Aeroclub Neptune, Canadian.

Paul J

I'm sure I posted a pic of one of my chosen subjects for this Gb but can't find it. So, I'm starting again. Also I feel my interest is coming back hence some progress pics too.

img1699z.jpg

And...
img1758fp.jpg

And some more pics:

img1756fj.jpg

img1757bo.jpg

img1703e.jpg

img1754rj.jpg

These show various stages of some work to be done to some of the fitting faces, parts etc....

Edited by Paul J

I've never seen one of these being built so I'll follow with interest as I have one stashed away. Where are you going to get the RCAF marking?

David

Got 2 of these, one earmarked for RAF, the other for USN target tug/drone carrier

Be interesting to see how this builds

Cheers chaps. I spent the last hour or so trying to get to grips loading the photos here from imageshack. Its all new to me after having used photobucket prviously. ANyway to the kit, its started to go together well but needs a little prep vac form style to the mating faces. As for the decals, I'll be using a set from CanMilair and will be in the overall dark blue finish. Have had the decals in my stock for some time and now seems a good time to get on with it. A case of making hay etc.... while I have got a little inspiration in me during my lack of enthusiasm at the mo!

Edit: Just noticed the phots are out of sequence! But you'll get the drift as progress goes on.

Edited by Paul J

I'm striking plastic while the glue is wet!!(so to speak) I had quite a good evening last night on this job and managed some piccies too for you to enjoy.

So. The next batch of pics show quite a bit of construction and filling going on. Captions added where I feel they are needed.

img1771bv.jpg

Decals for this build.

img1762m.jpg

Nose weights added. The saw cuts just to the rear are in error. I nearly cut the bay too big!

img1766ma.jpg

img1764v.jpg

Nose wheel bay opened up with a false roof to accomodate the nose gear. And the other view is of the fuselage put together and work on wings and engine pods.

img1770d.jpg

Wing undersides. One wing has had some work done to the inside of the main gear bay with a touch of make believe detail. It needs something there for the main legs to fix to.

img1768nd.jpg

Underwing jet pods and tip tanks. Note: one has had the pipe paired to a reasonable level to achieve an authentic look. Not brilliant but a necessary job.

img1769op.jpg

And another view with a new tool I discovered. see next image.

img1767v.jpg

This 'curvy' sanding stick is just perfect for sanding down join lines where curved/rounded sufaces are needed to be kept that way instead of sanding them flat. You can find these in your local Boots for under a 5iver! They are the creation of the inventor guy on 'The Apprentice' and was the winner in a series a couple of years back. Two versions of this tool are available a sanding one and a polishing one. There is a third one which is described as an 'Emergency nail file'. Brilliant!

img1772ns.jpg

And finally for this evening, an overall view of sub assemblies and work done so far. The tiny 'T' shaped parts are the blister/ fairings representing electronics I suspect. The thin stems are just part of the moulding and get trimmed off leaving just the aerofoil shaped blistersbefore fixing.

So now, I'm off back to the shed and get on with it ( while I'm still in the mood!

Edited by Paul J

Some spare time over the weekend was spent doing some more to this. Its got to the painting stage now so the pics here lead up to the next segment to come.

img1774cb.jpg

img1779ac.jpg

Main gear bays lined.

img1775b.jpg

img1777nj.jpg

Top and unders of some progress. Here you can see the little electronic fairings in place from the tiny white metal parts.

img1780ut.jpg

On its wheels and primed.

And,below,transparencies in place and masked on the nose, cockpit and wingtip searchlight. This last item is a bit too short and blunt but thats the way its moulded on the vacform kit part. It was enough just cutting it from the sheet, shaping and fitting it, in saving it from getting lost

img1784dm.jpg

Nose doors to be fitted here from scrap plastic card.

img1788q.jpg

Underwing pylons from Slaters Micro strip plastic. And another primer coat before painting in the dark blue scheme with re wing tips and tailplanes.

img1791c.jpg

And now in place.(both wings)

Edited by Paul J

There is going to be a slight mod to this. I've since found out that the Canadian Neptunes did not have all those blisters fitted. Just the rearmost pair at the lower rear fuselage so the errant ones will be popped off and the areas rendered.... before I take to the painting stage.

Mty thanks to Scott hemsley for much assistance and info.

Edited by Paul J

While I have been messing around with the Boeing elsewhere here in WIP, some progress has been done with the Neptune....

img1798vs.jpg

Primed and the red wing tips and tailplanes have been painted and masked for the dark blue main colour.

img1799eq.jpg

And the unders. I have removed th small blisters except the rearmost wo as the others shouldn't be there as mentioned above. The clear parts need to be remasked and then the blue and some final bits.

A bit more progress with the main colouring done. Fianl detailing and decalling next. But here are a few more photos of the paintwork:

img1803d.jpg

img1806nw.jpg

img1804r.jpg

And a couple with masking removed exposing the red areas. Juat the undercart areas to do, tidy up around the clear parts, Jet pipes and other small areas before decalling.

A couple more this evening with decaling work.

img1809sr.jpg

A close up(I know.... its not a brilliant pic!!)showing very thin yellow decal strips applied to represent the canopy and nose cone sealant strips. Each piece applied singly!!

img1810x.jpg

Another fuzzy shot (doh!) But with a few more decals going on...

img1808ow.jpg

And finally a side view. Next images will be in gallery as its finished now.

Cheers folks. It has been a bit problematical around the windscreen areas. Trying to find where the frame lines are on the vacform canopy is a nightmare. I do need to tidy it up really. But the dark blue paint on clear with a dark interior doesn't help.

Anyway, pics of the finished job later today.

First pic of completed build. The rest are in the gallery page of this GB.

img1811fw.jpg

I quite enjoyed this build. The kit went together reasonably well for a limited run kit. Some filler was needed in places where the tree trunk sized sprues held the parts(see earlier in build photos near top of thread) but this is down to how the kit is tooled. (No offence John!) The faults I found were small but signifcant. The starboard wingtip search light vac form moulded clear part is a bit too rounded and short instead of matching the port wing tip tank. The underwing jet pods appear a bit too 'fat' along the length but are OK. Finally the exhaust ports on each engine. There should be one on the right hand side and two on the left, but the parts only depict the single outlets so it looks a little odd.Much like the engines on the DC-7. And there is a lack of nose wheel doors but these are easily fashioned from plastic sheet. While mentioning the undercar area, the main wheel hubs remind me of a truck and the nosewheel a bit odd in the hub detail. BUT, I am not complaining as I am very happy to have a decent looking Neptune in 1/144 in my collection.

With nose weight added and the metal parst like the u/cart and props, the model feels quite weighty and solid!

Myself and others would no doubt like our man at Aeroclub re issuing this hopefully!! How about it John?

Very nice indeed Paul - I'll be settling for Hasegawa's 1/72 version in my collection as a 1/48 one is a long way from appearing