Trafalgar class sub

This is my second ever ship model and my very first attempt at a seascape. The airfix 1/350 kit is a very simple affair, the most challenging bit being the paint job.

It's not just a case of painting it black; I had to figure a way of representing all the tiles that cover the surface. After trying different methods, I hit upon the idea of covering it with Tamiya masking tape and then scribed the tiles on. The reason for the tape is twofold. Firstly, it greatly reduces the chance of the knife slipping and helps do a straight line even without a ruler. Secondly, by cutting mainly into the tape, it only leaves a faint line on the plastic itself.

It was then onto the paint. The base colour was Model Air Black Grey, and then indivdual tiles were picked out using Lifecolors black set. I cut out several tiles, and then a rust colour, as the

subs were always loosing them.

DSCF0121_zps826c976f.jpgDSCF0120_zps8e4626e7.jpgDSCF0119_zps794d8d19.jpgDSCF0118_zps7981ed75.jpgDSCF0122_zps4d8848cb.jpg

• Like 6

That is a very nice T Boat, captures the look of a well used boat, just for info the yellow and black ring supplied in the decal sheet represents a painted wooden cover placed over the escape hatch mating seat to protect it in harbour and wouldn't be used at sea.

Thanks for all your kind words

A really nice job and some good tips for those of us yet to start our subs. The contrast between wet and dry is also very nice, how did you get the wet tile effect ?

All the tiles were picked out individually with different shades of black. Clingfilm was wrapped over the very front of the bow and just in front of the rear sticky up bit at the back (see I know all the correct nautical terms) of the boat to represent the water running over it. I then used gloss varnish for the wet effect on the tiles.

A great build mate.

I really like the bow wave!

Waves were made using toilet paper (not used I assure you)

That is a very nice T Boat, captures the look of a well used boat, just for info the yellow and black ring supplied in the decal sheet represents a painted wooden cover placed over the escape hatch mating seat to protect it in harbour and wouldn't be used at sea.

Need to do something about that! :doh: This is what happens when an aircraft modeller has a crack at something he knows nowt about. :shrug: Cheers

• 1 year later...