of making a diorama of the deck from HMS Ark Royal (R09). I have managed to find Wessex's, Buccaneers, Sea Kings and Fairey Gannet's but struggled to find a suitable F-4.

I will put pictures of the completed build up when I have finished it. Thanks

The link says that it is out of stock.

There is at least one other boxing for an earlier set of schemes, incuding one with the phantom cartoon figure on it

Phil

Edited by Phil Evans

The link says that it is out of stock.

There is at least one other boxing for an earlier set of schemes, incuding one with the phantom cartoon figure on it

Phil

The Yellow Bird FAA Phantom F-4K with the original fin without the RWR, however they didn't re-issue the F-4K and M kits this last time just the FG1, FGR2

The Yellow Bird FAA Phantom F-4K with the original fin without the RWR, however they didn't re-issue the F-4K and M kits this last time just the FG1, FGR2

Go for the FG1 kit (exactly same plastic just decals different) and try to source after market decals for 892 Sqn, the decals in the Fujimi kit are rubbish anyway, far too thick and out of register so not worth chasing that box just to throw the decals away anyway.

Duncan B

Go for the FG1 kit (exactly same plastic just decals different) and try to source after market decals for 892 Sqn, the decals in the Fujimi kit are rubbish anyway, far too thick and out of register so not worth chasing that box just to throw the decals away anyway.

Duncan B

I've got both types (Yellow Bird and Oil Rig). The Oil Rig has vinyl tyres, open aux intake doors and droppable airbrakes. Apart from that they are identical.

I've got both types (Yellow Bird and Oil Rig). The Oil Rig has vinyl tyres, open aux intake doors and droppable airbrakes. Apart from that they are identical.

Not necessarily.......The very early issues were slightly different. They had shallow auxiliary intakes, not so well detailed exhaust nozzles and other less sophisticated details. Shortly after the first releases (late 1980s) Fujimi did a limited re-tool which improved certain features.....problem was, they did not (initially) change the box art so you would need to check the box contents very carefully. Some years later they started doing limited re-issues with revised box art (such as the kit shown earlier in the thread) and the RAF 'Black Mike' version of the FG.1....these, along with the very latest re-issues, all have the better features. As my co-respondent says, go for aftermarket decals.....Model Alliance did a nice set for FAA FG.1s but again, be careful.....they switched printers for the re-print (which vastly improved the quality of the decals.....the first batch were not so good)...

Hope this helps

Tiger331

I wasn't too clear in my original post, I meant the FG1 kit that is still readily available as opposed to the earlier Yellow Bird, IIRC it is boxed as a 111 Sqn machine.

Duncan B

I wasn't too clear in my original post, I meant the FG1 kit that is still readily available as opposed to the earlier Yellow Bird, IIRC it is boxed as a 111 Sqn machine.

Duncan B

Nope the 111 boxing with the Cartograf decals was the FG1 kit withe the other being the FG2 kit, then then reissued the FG1 in a FAA Silver Jubilee boxing but use the original kit decals rather than decent Cartograf ones. These are both newer tool kits with the fin top RWR, the revised tool F-4K and F-4M representing the early 70s aircraft have not been re-issued recently.

I mentioned it so WIBS can decide if he wants to do a mid-late 70s Ark airgroup or the early 70s airgroup

I picked up the Royal Navy version at the Huddersfield show, £20 like new. There was more then one and other traders had the other British versions. So it might be an idea to get to a show, if you don't want to risk a £12 customs charge by buying from a Far East seller. The Hinckley show is on at the weekend and Cosford a couple of weeks after that.....

thanks

Mike

Its time we had some new decals for RN phantoms, have you guys seen the the really rather nice new book which is tied in with the air doc people British phantoms 1966-1978 .

now air doc some new decals to go with the book please.

regards Glenn.....

• Like 1

I bought a set of Hobby Decal 1/72 decals for 892 sqn machines a couple of months ago, but the stencils and lettering are dry transfers. All beautifully printed, but frankly terrifying! I'm not sure whether to use them, or sell them.

I bought a set of Hobby Decal 1/72 decals for 892 sqn machines a couple of months ago, but the stencils and lettering are dry transfers. All beautifully printed, but frankly terrifying! I'm not sure whether to use them, or sell them.

One solution is to apply the dry transfers on a clear decal sheet, like the Expert's Choice ones, and then apply these as normal decals. It makes little sense to do it, as the idea of dry transfers is to avoid any silvering and the thickness of the decal. However the Expert's Choice sheets are very, very thin and with the microscale liquids work very well.

One solution is to apply the dry transfers on a clear decal sheet, like the Expert's Choice ones, and then apply these as normal decals. It makes little sense to do it, as the idea of dry transfers is to avoid any silvering and the thickness of the decal. However the Expert's Choice sheets are very, very thin and with the microscale liquids work very well.

That's an idea, thanks Giorgio. It solves one of my concerns that the transfers will be difficult to apply to texture areas. I would worry that the liquid decal film might make the transfer ink run as there's a warning that varnish or clear might cause the colours to run. More thought required I think.

Paul, if you're concerned then a coat of microscale micro decal film might sort the problem. Of course trying on a small bit is always advised to check there's no adverse effect...

I've never used the Hobby Decal ones, but I've used this approach on a number of dry transfers... me, I'm not good enough at sticking them in the right place the way they should !

Its time we had some new decals for RN phantoms, have you guys seen the the really rather nice new book which is tied in with the air doc people British phantoms 1966-1978 .

now air doc some new decals to go with the book please.

regards Glenn.....

Yeap the fact that the 1/72nd Model Alliance sheet sold out is a good indicator of the popularity of the subject matter. We could really do with a decent sheet that covers all the FAA marking options rather than just 892.

Oh yes got the book, had Patrick sign it at SMW on the Friday night and was very impressed with it, Hopefully as the book is sanctioned by Airdoc that they will eventually produce decal sheets for the FAA and UK RAF units in the same standard as they did their RAFG Phantoms

Paul, if you're concerned then a coat of microscale micro decal film might sort the problem. Of course trying on a small bit is always advised to check there's no adverse effect...

I've never used the Hobby Decal ones, but I've used this approach on a number of dry transfers... me, I'm not good enough at sticking them in the right place the way they should !

Thanks Giorgio, I'm going to try this for the FAA group build.

Yeap the fact that the 1/72nd Model Alliance sheet sold out is a good indicator of the popularity of the subject matter. We could really do with a decent sheet that covers all the FAA marking options rather than just 892.

Oh yes got the book, had Patrick sign it at SMW on the Friday night and was very impressed with it, Hopefully as the book is sanctioned by Airdoc that they will eventually produce decal sheets for the FAA and UK RAF units in the same standard as they did their RAFG Phantoms

Watch this space !... :coolio: