1/72 - Saab J-29A/B Tunnan by Tarangus - released

Homebee

Source: http://www.tarangus.se/

Our first kit in 1/72 scale the J 29A/B Tunnan!

The J 29 Tunnan was the first European fighter which could match the F-86 Sabre and Mig-15 for performance. The bulky Ghost engine gave the airplane its round shape, which earned it the nickname Flygande Tunnan (The Flying Barrel in English). It first flew in 1948, piloted by Bob Moore, a former RAF pilot, who after the first flight said On the ground an ugly duckling but in the air a swan! The Tunnan stayed in service until the early 1970′s. The last years it served as a target tug. It was also exported to Austria.

The aircraft that our first attempt in the 72-scale represents is an aircraft of the first two variants. The J 29A and J 29B only differed in internal fuel volume, had a non-afterburning engine and a wing that lacked the saw tooth of the later versions. The J 29B also served as part of the Swedish Air Force unit that was sent to Congo in the 1960s.

The Tunnan is expected to be released during early summer. More information on this kit to come!

This entry was posted in Blog on March 4, 2013 by Fredrik.

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

• 2 months later...

Want a couple of them! Any word on UK price yet?

Paul Harrison

• 1 month later...

http://www.tarangus.se/2013/07/15/the-saab-j-29ab-tunnan-is-ready-for-take-off/

From Tarangus news mail:
The new Saab J 29A/B Tunnan in 1/72 scale is ready for delivery!
We're very proud to announce that our first kit in 1/72 scale is ready for delivery! The Saab J 29A/B Tunnan is now ready for shipping to hobby shops worldwide. This kit will have the same fine detailing that Tarangus has been known for. It comes with markings for several aircraft in Swedish Air Force markings as well as for an aircraft serving with the United Nations in the Kongo during the 60's.
Please talk to your local hobby store and place your orders now to secure delivery of this fine kit!
P.S. The JA37 Viggen in 1/48 scale should be ready by the end of September. D.S

/Johan

Edited by flarpen

• 2 weeks later...

No sprue pics just yet, but they have put up the instructions to all their kits including the tunnan (not viggen yet though).

http://www.tarangus.se/ta7201-saab-j-29ab-tunnan/instructions-ta7201/

/Johan

Any chance of work starting an a new tool Viggen in 1/72? ;)

Oh and while I'm asking, instead of me having to employ major plastic surgery to my Marivox Saab 105, would you be able to give me hope that a nice new tool of that may be in your future plans?

What other plans would you have for aircraft in 1/72, or would that be spoiling things for the rumourmongers?

Martin

Martin

Edited by Lightningboy2000
  • Like 2

Want a couple of them! Any word on UK price yet?

Paul Harrison

Hannants show £24.99 which is a bit steep for me as you can get the new tool Lanc for less.

Julien

Hannants show £24.99 which is a bit steep for me as you can get the new tool Lanc for less.

Julien

Bit much for my liking and I like Saabs and all things Swedish. As nice as it probably will be, i'll give it a miss for now.

Different version I know, but I got my 3 Heller Tunnans (including an original sealed black box one) and a nice decal sheet for many options for less than one of these. All I need is an early wing conversion which i'll get someday

What are the polyurethane parts, some kind of resin?

Chris

Pricy. But due to the utter flop of the AZ kit, I will probably go for the smaller scale kit.

Frankly I have it almost unstarted in the box. I only started to make a seamless intake/exhaust for it. I heared about the canopy and nose shape issues which are addressed by a very expensive aftermarket set. I would be fine with a replacement canopy I think and do the rest myself. Furthermore I reacall an issue with the landing gear length, but that is "all" I know of. Are there more problems?

Do you mean that the kit is an utter flop for accuracy reason or do you mean it is a utter flop comerically?

Maybe Tarangus will bring out a new tool Tunnan in 1-48 scale, but it will be around the double price of the AZ I suppose. Not a surety for good sales :-(

Lansen and Viggen are without competitors in the market (Esci/Airfix is really inaccurate and expensive and OOP) so they are a rather safe bet for Tarangus I would say.

And then there is the rumor that AZ will release a corrected version next year or so.

Edited by Caerbannog

I think you can count on 1/72 scale versions of the Lansen and Viggen eventually. The CAD is already done so..

About the Tunnan, that kit will only come in 1/72 scale, as AZ will release a J 29A/B in 1/48 in a year or two.

When it comes to the Sk60, Saab 105, we can only hope that Pilot Replicas will be able to release their kit eventually. The design is beautiful but I understand that they've hit a snag with the intended mould maker..

icon_share.pngCaerbannog wrote:

Do you mean that the kit is an utter flop for accuracy reason or do you mean it is a utter flop comerically?

Both. As you stated, the nose is incredibly inaccurate and can only be fixed with the resin replacement. Also, the kit is way overpriced for the type of moldings IMHO. NeoOmega makes a wonderful resin kit, but it is very expensive. :weep:

Edited by Mike Esposito

AFAIK the Neomega molds had worn quickly and only the first batch came out very good. The later production was already reported to be ... difficult? At least it vanished rather quickly from the market as I remember - too quickly for me anyway...

So I went with the AZ Tunnan but really do not like to invest in the Maestro set as I think it is as overpriced as the AZ Tunnan... Dunno what to do with it. :badmood: