Dragon Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird +++ Finished +++

Bonhoff

Box Shot

8547105382_7284bb4f37.jpg

At £20 I'd say it was overpriced but when MZ reduced it to a tenner it seemed more reasonable - For that you get 35 nicely moulded parts and a sheet of Cartograph decals.

Cockpit is one piece and was painted up although you won't see much through the glazing.

The two halves of the aircraft were then glued together and clamped.

8547105372_651a0bb9aa.jpg

A little bit more work and we're here

8546009153_ca86b367f7.jpg

I've taken the decision to present the aircraft in flying condition - despite the lack of pilots - I'll refer you back to the very small windows :)

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

hi,looking nice,ive always liked this plane,even more when i found out the inventor who designed it,copied it off a u.f.o,he watched whilst flying?,i think thats right,anyway its still a nice kit....cheers Don

And this is where we are at the moment......

8550333234_a7a8d3f7d8.jpg

Sorry for the lack of pictures in between.

Basically it needed very little fettling or filler - only a little bit in the intakes - Primed out of a rattle can then airbrush 3 coats Tamiya matt black.

I used Tamiya gloss varnish for the first time - The top was brush painted and I then sprayed the bottom half.

A second brushed coat was needed on the underside as it didn't gloss up out of the airbrush. Any pointers as to the correct way to use Tamiya varnish?

Decals next - Really nicely printed but the red lines on top of the wings are a pain, the one I've done so far is a bit uneven.

8549234109_6d95a7b404.jpg

Not far off completion now but still need to sort a base once the aircraft has been flat varnished.

• 3 weeks later...