3-litre Bentley - Le Mans 1927

wkennerley

Hi All, my build for this GB is going to be a small, short, fun build (I hope) - The kit is one I had not come across before and is really really small, about 1/120 scale I reckon. I bought it by mistake thinking it was bigger - Anyway as I don't have a lot of time for this GB, the model should be quick & easy -

By the way does anyone know what the other 9 kits were that came with this one, which is part of the JET Grand Prix contest set of kits, given out at Jet Petrol Stations, when I have no idea.

Wayne

IMG_9997.jpgIMG_9998.jpg

Great choice of car Wayne, though was surprised with the kit when I opened the thread!

Had a quick look on the interweb and found this.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/10-jet-petrol-model-promotional-car-160438413

"Grand Prix" is probably not the best description they could have used, looks like they were late 60s early 70s promp kits.

Looking forward to seeing it built and welcome to the GB.

Cheers,

Warren

Excellent subjcet choise - and quite a surprising kit :).

That kit got me thinking as I recognised the sprue layout, but not the packaging and JET promotion. After digging in some om my boxes I found them. The same series as Warren linked, were also issued in small, differently coloured, paper boxes, probably some years before the bagged JET promotions. I have four different boxes laying around here as I had to buy the lot of four on ebay many years ago, although I only wanted the 1899 Renault. I remember the seller had more of them. They are labeled "HP" and "RepLicars", made in England, sole distributors: Harbutt's Plasticine ltd, Bathampton, Bath, but unfortunately no year anywhere.

Will be interesting to see how this little thing turns out.

Excellent subjcet choise - and quite a surprising kit :).

That kit got me thinking as I recognised the sprue layout, but not the packaging and JET promotion. After digging in some om my boxes I found them. The same series as Warren linked, were also issued in small, differently coloured, paper boxes, probably some years before the bagged JET promotions. I have four different boxes laying around here as I had to buy the lot of four on ebay many years ago, although I only wanted the 1899 Renault. I remember the seller had more of them. They are labeled "HP" and "RepLicars", made in England, sole distributors: Harbutt's Plasticine ltd, Bathampton, Bath, but unfortunately no year anywhere.

Will be interesting to see how this little thing turns out.

Like this Jorgen?

HPReplicars-11.jpg

I believe they 1/87th scale, made in the 60's .

steve

Yes, exactly those, with a "wooden base" printed on the back. I beleive the colour of the box are different on all the cars.

I quite like the idea of this build, this old very simple little kit, nicely painted up, perhaps with som small detail added and the decals printed. Could be brillant mounted on a little base. Wonderful idea. :)

Thanks guys, so they have been around a bit. I have been thinking today that a small base would go nicely with this, say the size of a cd cover with the road going diagonally across it.

Might keep an eye out for the bugatti too.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jorgen, I am enjoying it too, I want the Bugatti now as well but can't seem to find one. Photo below of progress to date, hopefully finish painting the car tonight, detail and assemble tomorrow - The diorama may take a while yet though, still trying to figure out what to do - I also need to find some white No.'3's about 4/5 mm high

wayne

IMG_0035.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

Painted up, just needs some decals and weathering, I thought I had quite a good finish on it but not according to the pics!! You also can't really see the bonnet is gloss but the body is matt

Wayne

IMG_0047.jpgIMG_0049.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

Hi Busdriver, it was humbrol 3, can't recall the name.

Start of the diorama below, its a little big for the Bentley alone but I hope to get the Bugatti in the same series and display the two together

Wayne

IMG_0052.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne, don't think the T35 ever raced at Le Mans, there were 2 T15s in the 1923 inaugural race, then some T40s in 1930.

They do race in the Classic Le Mans.

Sorry,

Warren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...