A PR Mosquito question...

Wentworth

I wonder if anyone could assist with some information on Photo reconnaisance mosquitos. I'm just about to start a build of a PR mk XVI using the 1/48th Tamiya kit with CMK conversion, but would like to model the bomb bay / camera bay open to show the cameras and fuel tanks.

However, I'm struggling to find photos of PR Mosquitos with the bomb bay doors open.

Could they be opened or were they taped shut? Presumably the presence of the cameras in there meant that access was important pre-flight, but the lack of photos is puzzling me.

Any pointers welcomed

Alastair

I am not surprised by the lack of photography given the censorship and propaganda regime in effect. During the war photography of operational stuff was a big no-no without official sanction - which generally meant photos were taken for a specific official purpose. A bomb bay packed full of bombs is the sort of thing that the Air Ministry liked to have in circulation to a certain degree for the media to use, good jolly patriotic stuff about sticking it to the Hun. A bomb bay full of photo-recce equipment would, I imagine, be regarded as much more sensitive and not likely to be something they felt they wanted to distribute to the press.

Edited by Work In Progress

I am not surprised by the lack of photography given the censorship and propaganda regime in effect. During the war photography of operational stuff was a big no-no without official sanction - which generally meant photos were taken for a specific official purpose. A bomb bay packed full of bombs is the sort of thing that the Air Ministry liked to have in circulation to a certain degree for the media to use, good jolly patriotic stuff about sticking it to the Hun. A bomb bay full of photo-recce equipment would, I imagine, be regarded as much more sensitive and not likely to be something they felt they wanted to distribute to the press.

[/uote]

Quite agree WIP.My Old Dad served with 680 Squadron on Spits & Mossies and I have always wanted to do such a project.However as he said ,secrecy was ALWAYS the watchword and the powers that be were happy to see the recon units,presented to the public under the "They also served " banner.I'm sure there must be detailed images somewhere.Maybe Edgar can point us in the right direction ?

Dave

Many thanks for your input guys.

I think I might go for it with the bay doors open as a bit of artistic licence.

Alastair