Revell 1/72 Bf110E-1 cockpit

UKscalemodeller

Hi all,

Am wondering of anyone had built the above?

I have been told its an awful kit, that said, it was a present.

I want to make a decent job of the cockpit but cannot find anyone who does a etch kit or resin for this particular one.

does anyone know of one or if something such as the Eduard one designed for the airfix kit would work on the revell.

Many thanks for the collective knowledge.

UKs

This is the old Monogram kit and not awful at all unless it is compared very critically, intolerantly and out of context to the recent Eduard kit. There seems to be a lot of this judgemental "awful", "PoS" type writing off of perfectly good old kits these days. Although no doubt the modern releases of older kits might suffer the effects of worn moulds in terms of detail and fit.

Ray Rimmel put this one in his BoB collection with a scratch-built cockpit for Scale Models magazine in 1980 and if you can find it that article will help with improving and detailing this particular kit.

Airwaves do an etch set for the "old and awful" Fujimi kit which could no doubt be adapted quite easily to the Monogram/Revell.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AEC72079

Build it and enjoy it.

Nick

The Monogram 110E was always supposed to have a decent outline, if a little basic, although the engines are apparently off. I read an article some time back that suggested using the engines from the Fujimi kit, plus other bits to sort out it out.

Don't see why an Eduard set wouldn't fit as the Monogram cockpit has only seats IIRC.

Edit: Nick got there before me!

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

When it was initially released in 1967, the Monogram (now Revell) Bf-110E was quite the cat's meow. The exterior surfaces had plenty of detail, and even though the panel lines were raised, they were very fine and not heavy-handed. And no rivets! It featured petite exhaust stacks and mass balances, a very nice touch. The cockpit was a bit sparse, but had decals for the cockpit panel and rear panel; if one used the extremely well-executed crew figures, it wasn't really bad, at all. It had a reasonably-accurate set of bombs, and IIRC, the wheels weren't that bad, either. It was a pretty easy build, and almost certainly would have been dubbed a "shake and bake" kit, had that term been around in 1967. It was that hard to botch up...

Fast-forward 45 years - The new Eduard series are the undisputed kings of the hill, hands down. The ProfiPack versions are everything you could possibly want in a modern kit, and then some. Fine, exquisite detail, lotsa parts, color photo-etch, and masks; and oh yes, did I mention, very accurate, too?

However, comma, pull out the sprues from the old Monogram kit, and lay them out next to the new Eduard sprues, and you would be very pleasantly surprised in terms of overall accuracy at the macro level. It's very much like comparing the 1970s-vintage Airfix Spitfire against some of the more recent comers - a bit crude for the times, but it still can hold its own.

Now to your questions: Eduard makes a Brassin cockpit for the BF-110E - it's extremely pricey, but would be complete, and would probably not require abnormal fitting to drop into the Monogram fuselage. Less expensive, but still a bit high would be the Eduard color PE sheet for the Airfix Bf-110E. If you don't get the Zoom edition, you will get a complete cockpit build-up (sidewalls and all), plus some fuselage details (like brake lines and some of the LG bay structural details). The older Eduard (non-colored) Bf-110G PE sheet included complete LG bay detail pieces. Or, if you know somebody who is building the Eduard 110E and got the Brassin cockpit, perhaps you could sweet talk him into giving you the original cockpit parts.... These are in addition to the suggestions others have already offered up.

In terms of the exterior, the biggest improvement area (in terms of immediate visibility) would be the gun troughs under the nose. The easiest way I see would be to replace the lower portion of the nose with the corresponding Eduard part. And if you have a friend with an Eduard Bf-110G-2, there just happens to be one (1) spare per kit, as the old C-E nose lower piece (with the gun troughs)is on a sprue common to all variants, but the -G's have new nose pieces molded on separate sprues!

If you wanted to update the wheels, again, there are the new Eduard Brassin wheels, that actually aren't that pricey (compared, at least to the cockpits!) Squadron also makes resin replacement wheels, and they've been around for simply decades, now. All versions of the Eduard kit come with two complete sets of main wheels - one ribbed, and one smooth tread. According to the instructions, the ribbed tread are meant to be used on the -B through -D variants, and the smooth tread for the -Es and -Gs. so if you have a friend, and you aren't that fussy...

For hollowed exhausts, the Quickboost sets for the Fujimi kit should work just fine.

HTH!

Byron

I built the Revell boxing about 10 years, and it was a nice build. My three main issues with it were;

1 The lack of interior, which I corrected with spare parts

2 The lack of wing dihedral, which I should have corrected

3 In the early noughties boxing, IIRC one of the codes on the side of the plane was the wrong colour - it should be the same as the spinner colour (I think it denotes the staffel or something like that). This is probably fixed on the current release.

It was well rated many years ago, and whatever you might say in comparing it to the newer stuff, it does scrub up well with a bit of tlc.

I do wish people would stop whinging about the cost of Falcon canopy sets. They are exceptional value for money - try buying all the individual canopies from Squadron that make up a Falcon set and you'll find it eyewateringly expensive.

They are exceptional value - if you are likely to build all or most of the subjects in the set. For just one subject they become eye-wateringly expensive. And that scenario is becoming more common over time because Falcon are not issuing new sets covering more recent kits. For example I would love the canopies for the Airfix Dornier Do 17E/F off FNCV0972 but all the other canopies in the set are for kits that are now obsolete, replaced by better renditions (eg Frog Ar 234, Airfix He 177, old Revell Condor).

I don't disagree with your assessment - if the object is to create a masterpiece for Telford, start with the Eduard Profipack kit, add the Eduard exterior PE sheet, Brassin cockpit, nose and wheel sets, and the (soon-to-come-I'm-sure) CMK open engine set, and go nuts. If the object is to have a little fun, and fix a couple of things in the process, I'd go with one of the Eduard Airfix 110E PE sheets. (Regular or Zoom), and maybe replacing the lower nose section with an Eduard spare from a friend. It's a fun little kit, and worth building "just because", but probably not worth spending a king's ransom on, when the king's ransom could be so much more effectively spent on a state-of-the-art project...

Byron

Just an observation - if you spend lots on aftermarket for the Revell kit, wouldn't it not just be better and easier to buy the Eduard kit and sell the Revell kit for a few £?

thanks

Mike

Thanks all.

To be honest I have only had a 2 minute look thorugh the box (about a year and half ago) before it got 'Stashed'.

Will follow the suggestions above and see what I can do.

Have been working on sove detailing in card as an idea too.

As always, pleased by the knowledge freely given.

UKs.

I don't disagree with your assessment - if the object is to create a masterpiece for Telford, start with the Eduard Profipack kit, add the Eduard exterior PE sheet, Brassin cockpit, nose and wheel sets, and the (soon-to-come-I'm-sure) CMK open engine set, and go nuts. If the object is to have a little fun, and fix a couple of things in the process, I'd go with one of the Eduard Airfix 110E PE sheets. (Regular or Zoom), and maybe replacing the lower nose section with an Eduard spare from a friend. It's a fun little kit, and worth building "just because", but probably not worth spending a king's ransom on, when the king's ransom could be so much more effectively spent on a state-of-the-art project...

Byron

Byron, who said anything about chucking in lots of resin and making a masterpice for Telford? The point is it would be better to buy the Eduard Profipack and build that as is, rather than buys loads of aftermarket for a vastly inferior kit.

You can make really nice model from any of the Eduard Bf110 Profipack kits, using just what's in the box. What's more you can enter it in the competition at Telford in the OOB section (trust me, I know one of the judges and repeated class winners). I'll certainly NOT be adding resin bits (apart from wheels maybe) to my Bf110G-2 kit when I build it.

Apparently the Eduard kit is a nice fun build.

thanks

Mike

I got this kit last year at Hobbycraft for the grand total of £2!!! Gotta love it when they cock up the prices!! ;) I had a look at it, and I didn't think it was that bad actually. Was thinking of turning it into a C-4 as I have the Airfix C2/4 boxing. But I've only thought about it, haven't looked at it.

The cardboard cockpit looks good. I'd be happy with that! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I finished one not long ago. Unfortunately the canopy in my kit was awful - cracked and crazed, barely transparent. I covered it up with a tarp. Nice little kit, I must say - went together well, and though not "modern" by any means it looks good.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933546-stripy-bf110/

I had fit an Aires Me.110G cockpit into one of mine. With a few tweaks, it can be made to do the trick. I couldn't bring myself to buy one of Eduard's cockpit sets, not that they are not well done, it's the price. Heck, I won't spend that kind of money for the Eduard 110s that I have in my stash.

AML has a set of resin replacement Bf.109E props, really quite nice and very well priced. Pick up a couple and you've addressed the issue with the props.

Personally, even after all these years, I think this is an excellent kit, if anything to do as a practice build before doing your Eduard kit.

I got this kit last year at Hobbycraft for the grand total of £2!!! Gotta love it when they cock up the prices!! ;) I had a look at it, and I didn't think it was that bad actually. Was thinking of turning it into a C-4 as I have the Airfix C2/4 boxing. But I've only thought about it, haven't looked at it.

The cardboard cockpit looks good. I'd be happy with that! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

£2!!! you lucky sod.

as for the cockpit. the cardboard isnt thick enough to produce the raised details unless doubled over (as with the small detail at the back on the first picture) and you can hardly see that the yellow cables actualy are raised, so it will need doubleing. It proved the concept though and I have lots more details to add to the actual one I will use.

Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the info but £12.99 for one canopy is beyond my means :-)

Hi

One option maybe to buy the set, use the canopy, then sell the rest of the set on e bay or even on here maybe

cheers

Jerry