1/48 - MiG-25PD/PDS "Foxbat-E" by Kitty Hawk - released - Master pitot tube

Homebee

This is great news. I've wanted a decent size Foxbat for eons. I was going to go to town on my RoG kit, as well. I had gathered a Neomega pit and a few Eduard PE sets, but the kit requires so much cutting, chopping and changing that I never got started on it.

I have a Condor 72nd version on the go (slowly, on the back burner, with some other projects), but 48th is more my scale.

Can't wait. :)

Nice but now there is another old kit in my stash that I'll find it hard to bother building now. A Mig-31 would have been better seeing as there isn't a 1/48 kit at present. But all the same, I expect it will be a big improvement over the Revell effort.

I might be biasd as I'm not a fan of the Mig 31 but a new Foxbat's been desperately needed for years. We only have the old Revell in 1/48th and the Hasegawa in 1/72nd. The ICM kit's not very good either. Nice detail on some of the exterior but there isn't any frames on the canopy.

Now that has made my day. One of the most menacing looking Russian aircraft ever built. With this and GWH's MiG 29 plus Trumpie's MiG 23, there is something of a purple patch for Soviet aircraft at the moment.

Perhaps if we ask Mr Song nicely he will give us some more!

Hello,

Looks Great, but why bombs? The PD/PDS was an interceptor...Is it hint to future recon/attack versions RB?

It doesn't look quite the same with bombs. A Mig 25 has to have underwing rockets to look cool.

It doesn't look quite the same with bombs. A Mig 25 has to have underwing rockets to look cool.

Lol!! Bombs, rockets, missiles, kitchen sinks!! I'll buy 'em all!!.

One assumes multiple options? Put me down for at least 4!!! :lol: . I need to get the Begemot MiG 25 sheet used!!

Allan

Lol!! Bombs, rockets, missiles, kitchen sinks!! I'll buy 'em all!!.

One assumes multiple options? Put me down for at least 4!!! :lol: . I need to get the Begemot MiG 25 sheet used!!

Allan

I'm in for one with the kitchen sink!

I wonder if we will get a MiG-31 also, saw one of them at Farnborough and it was a beast.

Julien

I'd prefer a Mig 31 Firefox but seeing as the real life Mig 31's based on the Mig 25 I wouldn't be surprised if KH's tooled it so one could be made. It's like a less interesting version of the Mig 25 to me though.

:lol::lol: Who'll be first to produce a Russian kitchen sink as an accessory I wonder?

We've had some bizarre kits of desks, chairs and tables recently by some Japanese manufacturer so maybe they'll stick a kitchen sink in with the Mig.

Now all we need is a new tool SR-71 to go along side it!

Another famous subject long overdue for a new tooling in 1/72 or 1/48th (even if the recent Dragon kit was quite nice).

Now all we need is a new tool SR-71 to go along side it!

So along with the disppointing news that my Revell Foxbat is a mere caricature of the real thing, am I now to beleive that the Italeri/Testors Blackbird is a poor effort too?

Not the end of the world in that case though as it's probably a bit big to model anyway, especially after realising my error in taking on the 48th Hercules. I'm gonna need a bigger house!

Yeah the italeri/testors kit isn't great but still pretty sought after, I have seen them go for over £50! I really do find it surprising that no one has produced a new tool of what is an iconic aircraft! There is even on sitting at duxford waiting to be measured!

I got the 1-48 SR-71 for my 16th Birthday. The interiour detail is very basic and so i decided to wait for something to happen aftermarket wise. When the True Detail sets became avaialble (or as soon as I realized about them) it still took me a long while (I rescribed it and had to get a new decal sheet as the old one got lost) so in the end I could finish it 16 years later :-)

Shapewise it is quite good I think - maybe the nose is too narrow from above. I try not to find out... If there will be a new tool I would definitely buy it - no question about it.

I'd prefer a Mig 31 Firefox but seeing as the real life Mig 31's based on the Mig 25 I wouldn't be surprised if KH's tooled it so one could be made. It's like a less interesting version of the Mig 25 to me though.

Firefox is the ficticious MiG in the Clint Eastwood film if the same name.

The MiG-31 is the Foxhound - and I doubt that KH could make a MiG-31 using the MiG-25 moulds - they are so different it would need new moulds.

It's a bit like making a Super Hornet from a Legacy Hornet....... you might as well start from scratch.

Ken

Firefox is the ficticious MiG in the Clint Eastwood film if the same name.

The MiG-31 is the Foxhound - and I doubt that KH could make a MiG-31 using the MiG-25 moulds - they are so different it would need new moulds.

It's a bit like making a Super Hornet from a Legacy Hornet....... you might as well start from scratch.

Ken

Well blow me down with a feather! I never knew the Firefox was that brilliant fictious fighter from the film of the same name starring Clint Eastwood (one of my favourite aircraft since I saw it in the mid 80s... even though it wasn't real).

On a slightly more serious note you might be right about the Foxhound but surely there must be a few parts they could use seeing as they look so similar (apart from the cockpit area).

Yeah the italeri/testors kit isn't great but still pretty sought after, I have seen them go for over £50! I really do find it surprising that no one has produced a new tool of what is an iconic aircraft! There is even on sitting at duxford waiting to be measured!

Saw a Testors boxing in Marionville Models near Edinburgh on Saturday going for £50. Was tempted but it's TOOO BIG! for my house. Did get their 48th Bronco though. Went in for a couple of packs of scalpel blades and some putty/filler, came out with four large bags of kits!

Paul Harrison

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a Testors boxing in Marionville Models near Edinburgh on Saturday going for £50. Was tempted but it's TOOO BIG! for my house. Did get their 48th Bronco though. Went in for a couple of packs of scalpel blades and some putty/filler, came out with four large bags of kits!

Paul Harrison

£50 is a bit much I think. However, I was able to pick up a couple on ebay over the last 2 years. £37 including post was the more xpensive one. Might be worth checking out. I'd really like the YF-12A as well but, the only ones I've seen were going for totally silly prices!!

Allan

£50 is a bit much I think. However, I was able to pick up a couple on ebay over the last 2 years. £37 including post was the more xpensive one. Might be worth checking out. I'd really like the YF-12A as well but, the only ones I've seen were going for totally silly prices!!

Allan

£50 is about the going rate for the Blackbird now. I've seen them both in stores and auctions and it's nearly always close to that. Was watching a YF-12 on ebay couple of months back. If I recall correctly it went for just shy of £100. They do seem as rare as rocking horse muck.

After reading about the dimensional errors in the Revell Foxbat I will definitely use that for airbrushing practice and add the KH kit to my most wanted list.

£50 is about the going rate for the Blackbird now. I've seen them both in stores and auctions and it's nearly always close to that. Was watching a YF-12 on ebay couple of months back. If I recall correctly it went for just shy of £100. They do seem as rare as rocking horse muck.

After reading about the dimensional errors in the Revell Foxbat I will definitely use that for airbrushing practice and add the KH kit to my most wanted list.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TESTORS-1-48-Lockheed-SR-71-BLACKBIRD-Spyplane-FACTORY-SEALED-BOX-Vintage-/181102825588?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a2a91d074

This might interest you although, it's over £50 if you add the postage from the USA. I need at least one more but,I'm letting this one go!! Bidding on other things right now!! :lol: . Would look good next to the MiG.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

• 3 weeks later...

New CAD pics from the future Kitty Hawk "Foxbat"

Source: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/04/kittyhawk-takes-on-foxbat-in-48th-scale.html#more

But Kitty Hawk being Kitty Hawk, a lot of - serious - approximations and lack of research have already been observed in these new CAD pics and documented here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=261953&st=80

In 2013 we could expect a bit more serious research work, especially that almost 100% of information/photos/measurements about the MiG-25 are widely available. Same goes for the Jaguar, the F-35, the Mirage F-1...

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(11).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(1).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(2).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(3).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(4).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(7).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(6).jpg

KittyHawkth+Mig+-25++(10).jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee