Buccaneer tanks - standard vs streamlined?

David Womby

Colin

What's the history on these, please? I mean what types were carried by which Buccaneers in which eras? e.g. use standard on 1970s RAFG aircraft but streamlined on Gulf War? Can you provide any more guidance than on the website, please?

Thanks

David

I stand to be corrected and as far as I'm aware, the Buccaneer only carrier 'slipper' tanks, the SAAF having the 400 gallon ones which were shipped back for the Crabs to use in Iraq.

Colin

I stand to be corrected and as far as I'm aware, the Buccaneer only carrier 'slipper' tanks, the SAAF having the 400 gallon ones which were shipped back for the Crabs to use in Iraq.

Colin

There seem to be 3 types of tanks. Standard RAF, Streamlined RAF and larger SAAF ones.

David

There seem to be 3 types of tanks. Standard RAF, Streamlined RAF and larger SAAF ones.

David

Are you sure the standard one isn't a refuelling pod? The streamlined slipper tanks were introduced with the S.1 and apart from a slight curve on the leading edge of the vertical section was pretty much unchanged throughout its life.

As I understand it the straight leading edge on the fairing is the earlier standard of tank, this was used on the S.1 and S.2* until it was realised due to the altered aerodynamics with the big engines it could lead to the aircraft over-pitching on launch from the catapult. It only took two aircraft before they twigged this, the second flown by the Boscombe test pilot sent to prove it was the squadron pilot's fault for not following the correct procedures...

*Note no suffix so not the S.2A, B, C or D

Hi David, I found it quite difficult to find photo's of the streamlined tanks, other than late FAA and RAFG use in the late 70s, if you building a Gulf War or later grey aircraft I would go for the standard tank. The only info I could find on reason for the two types was as outlined in post #6

Colin