Airfix 1:72 Vampire T.11

You know.. It did cross my mind..

I remember being at Cranfield (my dad, being a pilot, knew people there..), where my dad lifted me up to have a peek into a single seat Vampire cockpit (there were a few Lightnings parked around there too..) and then being shooed away by a ground crew chap who warned us the seats were live.. Must be about 28 years ago now..

Interesting idea.

Since the CMR Sea Venom has "my" WZ-895 in it perhaps I could do it with a younger less greyer version of myself

tinkering with the old dear and ably assisted by a very young Dannielle.

Do model railways make figures of hyper active 7 year olds?

• Like 1

Interesting idea.

Since the CMR Sea Venom has "my" WZ-895 in it perhaps I could do it with a younger less greyer version of myself

tinkering with the old dear and ably assisted by a very young Dannielle.

Do model railways make figures of hyper active 7 year olds?

You could motorise the figure by attaching it to one of those small motors you get in remote control helicopters?

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how far back you have to look if you're lazy..

Anyway, prior to more paint effects, I've started to add the decals, which are remarkably and commendably thin.. A bit translucent over the day glow, but here's more paint to go over it. I've also removed the masking on the canopy on purpose..

d6965a707579cff7e5e1e990781e080c_zps278d

b6237ea2b5df8c3db6a8d2c8b6a41931_zps54b1

cd47a03cb1811fe30616dd4ed6c1b01b_zps363b

• Like 4

That looks really good, very convincing, there's one in a similar condition near me at Carlisle Airport along with a Hunting Percival Pembroke which is also in a similar condition with DayGlo too.

Sean

YOU do not need copious amounts of sycophancy with this model *

THIS MODEL IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

I cant wait to see the finished RFI, you are going to blow socks off with it

Brilliant execution

marvellous concept

thanks for sharing your great idea

* [proceed to praise sycophantically]

:)

b

Thanks lads.. Before I start fading the markings I want to add all the transfers first.. Hence the pristine look of the markings. But by gum, there's hundreds of the little buggers! It almost like they're holding the kit itself together..

YOU do not need copious amounts of sycophancy with this model *

THIS MODEL IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

I cant wait to see the finished RFI, you are going to blow socks off with it

Brilliant execution

marvellous concept

thanks for sharing your great idea

* [proceed to praise sycophantically]

:)

b

I agree with Bill on this...well I will once I've understood all those big words he's used :lol:

• Like 1

That looks so realistic I can smell the mustiness of the cockpit!

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding it quite heartbreaking to see once-functional aircraft lying rotting on a dump awaiting the crusher or target-practice. I also find outdoor museums 'difficult' when it comes to aircraft condition. I know funding is an issue, and I always think:
"If only they could afford a couple of blister hangars, just to keep the worst of the weather off....the airframes might look a bit better or at least be worth re-painting". Shame its all about money, but there it is.

Great model.

I feel exactly the same, Georgie.. Which is why I'm doing this, as an homage, other than practice, to all those aircraft that sparked my imagination as a child.. There was an open air museum outside Cardiff airport that I never got to see properly. I know it had a Gannet and an F100 super sabre, but they all met with the scrap mans angle grinder. Funds. My brother has the Gannet's spinner, and I have an inspection cover the size of a coaster off the sabre.. Probably the only parts still surviving. I find it truly heartbreaking to see these aircraft in states like that..

• 2 weeks later...

Slow going?

Why not?

'tisn't a race is it

She looks good

old, decrepit, has-been and unwanted

blimey, I just wrote my job description!

This is lovely work well performed