Airfix 1:72 Vampire T.11

When I was a lad still in the UK, my dad would take me to old airfields, like Cranfield and such, where invariably there'd be some cold war relic shunted off to the side of the airfield somewhere. For ages I was wanting to do something depicting one of these sad derelict aircraft, and Airfix releases the T.11. It was the dayglow that did it for me. I distinctly remember being at a museum somewhere (Duxford, pre American hangar days, possibly), seeing some large twin engined prop driven aircraft decked out in faded dayglow and aluminium finish, with glazings that were yellowing and turning opaque, standing on flat tyres.. There was something sad about seeing an anonymous aircraft just shunted in a corner..

Anyway, the kit is quite lovely, and hopefully I'll get to make another.. But this one is going to be parked in the weeds, so no shiny polished lustre..

The cockpit was done with Alclad, Vallejo and Citadel paints, as weathered with AK interactive winter streaking grime and mig pigments.. Still need to install the yokes.. I also took a riveter to the engine bay and nose panels.. I also took the liberty of drilling out some of the instruments..

991bdb0b963b3c0b133e2c1006638463_zpsc939

Airfix kindly pointed out the location of where to drill to position some bang seat pull rings, mad with heavy gauge fishing thread:

089dfc3689b00726923fa219e0fd25f3_zpsb9f0

f71c7c00dfdf18cd140f93fafc9c9e30_zps30f4

Drilled out instruments, as well as some clear fix on the remaining instruments:

2b7a785d6a19c4bdc69315831b27a8a0_zps4c81

Rivets added to the alu panels, and dents applied to the nose:

64c4c0b6505c7b8172488f448314ec19_zps15e7

• Like 2

I finally saw one of these little masterpieces in the "flesh" today

Brilliant model

and so is the concept of a sad deserted Vamp ignored in the weeds

I like where you are at so far, nice one

bill

Interesting concept. When I was doing my apprenticship at Halton there was the remains of a fuselage pod stripped of the outer protective layer down to the plywood lying cast off in the weeds just as you are intending doing. I have photos of it somewhere so must dig them out.

Duncan B

I like the idea of this build Michael. I also have a fascination with delapidated machinery so this is most appealing. I look forward to seeing how the faded day-glo works out and I already like the dented nose cone. Good job. After seeing alot of photos on-line I considered doing something similar with the Airfix gnat.

I wonder if a derelict would have still had the seats fitted....? :hmmm:

I'm keen to see more. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.

Well, Geedubelyer, I reckoned I'd compromise by not giving it any belts ;)

..that said, I could still rip 'em out..

Nah,....leave 'em in for this build. I was thinking aloud more than anything.

Like you said, this is a test piece for a future build. The lessons learnt here can be applied to the next one.

I do like the missing instruments on the IP though. Neat idea that.

Cheers

I like your thinking behind this build, I'll follow it with interest as I have two more kits to build but now with three new sheets from Hannant's well, where will it end!!

Colin

Look forward to seeing this develop.

Like the idea of making an abandoned aircraft, remember the fire practice Vampire(?) at Spitalgate near Grantham( what was left of it!) and the famous Lightning by the A1 near Newark........one day.....

I'm afraid thats how things work around here, especially if you go and have a good idea: guess how I know!

Martin

Gees.. No pressure then! :D

Here are a few more pics..

An opened up panel on the port boom, with guesstimated cables.. Not the neatest job in the world, but I am lacking my set of files at the moment..

648305dffa10bb44941bb69e72812afd_zpsa287

Another look into the Pit, yokes still to follow... Rivet detail can be seen on the engine bay cowlings..

88ed5d3e69f5c87e00efa801af32389d_zps4b30

The removed window..

1e07c3751d23bf1100b92eb1b6428e43_zpsdd82

It is shaping up nicely but I am a tad worried about the seats

I can't remember seeing seats in derelict aircraft

you know what is at the end of that black and yellow handle don't you? ;)

But I really love the concept and the execution

(for instance, the rivets. Smashing work)

b

Yeah.. Explodey stuff.. I wouldn't worry though, they're only plastic.. ;)

As mentioned above, it's an excersize in finish, not necessarily accuracy, for a build I've got planned in the future, which will feature a similar concept, yet executed properly. Currently I don't have the real inclination (due to long hours at work) to scratch what's accurately behind the seats, risking the poor thing to bog down.. I do agree, though, that they wouldn't be in there in reality. Who knows? Maybe we're dealing with an old museum display that had lashed up inert seats in there.. The colour's off anyway..

The rivets were laid in with the wonderfully cheap trumpeter tool.. They're maybe not quie in the right place, but again it's more a feeling I'm going for, than true accuracy. Heresy, I know..

• Like 1

Cool concept and will look forward to the result.

If I may make a suggestion? If it's going to stand on its legs then if the engine is 'missing' the main u/c legs will need extending because it would be considerably lighter. When I was in the Merseyside Aviation Society we acquired WZ553 '40' and when assembled had the odd straight and level stance.

Trevor

I'd not worry to much about it having seats. I pulled a Sea Venom (WZ-937) of the dump at NAS Nowra when I was

restoring WZ-895. The cockpit had been stripped but the seats were surprisingly complete. Chute packs were missing.

A dumped ex training airframe would most likely still have seats in it sans crackers.

Sitting high on its gear with the engine removed would be correct or just say the struts are flat.

Very interesting build, I'm looking foward to more progress.

Cool.. Well, I'll have a look at the struts.. I'll leave the zorst can out of the airframe and thin the edges.. As for the struts.. They're really, really tiny, but I'll have a go at lengthening one, and douce the other in gunk to suggest blown seals.. Hmm.. We'll see.. Could sink the thing into the dirt a bit too.. There's actually a lot that can be done here..

This would look cool as a mini diorama with figures of a young Michaelvk with Father examining the aircraft, The model railway world would easily supply the necessary figures.

Just a thought

Martin

You know.. It did cross my mind..

I remember being at Cranfield (my dad, being a pilot, knew people there..), where my dad lifted me up to have a peek into a single seat Vampire cockpit (there were a few Lightnings parked around there too..) and then being shooed away by a ground crew chap who warned us the seats were live.. Must be about 28 years ago now..