Chieftain tank

p-26luvr

I have a 1/48th scale Chieftain tank model which I built over 25 years ago but never painted. This morning while doing an internet search on the type I came across the " Berlin " camoflage scheme on a few sites with some interesting pictures. I would like to know just when this paint scheme was used, & what colors were used on it. I am seriously thinking of painting my model like this where it seems so unique. Thank you in advance for any help. Carl T :thumbsup:

Snapper, that is exactly the one. What color paints did you use on it ?

Mike, after reading your review of the book, I will be getting it as well.

Thanks to both of you for quick replies. Carl T :thumbsup:

According to the Tankograd book on the Berlin Brigade the scheme was introduced in 1983 and the best colour matches they could find were:

White RAL9010

Bluegrey RAL7031

Brown RAL8025

Roadwheels, sprockets, idlers etc were all black.

The Brigade operated Mk9/C's initially, followed by the 10/C.

All vehicles were painted as close to a standard scheme as possible, so the patterns in the Tankograd or Kagero books should be correct for any Chieftain in those colours.

Edited by Dr Evil

I have a 1/48th scale Chieftain tank model which I built over 25 years ago but never painted. This morning while doing an internet search on the type I came across the " Berlin " camoflage scheme on a few sites with some interesting pictures. I would like to know just when this paint scheme was used, & what colors were used on it. I am seriously thinking of painting my model like this where it seems so unique. Thank you in advance for any help. Carl T :thumbsup:

Just wondering which 1/48 kit you have and more importantly what Chieftain Mk it represents as not all would be appropriate for that camo.

My model is a very early toy battery driven one of Japanese production. It looks like some early Tamiya kits in quality of the parts in a dark green color plastic. Living here in the US & not being primarily an armor modeler, I do not know very much about tanks other than the WW2 ones

. I have been doing a lot of internet searching today & have come up with a considerable amount of pertinant information, including a 4 view diagram of the scheme in color with the color equivelents in the Humbrol paints, plus several pictures of the real tank in this pattern of camoflage. I have also found pictures of several models painted in this scheme.

I appreciate all of the interest that you have all given my request. Carl T

Hi

She is mine the grey is home made mix of RAF grey and white, the brown has been repainted as is it was to red, I think I used tamiya xf 72 Which is a much better match.

Jon