Supermarine Swift

Hi Guys

Here is a model which has been in the part built box for a while and has now finally made it to the finish line.

The basic airframe was built by Tony H a few years ago but was passed on to me as a part built S5. The plan was to finish her as WK198 since I had already built a Swift for my collection of 1950's fighters but this would fit in the record breakers collection since its feats in the Libian desert.

Thinking this was easy I gave her a coat of blue, did the last bits of assembly and job done. Only then did I realise that as a Mk 1 converted to a Mk4, WK198 didn't have the extended chord outer wing, had a shorter fin and a slighly different shape under the nose.

Hmmmm

Well after a year or so I plucked up courage to cut her up and made the 3 mods above. Cutting up a vacform is not quite as easy as a normal kit but I was able to feed some rod into the the new leading edge and reattach/blend the wings to it by using lots of super glue and Milliput. I also made a new undercarriage having lost the original in a house move. (I know its here somewhere!) I stripped off the decals before repainting and making some new ones.

Finally I added the wing fences. A note in Brians book 'Swift Justice' says these were removed for the record flight but I'm not so sure.

Anyway at long last here are 2 Falcon Swifts, a rare sight if ever there was one!

IMG_4485_zps15500d51.jpg

IMG_4482_zps2f2f633a.jpg

IMG_4422_zps588bc534.jpg

IMG_4396_zps4b058e7f.jpg

IMG_4419_zps6c246892.jpg

Cheers

Colin W

• Like 3

WK198's fuselage rotted away in a scrapyard in Failsworth Manchester (see http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1148827/) for many, many years before being rescued by North East Air Museum (http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/swift/survivor.php?id=605).

Remember playing in and around the scrapyard as a kid - and beng chased out by the foamin guard dog - on more than one occasion!

Life was so simpler when everything was in black and white!

A great pair and nice to be able to see the differences in the airframes as they tried to address the Swift's shortcoming.

Thanks for posting.

David

The only issue I had when I was preparing mine was that the instructions show a boxed in nose gear bay, when in reality, it's pretty much the wheel hanging off the bulkhead and a big empty space in the nose. I got a bit despondent after spending ages making a bay for it with front and rear bulkheads to hold it in place, and put it back in its bag :(

Thanks guys.

Yes its a lovely vacform and an even prettier shape. Much more like a fighter than some others of the era.

The history of WK198 is very interesting and till goes on. Maybe one day she will get restored and receive the recognition she deserves.

Colin

Thanks for the comments

I spent ages trying to ascertain the correct colour. Only the British could win the world air speed record and not bother to take a decent picture of the plane before chucking on the nearest scrap heap! The picture referred to above by Ktbasher is one of the few good colour pics but I assumed the paint was slightly faded after years in the scrap yard. The final colour was based on the profile in 'Swift Justice' and a painting of the event. Pictures I have found of the remaining parts either show it in primer or a somewhat darker shade of blue grey. The descriptions of it were 'a pleasant pale blue'. Somewhat more romantic than FS34256 but equally less useful. I would have loved to see a part of the real plane.

Colin