1955 Le Mans 300SLR and Jaguar D

Geoff King

Hello! Wonder if I could chip in with two kits for this GB? I had originally planned to do the 1957 Costin Maserati 450S, which I may still get to, but thought I might try my hand at these two beauties first. If I need to split them to two separate build threads just let me know, I was hoping do these concurrently.

Both are 1/43 scale resin kits, the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR is a Southern Cross Miniatures kit and the Jaguar D is from Provence Moulage. I would like to do the 300SLR driven by Levegh/Fitch, race number 20 and the Jag driven by Hawthorn/Bueb, race number 6, on that fateful day in 1955.

Here are a couple of shots "out of the box". I look forward to the builds, especially that Alfa!!

Cheers,

Geoff

DSC00585_zps055a1b74.jpg

DSC00587_zps55d57657.jpg

DSC00588_zps34eb4640.jpg

Iconic images of the D-Type accelerating down the Mulsanne Straight are now etched into my mind! Great choice of kit and we're really widening the eras that are being covered now. Good luck!

Thanks Gents! I hope I will do these two justice. A little work for today, a coat of automotive primer on the resin bits. Its the best primer I've found for resin kits, it has a little more bite and adheres better than the "resin specific" stuff I've tried out there. Let it dry overnight and time for some sanding. With the wifey and kid away for a couple days I have lots of free time! :banghead:

Love the kits on the board, lots of great choices! I look forward to watching the builds.

Cheers,

Geoff

DSC00590_zps698e0687.jpg

Geoff. Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir, but a word of caution. Though not as bad as Starter decals, older PM sheets don't always age very well and that is a very old PM kit that you have there. You might want to give them a coat of lacquer or liquid carrier film before attempting to use them to be on the safe side.

No worries! I appreciate the input, and to be honest had not even thought of the decals yet. They appear to be okay, but to be sure I used the PM logo decal on a test run. It didn't fall apart, but it showed no effects from liberal application of Micro Set and Sol. I tried some Daco Products Strong Decal Setting solution and that seems to work nicely. I will take your advice and coat the sheet with a clear finish. I have some work to do before I get to that point!

Here are a couple of pics for inspiration(if I have this new phtobucket fiured out!). I love that Mercedes!

Cheers,

Geoff

sharonov_tumblr_com1955LemansMercedes-Be

Jaguar-DType_zpsfcd76e5f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after a week in Spain and another week to recover I can finally get back at it!

That is an airbrake that pops up behind the driver, guess the old drum brakes had a difficult time handling the speeds.

Quick question about Jag color. After looking at color photos and comparing them to the British Racing Green I have used for the interior(and planned for the exterior), the BRG looks quite a bit lighter than the color in the photos. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to the correct color for the Jaguar D? Or am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! Love the work done by all of you so far!

Cheers,

Geoff

Geoff,

Zero paints do a dark BRG in their ready mixed range. Has to airbrushed on though.

This is always going to be subjective at best. Personally, I use a dark green from Halfords and decant it in to a glass jar. I then mix Halfords black with it until I am happy.

Until someone turns up at a model show with an actual colour chip from the car, it will look right to me.

I haven't had any bad feedback yet, unless that means everyone is being overly polite?

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally made it back but not with any good news. Thanks for the advice about colors, I will probably attempt the black base coat and see how it goes from there. Unfortunately I haven't made much headway as that ugly thing called "work" has gotten in the way of things and prevented me from getting to the bench. It seems the next three months will be much of the same and I will have little to no time to putter away!

So, it looks as though I will have to withdraw for now and hopefully post some further build pics on the general forum later on this year. Thanks for the chance to get in the mix and congrats to some beautiful work in this Group Build!

Cheers,

Geoff