Humbrol Clear....

Jinja

We have a review sample from Humbrol, but I haven't had time to try it yet. I don't want to write the review up until I do, so I'll try and give it a good road test this weekend and then get the review written.

Just thought I'd update you....

I bought some yesterday and tried it through the airbrush and brushed on with an hairy stick. Got to say I had much better results with it when using an hairy stick, although I haven't used a brush for ages (apart from detailing)...lol

Will do my next large model with it to have a better idea... :D

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Used it for the first time on my latest EE Lightning - sprayed on at 20psi over Alclad

I came to do the weathering yesterday with Flory wash, only to find that the Clear had dried in a crazy paving type pattern!

It now means a complete strip down to plastic and starting again. Could it be that it doesn't like going on over Alclad? Will have to experiment with other paint surfaces.

:weep: :weep: :weep:

• 3 months later...

Anybody tried the Humbrol clear over any other types of paint other than Mr Color and Alclad. I was wondering if it attacks Mr Hobby and Citadel Methril silver?

I've got an Airfix Vampire ready to decal but don't want it turning into crazy paving.

Update: I tested it out on the same paint mix that had been sprayed onto an old model I use to test my airbrush settings and left it overnight, no problems. So I've gone ahead and brushed on a coat to the Vampire, hopefully it'll be fine.

Duncan B

Bit of a worry with the above as it stayed tacky for days afterwards and I only applied 1 thin coat! I have sprayed a coat of Mr Hobby over an area masked on top of the finally cured Clear and all seems well. I will be applying another coat of Clear on top to level everything ready for decals so will update progress later.

Duncan B

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update you....

I bought some yesterday and tried it through the airbrush and brushed on with an hairy stick. Got to say I had much better results with it when using an hairy stick, although I haven't used a brush for ages (apart from detailing)...lol

Will do my next large model with it to have a better idea... :D

Have to second this.

I never used Klear before, but got annoyed with decal silvering, so yesterday I decided to use the Clear/decal/matt varnish approach on a Beaufighter and Spitfire I have been struggling for time to complete for the last 6 months. Reading on here, this appears to be the "standard" approach.

I airbrushed the top surfaces as per the Humbrol "how to" video. A complete disaster is the only way I can describe it. This stuff not only struggled to self-level, leaving the Spitfire painted with Humbrol 106/30 looking very blotchy (the Beaufigther painted with Humbrol 123 was not so bad) but it seems to have attacked some of the paint, especially the Humbrol 33 of the props and the bronze of the engine rings and exhausts on the Beaufighter.

I hairy-sticked the undersides (Spitfire Humbrol 64, Beaufigther Revell 59) and the result was much, much, MUCH better. An even gloss resulted.

My plan is now to apply the decals, touch up props, engine rings and exhausts, hairy-stick another layer of Clear top and underside (not sure whether to do the props, engine rings and exhausts again), then try out the Humbrol Matt Varnish. I decided to finish in this order in order to try to even out the Clear finish and protect the decals before the matt varnish, because I've also read on here that the Humbrol varnish likes to kill decals.

Frustrating times for me at the moment...

Here's a really, really stupid question. I can accept my airbrush is pants as an argument, but why cant Humbrol actually aerosol Clear as well as bottle it ?

Edited by alpine_modeller

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody tried the Humbrol clear over any other types of paint other than Mr Color and Alclad. I was wondering if it attacks Mr Hobby and Citadel Methril silver?

I've got an Airfix Vampire ready to decal but don't want it turning into crazy paving.

Update: I tested it out on the same paint mix that had been sprayed onto an old model I use to test my airbrush settings and left it overnight, no problems. So I've gone ahead and brushed on a coat to the Vampire, hopefully it'll be fine.

Duncan B

A bit late but I have "hairy sticked" it on top of Citadel´s Mithril Silver without any problems what so ever.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to find this topic as I have had HUGE problems with this stuff.

I used Humbrol on the last Spitfire build that was, thank god, a 99p kit off ebay I started so as to bring me back into model aircraft kit building. The original decals I applied silvered horribly so I saw the Humbrol Clear video on Youtube and though I would give it a go.

I brushed it on the kit that was painted in Humbrol oil matt 29, matt 30 and matt 33. The finish was patchy, certainly not level and even pooled and turned white in areas. I managed to removed the white parts that were almost chalky in nature. I then used Humbrol Decal fix, the new formula. It worked good enough but there were faint marks left on the Clear by the decal fix after it was removed with a towel.

The two Airfix MK1a canopies I have dipped have gone blotchy white, also drying with a crusty white deposit on it. The second one I did, last night actually, dried frosted.

So after much pondering I have binned the stuff.

I have a bottle of the new formula Klear, does it work? As now, I'm stuck for a varnish so as I can apply decals.

Oh and I just left my thoughts on the Facebook sight to see what, if anything happens.

Edited by X Wing Flyboy

I've used Clear twice so far, brushed on with a wide flat brush. It did streak, but another coat (also brushed on) eliminated the white bits. It does take a few coats to get a high gloss finish for decal application.

I've only used it on top of Humbrol enamels, I'll have to do a test to see how it goes with Xtracolour and White Ensign.

Mike. :hmmm:

Something on the Humbrol Facebook page suggests this can happen below 10° C

We have recently received reports of a few isolated incidences where Humbrol Clear has dried creating a milky effect. We are currently running extensive testing on this individual product and trying to recreate this outcome. Current research suggests that this can only occur if it is applied or left to dry in temperatures of under 10 degrees Celsius. We would like to hear about your experience to help us further understand and evaluate what external factors could be causing this outcome for these isolated incidents?

Just put 1st coat of clear on one of my builds sprayed over a week ago with enamel gloss white (HU22) and enamel gloss red (HU19) The clear has begun to desolve the red and run it into the white, fortunately I spotted it before it set and brushed the red contaminated clear away.

What have Humbrol put in this to enable it to eat into gloss enamel?