1/72nd scale Vickers VC-10 C1K - FINISHED

If you want to build a VC-10 in 1/72nd scale there are currently three options:

1) Magna's resin kit,

2) Anigrand's resin kit, and

3) Airways' vacform.

:hmmm:

Seeing as I don't get on well with resin kits and find vacs much easier to work with, I'm going for the Airways kit to built this iconic beauty.

These kits are hard to find nowadays - this one popped up on ebay a while back, and having missed out on one previously I was determined to land this one... in the end I ended up paying around £50 for it. When you consider the retail prices of both the Magna and Anigrand kits, I thought this a pretty good price - after all it is a lot of plastic.

The box:

S1030565.jpg

Inside there are two large sheets of plastic, containing all the components to build VC-10 C1 and K2 versions:

S1030551.jpg

Surface detail is good, with nicely engraved panel detail:

S1030567.jpg

There is a comprehensive set of plans and a decal set, which is sadly now showing its age:

S1030558.jpg

There were no transparencies with this kit (there were when first released but this set had been lost) so I contacted Magna who kindly supplied me with two of their lovely vacform cockpits, as well as a white metal/resin set of landing gear. These will be a vast improvement over the kit parts which are the black 'stalks' seen below the transparencies in this picture:

S1030553.jpg

Due to the kit decals being past their best, I bought new a set from TwoSix for 101 Squadron VC-10s, including the rather striking black-tailed 90th Anniversary scheme for XV105:

S1030561.jpg

Eventually, she'll hopefully look like this:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Vickers-VC10-C1K/1306434/&sid=51ed78c73551a971fb6b63f84f645181

The first job (and perhaps the most tedious) will be gutting out the cabin windows :blink:

I'll keep you posted...

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

I`m looking forward to seeing this one built, I made one over 15 years ago and it is a big beast once built, but does look the business. My biggest struggle was with the engine pods, trying to ensure that the air intake openings all matched and were circular, something which I failed to do quite miserably!!

Good luck with your build,

Cheers

Tony

Good choice Tom, just my cuppa tea ! I've seen a couple of these made up and they do look pretty spectacular, especially with everything dangling. Plenty of scope for super detailing. Good of Magna to send you the necessary, they'll most definately come in handy looking at the kit parts. Look forward to progress....

Thanks for stopping by gents... there's been no progress as of yet on this as I am under the kosh with work. Next week I'm off skiing so hopefully, after that, I'll be able to get cracking.

That's all dependent on the sun not coming out though, otherwise I may well get distracted by the B-29...

Tom

Nope. Very nice email back; Whirlybird didn't get the VC-10.

A little bit of web searching suggests that other bits that Maintrack owned were bought by Heritage Aviation Models. I really owe Ian a call so ought to ask if he has the masters buried in his stash. Now that would be a nice outcome... :pray:

Kirk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...