HP88 Scratch Build

tpat

This is my idea of scratch building, I mainly build in wood (bass wood), I use plans from what ever source is available in this case Barrie Hygates British Jet Experimental Aircraft plus as many photo's as I can find. I believe my work is accurate in outline and cross section but I do not strive to include great detail.

Hopefully the following photo's show the plan, the materials and the beginning of the construction.

e07a692a-6e0e-4dff-8893-f0a09d3ab373_zps

GB3fuselagematerial_zps6a3e82a5.jpg

GB4initialshape_zpsd1913624.jpg

GB5carvedfuselage_zps9e82e9b9.jpg

If this works I will post more photo's.

This is the photo that I missed from my last submission.

GB2toolsandmaterials_zps6c3000b5.jpg

I next prepared the canopy, fin and rudder, the fin and rudder are always the first item to be added to the fuselage, this is because all alignment is based on these first two components being properly aligned, there are no pegs or slots here.

The wings are then cut out.

GB7wingblanks_zps1d19fb73.jpg

The main components are all shaped, coated with sanding sealer and resanded two or three times and are now ready for assembly.

GB8maincomponents_zps7d394bfa.jpg

Now the assembly can start, most joints are fixed using a sort of 'bisbuit joint' I use a tiny sliver of brass shim as the biscuit. the added advantage of this is that a small degree of alignment checking can be then be carried out before final gluing. Joining a wing to a fuselage requires the wing to be at the correct hieght on the fuselage it also has to have the correct sweep back, angle of attack and correct diheadral, again no pegs or slots unless you make them.

GB11assembly2_zps5f53c219.jpg

The undercarriage is fashioned from brass wire and plastic card.

GB13assembly4_zps34c38386.jpg

The assembled model, a jet will never look right as a tail sitter.

GB15awaitingpaint_zps7df302e9.jpg

That only leaves the painting and decaling, here it is in its base paint.

GB17Gettingthere_zpsf36e434c.jpg

I still have to do the detail painting, canopy etc but my real problem is that Handley Page outlined their roundels in silver, any body know a source?

Terry

• Like 1

Lovely stuff! Proper scratchbuilding and in so small a scale!

Interesting subject too.

I take it you are aware of Solid Model Memories forum? They're all carvers on there.

Martin

Er, it says HP 88 at the top!

Martin

I know Martin, but the HP88 (which was a test/ research aircraft for the HP Victor crescent wing) was built using a Supermarine Attacker fuselage with scale wings and tail surfaces for the Victor.

Brilliant work there Terry, you've captured the look of it perfectly!

Thanks everybody, as you say it used the Attacker fuselage, it also used Swift wing roots and instrumentation. The wing was a .34 sized replica of the proposed Victor wing.

I suppose it does remind you a little of the Buccaneer, wing plan form and tail position.

i am aware of the solid modellers site but I can't fathom the operating of it.

Terry

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise the connection with the Attacker. I must read my new book more carefully.

I got on Solid Model Memories pretty easily and I'm hopeless at these things.

Martin

Thanks for the heads up re the Attacker fuselage, I should have looked a little closer! It might be nice/interesting subject for one of the 'cottage industry' company's (Heritage or Freight Dog) to get to grips with.

Pity I don't have a spare Frog Attacker kit in the stash.

Colin

Martin

Strangely enough one of my models was voted model of the year by the Solid Model Memories (SMM) group. The strange part about it being that I hadn’t entered it. A member of another group that I belonged to called Small Scale Models also belonged to the SMMs group, he had seen my model and presented it to them, they then voted it top model. I didn’t even know it was entered, the sad part was that I couldn’t work out how to thanks them.

Perhaps I’m getting a bit off topic but you can see the model here, I think the link works.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pid=3545

Terry

Terry, I can quite understand how that model would have got Model of the year!

It is so very rare to see real scratchbuilding anywhere these days, which is a shame considering the amount of work some people do to a kit beyond how the manufacturers present it. Those same skills would easily see them making something from scratch. AND...it cost almost nothing!

Lovely work.

Martin

I agree Martin I see models at all the shows that I simply couldn't match, no way, but I like building up collections and the models that I required were not available. Especially not in the small scale.

Looking at the model now I do wish I had fitted the pitot tubes they are very distinctive on this aircraft especially the one on the acorn fairing, perhaps I'll add it later. I also broke one of the flap tracks off during painting and had to glue it back on, never a pretty site.

Anyway here's the finished thing, it should have the national markings outlined in silver but I couldn't source any

GB217_zpsb2443ef4.jpg

GB213_zps454ea790.jpg

Lovely bit of work and especially so in that scale.

But, alas, I think scratchbuilders are on the way out after all these years. I've had no response to my thread, so I shall simply beaver away and get on with it on my own! Which is what usually happens in the end anyway and always has.

Cheers,

Martin

Lovely bit of work and especially so in that scale.

But, alas, I think scratchbuilders are on the way out after all these years. I've had no response to my thread, so I shall simply beaver away and get on with it on my own! Which is what usually happens in the end anyway and always has.

Cheers,

Martin

what thread?

that hp is immense btw!