Tamiya Spitfire MK1 1:48th Canopy section.

lampie

Disaster strikes and just as I was getting close to finishing.

Just had a book drop off the shelf above the bench and land smack bang on the top of my Tamiya 1:48th Spit shattering the front/windscreen section of the canopy. ( And it was all going so well!)

Does anyone know to the availablity of a vacform replacement or by any chance have a spare?

Any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Nige

EDIT.

Just noticed that there are 2 windscreens included with the kit..phew......thats lucky!

:)

Edited by lampie

I am afraid not. There are two types of windscreens in Tamiya box. The only way You may be lucky is if You used the wrong one already, an that would have been the one killed by the book :).

Which one You need? It is almost sure the early one. I'll look. I had to destroy one windscreen to fit squadron vac, as it is not designed for Tamiya. Not sure which one. I also have spare vac, but as I said, it needs a lot of work to be used.

Hi :)

Thanks for offer but this one is a "quick" no stress OOB build and I'm not really concerned about accuracy to be honest.

I just want to get something done and in the cabinet as I've only finished one model in the last 18 months.

This Spit has been almost at the painting stage and left for over a year,

I have a 1:32 jug that's been on and off for 2 years, and once they are done I've a 1:48 jug ready for markings and the big Tamiya Mustang started.

Actually quite enjoying just "building" for a change :)

Thanks again for the insight and offer :)

Nige

Almost forgot,

I haven't forgotten about the Lanny article, I've just been up to my neck in life etc. Would you still like me to do it?

Nige

You dropped a book on it and all you lost was the windscreen?! Let's hear it for the armoured glass. Yes, there are plenty of vacs (if you can, get one designed for Tamiya, it might fit better), and as you've seen there are people willing to offer spares.

bob

The difference is a bit like Razorback/Bubbletop windscreen. Still do as You like. I have been dangling with a bits like flap telescopic actuators, canopy removal units or clear vision panel pins in my Spitfire lately, which is the very same Tamiya kit, so I feel a little touchy on Spit accuracy these days ;-).

Yes, I still want Lanny, of course. I am waiting patiently, which is easy now as we are rebuilding our site and it is quite asleep at the moment.

Good luck with Your builds!

Edited by greatgonzo

If the 48th kit is like the 72nd, then the second forward windscreen is the later version adopted from the Vc onwards (but retrofitted to some earlier Mk V aircraft) with the internal bulletproof glass. It's not really applicable to Mk 1s.

Cue other Spit experts proving me wrong.