Bristol M1.C 'Bullet' - 1:32 Alley Cat

The Bristol M1.C is not such a well known aircraft from the Fisrt World War, as it was largely restricted to use in the Middle East and with training units, due to monoplanes being out of favour at the time it appeared. It is a shame as it was by all accounts a superb aeroplane, designed for speed and handling and was very well liked by those who flew it.

Rarely kitted, Alley Cat have come up with a beautiful 1:32 model of Bristol's M1.C cast almost entirely in resin. Even in the box it looked impressive, a full review is Here.

It built as good as it looked, being an absolute pleasure from start to finish. One of the most difficult things to do was choose one of the 7 colour schemes provided, because I really wanted to do three of them (72 Sqn or Silver & black trainer or 150 Sqn). In the end I went with the 72 Squadron machine as I have a slight preference for front line machines. There is a 'Work in Progress' Here describing the build.

Anyway, enough talk, here she is;

Bristol39_zps919a831d.jpg

Bristol40_zps2d3dc424.jpg

Bristol41_zps15b5ed2e.jpg

Bristol42_zps95a827b9.jpg

Bristol43_zps6a184666.jpg

Bristol44_zps3a66167d.jpg

Bristol45_zpsd26bf01f.jpg

Now I'm sure that this model is going to appeal especially to those of us who also build Wingnut Wings WW1 kits. So I couldn't resist a couple of pictures with it alongside my WNW Bristol F2.b.

Bristol46_zps087f8004.jpg

Bristol47_zps2fbb5b16.jpg

In conclusion I would say that this is an outstanding first venture into World War 1 kits by Alley Cat. The quality of the resin castings is worth special mention as they are absolutely superb. This was the single piece fuselage before I started;

Bristol13.jpg

It would make a very good first resin kit, (apart from a disasterous ARBA TSR.2 twenty odd years ago this was my first full resin build), and the rigging is very simple

I hope Alley Cat continue with this series, and eagerly await the next release, whatever it will be. Can I start the suggestions rolling with a Fokker D.VIII? :winkgrin: Please!

Ev1.jpg

(Eduard 1/48 Weekend edition)

Cheers

John

• Like 4

Thats it! Seen all the reviews,been on the order list for a while,am getting it. :pilot:

John, that's an absolutely gorgeous model, the finish is spot-on and the whole thing looks pretty flawless to be honest. The F2B ain't half bad either!

Pretty. I remember using an article in Arfix Magazine to convert a Gladiator to one of these.
Very modern looking for the time.

That's bizarre, they're hardly similar!. Was the first line by any chance "Take all the Gladiator parts and throw them in the bin, then start whittling your M.1C out of solid wood"?!

Thanks for the comments guys,

I've been eagerly waiting for final reveal photos of this kit since reading the 'spotlight' review in this months SAMI. Have to say, your model looks really beautiful. Top, top job!!

I saw that as well. It seemed a bit odd that they showed a photo of a half finished model, when clearly it had been painted and decalled because there were a couple of small detail pictures showing it. (just to avoid confusion, the SAMI one is not mine).

Cheers

John