1/48 F-104 Starfighter

Thanks Guys... I don't think I'm patient... just slow. lol I'm just glad it turned out okay. Still got loads to do.. including the canopy with all the PE... Just hoping I don't mess that up. Not doing any modelling tonight, I'm knackered, took me all day to do that yesterday, I was appliying masking tape about 1 1/2 after spraying though, which was great :) I am going to apply transfers... the closest I could get to the picture was the Lockheed F-104A Starfighter 60803 58th FIS 1959 by Microscale.

Got my new transfers. It's the closest I could find to the aircraft I'm trying to model... I think it should look okay. I've been spraying primer on the undercarriage doors, landing gear, flaps etc. I've got all the paint now so will spray the topside of the wings tomorrow. I was debating whether to pre-shade the wings, but looking at the photo's I have I don't think I will. I may just give then an acryillic wash... I'll see how it goes.

tail_zps17a3a479.jpg

plan1_zpsb4606755.jpg

plan2_zpscc286ca8.jpg

• Like 1

I've done the wings, inside of the UC doors and the red line round the tail of the fuselage. Doesn't look much but it took me two hours! Going to do the black base for the rudder, tailplane, doors etc tomorrow the the UC and wheels. I'll take some pics of the wings when they re dry.... more soon!....Hope you like it :)

red1_zps6f8f9fd6.jpg

red2_zps74298643.jpg

• Like 4

Wings on nd test fitted the exhaust. I tested microsol nd set on spre with lcld - it was fine... going to alclad the UC doors and tail plane next...

wi4_zps71e39312.jpg

wi1_zps7a12d677.jpg

wi3_zps65b326a8.jpg

wi2_zps27d7d83d.jpg

Dannnmmm, that is a master piece, I like that LOTSSSSS :yahoo:

Thank you for the nice comments :) Tested fitted flaps and slats, Tail on... and need to clean up the inside of the intakes. Allso sprayed the UC doors. I copuld still see pinmarks in the rudder, so I'm going to re-fill and rub down again. Starting to look more like a starfighter now. I'm looking forward to getting the decals on and I'm probably going to put future on the wings and flaps so I can give it a subtle oil wash... more to follow :)

tl4_zps995ad980.jpg

tl3_zpsfcc28fa4.jpg

tl2_zps72bfbc2a.jpg

tl6_zpsa2749ff9.jpg

tl5_zpsf654ef55.jpg

• Like 1

Gosh, I hate to throw a spanner in, but those golf-ball pocks on the white wing surface really stand out in a couple of the shots (the ones from a low angle, with tail close to camera). Maybe they look less obvious in real life, but I'm a little worried that they don't measure up to the artwork that is your fuselage. The 'rivets' work on the metal (even the tailplane).

Offered for your consideration, as objective (or even-keeled subjective) comment.

bob

• Like 1

Cracking finish but I do see what gingerbob means.

I can't remember seeing a better Alclad finish though.

Blinding job mate. :worthy:

Edit: You should definitely offer images of the finished article to Alclad for their gallery. It's a great advertisement for their product.

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks guys for all your encouragement, I've struggled a bit with this build sometimes (This being only my third build).

Gosh, I hate to throw a spanner in, but those golf-ball pocks on the white wing surface really stand out in a couple of the shots (the ones from a low angle, with tail close to camera). Maybe they look less obvious in real life, but I'm a little worried that they don't measure up to the artwork that is your fuselage. The 'rivets' work on the metal (even the tailplane).

Offered for your consideration, as objective (or even-keeled subjective) comment.

bob

I agree with you Bob, I think they look too toy like, so I'm going to wash and weather them. However, look at the pics below, they really do look .... white! lol But as i say on a model they look too toylike... :)

wing2_zps03b8f78c.jpg

wing1_zps2e4df413.jpg

Your Alclad finish is really stunning, tremendous work! I almost got a heart attack though when I saw you sticking Tamiya tape over the finished work - even if you didn't have any nasty disasters so far, please be very careful with sticky masking tape over high shine finishes. The regular Alclads are very tough, but the high shine finishes (Polished Aluminium, Airframe Aluminium, Chrome, Stainless Steel) can lift off with the tape if you're not careful...

As for the wings, the rivets were puttied over so new F-104's had nearly absolutely smooth wings. With wear and tear, repeated wing flexing and dirt accumulating, you started to see them in places, for instance on well-worn German F-104G's. Daco Models has a detail and correction set coming out at some point that includes smooth wings without the river craters.

Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey. I've been looking at your starfighter. You used Mr surfacer on yours. I think now I'll just lightly weather them and hope for the best. I've been okay with the tape - but I'll take heed! I usually stick it down and pull it up on a cutting mat a few times, it's worked so far. I'll have to mask some off to do the wings because I can't get oil paints or thinners anywhere near the fuselage.

Thanks guys. A comment from yesterday has got me really worried about the wings now and I've been fretting about what to do. I've been thinking maybe mask off the fuse and fill all the rivetts then re-sand and re-paint (all this with the wings attached). I'm worried about doing that because I may damage the fuselage, I'm not very good at getting my filler properly sanded... I think it would end up a mess and maybe ruin the whole build. So my final solution after many hours thinking about this is to brush a coat or two of future (maybe more) and let the future fill and level the rivet holes, then a light sanding, then decals and light weathering. That I think would cause minimum damage, it may not get rid of all the rivets but should reduce the overall effect.... thats all I can think of - if anyone can think of a better idea then please, PLEASE let me know... all idea's will be concidered......................... Thanks :)

First of all: Anything you are going to try, please do it on a model or pieces from the parts bin...

I would try fillers which are waterbased and so the excess can be wiped away with a damp cloth. Maybe Milliput will work or Tamiya 2-compound putty??? My second try would be white glue. If this fails maybe you can also fill each rivet with superglue (applied with a tooth stick or the like) and then sand. It will be more precise and less a mess than the usual putties. Eventually it is safer to simply keep the rivet "craters" which are next to the fuselage as a compromise to avoid damage to the NMF. And certainly cover the NMF with masking tape - if you are affraid that masking tape may damage the NMF then try Post-Its.

I keep fingers crossed.

Edited by Caerbannog