Babylon 5 Kits

Skids

Hello all

I have not built a Sci--Fi kit as of yet but would very much like to have a go at one.

I am interested in doing a Babylon 5 ship, most likely a Whitestar, Minbari or Vorlon ship. I believe Warp Models do a Whitestar.

Could anyone point me in the right direction

Thanks

Simon

There are three "mainstream" Babylon 5 kits that are generally available (eBay or Comet Miniatures).

Revell-Monogram Starfury, 1/72nd. Hard to find, check eBay including US sellers. Nice kit. Comes in two versions - early with two sets of markings, later with six sets of marking and metal badge.

Revell-Monogram Babylon 5 Station. Odd scale. Also hard to find, check eBay including US sellers. OK kit, lacks surface detail - some detail is provided as decals.

Warp White Star (or Shadow Killer as it's sometimes marketed as). Odd scale. It's still around. Try eBay or Federation Models here in the US. Do not confuse with the small Gizmotron White Star at Comet. A note on Warp models, their resin is very brittle and not very easy to work with.

You can also search for other ships. I know that most main Minbari, Vorlon, Shadow and Narn ships have been available as resin garage kits and there are several version of Earth cruisers also available in resin. Comet currently stocks the Advanced Black Shadow Omega Destroyer and several display models and miniatures. You may have diffculty locating some kits because they are sold under obscure names to avaoid copyright. For example, the Minbari Flyer is sold as the Bonehead Fighter.

Being a B5 fan, I have built both Revell kits and Warp's White Star, Shadow Ship and Starfury.

I just bought an Omega Class Destroyer from Comet which is a quite expensive set of bits of resin and white metal that I am looking forward to building in the very near future. I've got the Revel B5 station in the stash and last year built a Starfury with lighting (see link in my sig). The Starfury is a frustrating kit, its ALMOST brilliant but the parts don't fit well and the guns are abysmally inaccurate. Thankfully Staship Modeller in the US has restocked the resin replacement guns which are pretty good.

I'll be doing a WIP on the Omega once I've completed the current Mosquito build...

We were treated to an in-primer example of an Earthforce destroyer at a club night a couple of months ago. It looked great, but I gather quite a bit of work went into getting it so. There were jokes about "Warp" being an apt name :)

I'll be keen to see what you make of it - like I say, the results can be very nice.

Will

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, for those that have the Revell Babylon 5, in the USA, a company called Agents of Gaming for a time did a board game combat system for Babylon 5 (officially licensed by WB). They did several miniatures of the ships in two scales. The cruisers they did in one scale and the fighters in another, since the fighters are so tiny. The reason I mention it is I have an AOG Omega Class Destroyer and it looks close to the same scale as the Revell B5 kit (close enough to work anyway). So, there should be some nice opportunities to do a diorama display with the station and various craft around it. Only thing is AOG has been out of business for awhile and some of the more sought after ships can command some high prices if you can find them.

As for the fighters, they look to be about 1/500 to 1/600 scale. I'm thinking about using a couple Starfury minis I have to do a bit of an "Easter Egg" inside a Trek ship's hangar bay. ;)