Zvezda 1:350 Protected Cruiser Varyag + extras.

Shar2

Thought it was about time I started to build a ship after several tank builds. So here it is, the Zvezda Varyag cruiser, Eduard etched set, Master gun barrels, Master turned brass masts and Artwox wooden deck.

Varyagbox.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Dave, some info for you. You don't have enough of the smallest master gun barrels and you might find the main gun cradles and the guns a bit of a tight fit. Otherwise it's a really nice kit. I also found that the foredeck sat a little high but I should have spent a little more time on the dryfit. That said, I will be making another one for myself one day so I'm looking forward to see the Eduard set and the Artwox deck. Happy building. Jockster.

No pressure then Chris :D I've got the hull and most of the decks fitted. Now it's a matter of removing some detail in readiness for the etched parts, and cleaning up the hull seams.

Hull.jpg

Hull2.jpg

Jockster, thanks for the info. The slightly high foredeck is the reason it's not fitted yet. Won't take much, just a few swipes with a sanding stick.

• Like 1

I don't know Dave, it will depend on how much time I can allocate to the build. I also don't want to rush it as there is a lot to do with the etch etc.

Jockster, I think if I don't sort out the high deck it will only be exagerated with the addition of the wooden deck, so the railings won't hide it.

It's got to be sorted, I really regret my laziness. The Kagero book is really usefull if you haven't already got it and there are some excellent pictures on the web of the model in the Russian Central Naval Museum in St Petersburg. The only other fit issue I can remember is having to thin down a locker in the middle of the foredeck/main deck bulkhead as it was blocking the hatches next to it. What colours are you going for?

I'm going for the white and beige look as she was when launched. I've just been a filling number of gaps round the deck edge and removing the details from the funnels in readiness fo the etch. Blooming four funnels make for quite a bit of work :D

I did the same, took them back to nothing then used masking tape for the bands, painted over with superglue! I just remembered, where the davits join the central framework there are big gaps, fine tuning with a file helped but not by much, you may have better luck at an earlier stage. I'm trying to remember all the things I was going to sort on the next one!

You can say that again Frank. Spent most of last night removing styrene to be replaced by brass. The funnels needed quite a bit of tidying up and filling.

For some reason, i've always thought these Zvesda kits were of a "lesser" quality: don't know why.... just preconceptions on my part i suppose!

Following this one closely, Dave. Just about to start my Dreadnought (trumpy 350), & hope to pick up a tip or two...

What are Master Barrels like? Do i need to bother swapping out the ones provided in my kit? Are they >that< much better than plastics?

Best I get this one right then :D Zvezda may need a little more modelling than some manufacturers but they are still good kits and the subjects are different.

I like Master and RB barrels and feel they are a lot better than the plastic parts.

Now I've seen some of the finished builds, it's time to watch something come together.

Looking forward to this mate as this kit and Zvezda's HMS Dreadnought have been calling to me!

• 3 weeks later...

Having life get in the way is getting tiresome, but have finally managed to get some more done on this build. Removed even more details removed from the deck areas, sprayed the hull white and added the Artwox decks. Still an awful lot to do, and most of it is etched so it looks like this will be a longer build than I had at first expected.

IMG_6803.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

• Like 1

Nice work so far Dave, I didn't know about wooden decks when I built mine but after seeing yours, will be top of the list on the wartime version when I get to it. Glad you went for the red antifouling rather than green, far nicer look. Jockster.

Looking good Shar. :goodjob:

I've been looking on line at the wooden decks for some of my future builds. The way yours is looking,

I think I need to get me some.

Just out of interest, did you have to remove any plastic from the kit to apply them (or is it just placed on top and around everything)

and how easy was it to apply?

Cheers

The decks are pre-cut to fit over all the kits deck fittings. The reason I removed a lot of the fittings is that they are replaced by etched parts. They are very easy to apply, being basically sticky backed wood. The only thing is, that once they are down they stay down, so you really only get one chance to get them in the right place.