A late entry! 1/12 Yamaha YZR500 (OW70)

Mark

Sorry about thread-jack - sounds like there are a few two-stroke fans around here! :)

Still have my 1 owner from new '85 125LC (red with the 'swirly' wheels) - up on the bike lift being rebuilt back to original at present - when she was on the road she was clocked by mates on 350s at over the ton! Back then I lusted after an RD500 too - but ended up with an RG500 as it was the better bike (my loyalty to Yamaha and suspect Suzuki build quality aside.) It's currently keeping the RD company :)

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Sorry about thread-jack - sounds like there are a few two-stroke fans around here! :)

ended up with an RG500 as it was the better bike (my loyalty to Yamaha and suspect Suzuki build quality aside.)

You can't beat a good stroker... The RG was considered the better of the two.

By the time I figured I was able (for able, read capable) to ride an RG they were all either blown up, or, the one's that survived were going for "Telephone Numbers" in the classifieds.

A few years back... Well, quite a few years back I bought an RGV250 after popping in the bike shop for a bottle of 2T oil... World's most expensive oil, that!

Brand new, on a "G" Plate (90)... The guys said it was the first one they'd sold.

Got into A LOT of trouble on the little old RGV... Only had it for 14 months and amassed 9 points in that short time. Great Bike.

• Like 1

RGV250 was a loony machine - great fun! And yes - that was an expensive bottle of oil! :worthy:

I took my FZR thou into a local dealer about 10 years ago with a charging problem - left with it working - but needing a lift back for the old Ducati I thought needed a good home - that was an expensive visit too... :doh:

All the strokers are going for good money these days (not ridden any of the current crop of 125s/250s - but I'm sure they're nowhere near the 'old' smokers in performance terms). RG5s are heading for the £10k mark!! I got into big four strokes - but wouldn't be without a 2-stroke...

<rose tinted specs> I do think the 80's/early '90s was a great period for bikes - happy days! :wicked:

Hope Mark doesn't mind thread creep! :whistle:

Iain

Hope Mark doesn't mind thread creep!

Really, I couldn't give a flying monkey's err, well, some analogy that I can't think of right now. But no, I don't mind at all due to:

A.) You mentioned the word Ducati

B.) I'm skiing in the Pyrenees right now, so thread drift as much as you want!!

Hi all,

I'm back home and am going to have an afternoon at the modelling desk. Good to see progress on some of the other entries and I am hoping to get my entry finished over the next few days, after all, the 3rd April isn't that far away!

So, it's back to the YZR500 and today is mostly going to be a bodywork day with the final touching up to be done and getting a coat of varnish on the tank and fairing. I'll be letting that dry overnight and then decals tomorrow.

And there's progress!!

After a quick assessment of what needs to be done, I realised that I am far from finished! So it was off to the spray booth for a quick coat of varnish on the body panels and tank. For this I chose a new addition to me arsenal and, well... :wub: I chose Humbrol's new formula gloss acrylic and this is really superb stuff! It builds up into a gloss coat so after a dust coat, followed by a slightly heavier coat, I got a nice satin finish. A further coat gave my a semi-gloss finish and I guess that as the coats build up, you get a glossier sheen. But I did not want that 'watery' gloss finish as seen on the modern cars / bikes, so after decalling I left it with one further coat and got a really nice satin / gloss sheen that I was hoping for. Anyway, here are the photos from the last two days:

DSC_2719_zpsbe6ad840.jpg

DSC_2720_zps5d504b82.jpg

DSC_2721_zps2c8a949b.jpg

DSC_2724_zps746a6661.jpg

DSC_2727_zps19c27836.jpg

DSC_2728_zpsc2abb494.jpg

DSC_2729_zps30a0fd7c.jpg

The yellow number panels that are on each side of the fairing were supplied as decals, but the right hand side one was to be forced over a complex curved panel as well as a side intake. Well, for the love of Microsol and a hairdryer, I was never going to get that one to settle down, so a quick mix of Zero Paints Camel Yellow and a bit of Brilliant White were matched up as best as possible to the decals and the right hand side panel was then masked and sprayed. The decals were problem free other than that and then (I just couldn't resist it!!) the body parts and tank were all test fitted in place again. The final job tonight was to give the large windshield a good dip in a tub of Johnson's Kleer / Future and then let that dry until final assembly.

Tomorrow I will be completing the front forks and further wiring / hosing as well as the instrument panel and then tidying up that rear bright orange triangle on the lower, rear body fairing. It's driving me nuts not being quite right....

Anyway, night all!!

Looking great, although my eyes hurt afterwards :) The varnish certainly looks good and I like the sound of the control it gives - do you get a smooth surface at the different stages?

Cheers guys!

Will, yes, it sprays on well, although looked a little 'rippley' (a new word I've just invented meaning it had lots of ripples) but it self-levelled beautifully whilst it dried. After one coat it was smooth enough to accept decals, but subsequent coats gave a smoother and glossier finish.

Not a lot will be going on over Easter, but this will get to the finish line!

Happy Easter everyone! Now don't eat too much chocolate over the weekend!

Well, she's finished and in the gallery now. Here's what she ended up looking like and overall, well, I'm actually quite happy. There are a few areas that got rushed towards the end, but the fact that I finished a GB must go on record please Mish!!

MIK_9222_zpsa47a4c75.jpg

So after having seen Will Vale's photoshop skills, I thought I'd have a bit of fun too! Although it looks as though the fairing needs to be remounted properly...

YZR500_zpsa5b4ffe6.jpg

Nice work! You went for a much trickier scenario with the direct sunlight, but the shadow looks terrific.

If I could offer a tiny bit of advice, it's to continue the shadow through the spokes of the front wheel, and maybe tweak the levels a tiny bit to darken the bike layer? Not sure - it is a day-glo finish :)

W

Cheers Colin! It's been a great GB, small and friendly! It has certainly got me more into the Motorsport arena. Freddie Spencer's Honda is next!