Modern-ish racers and aerobatic models?

Hi all,

it's been suggested to me that things like Cosmic Winds, Cassutts and other IF1 racers might be popular models to do kits of. Also aerobatics like Edge, CAP and Extra.

Would these be a popular choice amongst the civil model a/c fans?

I would prefer to keep them at 1/48th scale as that's my scale. Small though an IF1 would be.

Martin

Ain't that the bloody truth?

And yet you put a nice build of a civil type on here and they all start fawning over it saying how they must dig their's out of the stash. So what's keeping you all???

I cannot see the appeal of cammo, much less foreign cammo on ugly aircraft.

I shall still do what I like anyway. Always have. Then I'll pull them, leave it a while and feed them into ebay under assumed names, when they're fetching silly money like old Contrails :evil_laugh: ME?? Cynical??

Martin

Hi Martin,

A year or so back I'd have bitten your hand off for some. Unfortunately since then the money pit in my avatar has come along, & all my 'hobby budget' is going into the little monster. People say modelling is getting expensive, they've obviously never tried keeping a rally prepared 1979 Mini Clubman going....!! So unfortunately for now it's just 'building from the stash' for me..... :(

keef

I sympathise with you Martin. Civil light aircraft have never really been popular among kit manufacturers sadly. There have been some but not much in the category you mention. Hawk/Testors do a few 1/48th 1930s era subjects and A Model do a couple 1/48th types like a Pitts for example and I think they are going to be doing a couple of the aerobatic Yaks.

AZ do/did a Zlin Z50 aero type too.

There were a couple of white metal kits back in the 70s by LDM. They did a Cassutt (I think)and certainly a Cosmic Wind, Mew Gull and DH 82!

High had a few Reno racers in 48th too like the Bearcat.

Keef,

I can appreciate where your money is going! But thank the Lord you have chosen a Mini. If it were a Reliant 850, like my Fox van, you'd have been spending up to four times as much for the same sort of stuff, like bearings, etc.

Paul, thanks for the reply. It seems like High Planes have the bulk of the racers. Otherwise the East Europeans do a lot of civil types, but mainly aircraft I've never heard of and in 1/72nd scale. Look on facebook's Civil Model Aircraft page and you'll see what I mean, although there is some staggeringly good work on there. LDM's kits were gorgeous, but long gone alas. As, presumably, have his masters, which must have been brass.

Martin

Well, the response has been so appalling both here and on a bigger overseas forum that I will probably shelve the whole idea. I'm getting reports of HIPS prices being way higher than I thought it should be so I have to rethink.

In order to sell anything and recoup any outlay it may be necessary to do something with a wider appeal. With that in mind I have info on a Waco ZQC-6 Custom Cabin Biplane, beloved as a bush plane in N.America, where there might be a market.

Failing that, if costs can't be brought down, it's back to scratchbuilding for me ...and the rest of you if you want the above aircraft types.

It's no skin off my nose. I offered. Remember that when the need hits you in the future, for some interesting subjects!

Martin

Modernish Racers and Aerobatics? Not for me, thanks.

Bush planes--Bellanca Crusair, or some of the smaller Golden Age bushies as done by KeeKha, except in 1/48--sure!

Golden Age racers and record breakers--Yes please!

Post WWII Xplanes (of all nations)--bring 'em on!

Rutan's SpacePlanes/Launch vehicles in 1/48--Yes!

Edited by BOC262

Martin, I've never even heard of those aircraft you mentioned, much less have any interest in them. I have a passing interest in racing aircraft, but mainly from the 'golden age', and I'd prefer to build them in 1/32. This isn't meant to be a criticism of your idea, just an explanation of my own personal indifference.

Kev

Kev,

that's perfectly fine, sir. No criticism implied or taken. Each to his own, of course.

1/32nd is just too big to kit at an affordable price, I'm afraid. I'm not into making £150 kits like Marsh Models!

Every time you go to an air show, you'll see a/c like those I mention doing the aerobatic routines. Maybe small IF1 racers, less so, although the Cosmic Wind has been seen at my local flying group more than once. But that is done by Heritage Aviation, anyway and I will not duplicate models. Nobody wins that way.

BOC,

those you mention are the very types I want to do, in 1/48th scale. In fact I am in touch with Lars at Kee Kha constantly. He has been a massive help. Indeed, I'd never heard of a Waco Custom Cabin before I started talking to him on the Wings of Peace Yahoo group. Fantastic resource! Also considering the Fairchild 71 and 24. My chum had a real 24 Ranger, but it was destroyed in a club fire. I hope these American kites will be popular enough to finance the production of English types I REALLY like.

Even in the "smaller" scale of 1/48th, a Waco is nearly 9" wingspan. Plenty big enough I think and starting to be the limit on the vac-forming machine available.

Thanks for your responses gents. I was beginning to give up on it all!

Martin

Well, that was fruitless! The website goes on about some business process and airbrush teaching! Not a mention of the model. There is a phone number, so I'll have a go that way. Judging from his area, I'd say he's using Marsh Models to make it. But that's just me being an old cynic.

Martin

Martin,

There is a Waco UIC/ UKC cabin 1/48 vac kit in existence. Originally produced by vac wings 48. I believe donsmodelworks.com has the molds but is currently OOP. I have the kit and its nicely done. Made an attempt to build it but quit. I can build total scratch builds but not vac form kits! Go figure.

As far as marketing civvies, you,me and maybe a couple a dozen other people have an interest. I know the work involved to scratchbuild. Do yourself a favor and build one offs that you love.

Cheers

I got mine from frieghtdog so perhaps they could shed more light on it.

its a beautiful little model all casting blocks are removed in the factory so all you have to do is wash the parts and then assemble

ill put some photos of mine up later

Radial, I think you may be right there!

Having said that, Lars has sold over a thousand Fairchild vac-forms in 72nd scale!

Wacos are a very varied bunch and a ZQC-6 is a different bird from a UIC.

I too, have trouble with kits which is why I became a scratchbuilder decades ago! Ever since I have been effectively designing kits, by making the masters for them. Even weirder, eh?

Charley, I'd be interested to see it. The lack of "casting blocks" reinforces my notion that it's made here, where casting blocks are not the mark of an English caster.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by Scratchbuilder

I got mine from frieghtdog so perhaps they could shed more light on it.

its a beautiful little model all casting blocks are removed in the factory so all you have to do is wash the parts and then assemble

ill put some photos of mine up later

Hi, Dilip cast them himself (in the UK), I was selling them for him but interest was very limited, most were sold oversea's and by most I mean a few. I would hold on to it, as its a very limited edition (in the dozens.....). its a nice kit but more a cross between a desk top model and a kit, retailng for about £40.

Colin

Howdy Martin!

Would love to see a 1/48 Fairchild 24. I believe the type was also used by the RAF during WWII, so there could be a crossover appeal for military oriented modelers.

Colin,

thanks for the info. Does Dilip still do resin casting? Heaven knows they're thin on the ground over here!

I left a message on his answerphone, but no response yet.

It seems there just isn't the interest, even though thousands attend every Red Bull Air race and seem to love the aerobatics at air shows.

BOC, I'll have to research it's use in the RAF, but you have a point.

Cheers,

Martin

Keef, that's quite a range!

Obviously the RAF scheme will improve the Ranger engined Argus's chances of selling, though I wouldn't be doing decals for that. My models are to be all 1/48th.

Colin, I left a message, but no response. Pity. I could send at least four customers to him right now!

Cheers,

Martin

Ah well, Kevin, too small for me, though so much easier to display at home, but I rarely have anything on display as nearly everything I do goes out the door!

I imagine a Cosmic Wind in 72nd would be tiny.

Cheers,

Martin