Tarangus 1:48 Viggen News & another release

Mike

tarangus.jpg

Some of you will have received the newsletter from Tarangus concerning their much anticipated (by me and plenty of others) 1:48 kit of the Saab Viggen. They have decided to dump the short-run technology and go for a full-metal modern tooling that will have the effect of improving the finished article, but delay its release until the summer. GOOD says I!!! :) I'd rather a better Viggen than one in my hands now. More power to their Swedish elbows, and good luck with the extra work they've let themselves in for!

In the same newsletter, they announced their first 1:72 kit, which is the J 29A/B Tunnan. I know a lot of folks will be happy to hear that, and the fact that it's going to be with us before the big Viggen should be a bonus! The projected release date is to be April/May, which isn't all that far away as we are already through the first week of March. I've already entreated them to scale it up to 1:48, but who listens to me? ;)

Tunnan.jpg

Sounds like things are progressing well at Tarangus - great news! ^_^

I do love Swedish built planes! I have the old ESCI Viggen at my parents that I'm considering throwing a tonne of resin at, will sit nicely next to this once it's out!

Hopefully the barrel will come out in 48th too in due course ;)

Oh yes! ^_^ Next I shall be mostly waiting (hoping) for a two-seater too :pray:

Same here... trouble is, if they do that, Kitty Hawk will then bring out a two-seater Jag, and then it's goodbye bank balance. So I'll be poor and happy :D.

Good news about the Viggen tooling. I agree - we have waited so long for a good Viggen in 1-48, we can wait some weeks longer for an even better one.

A 1-48 Tunann would be fine. Yet in this case I will keep my AZ Model which I already started. But if I would build a second one I would likely take a look at Tarangus one first...

Hope they will release a Saab 21 in 1:48 scale some day.

About the same price as the old ESCI/Airfix kit on ebay!! And half the price if you factor in all the aftermarket needed for the Airfix.

• 3 months later...

I might just break my self-imposed boycott of military subjects for this one! In fact I will, I've wanted a 1/48 Swedish pair* for years!!!

*Draken and Viggen you dirty lot!!

....nope, couldn't resist. Pre-ordered at Hannants. Now where do I find the correct shades of greens for the splinter scheme? :mental:

....nope, couldn't resist. Pre-ordered at Hannants. Now where do I find the correct shades of greens for the splinter scheme? :mental:

Good point. Strangely Xtracolours and White Ensign do not offer Swedish paint and I also could not find any other modelpaint company. But IPMS Stockholm has nice colour charts which can help in mixing:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-sweden/

Or you search in the topics here...

Rene

• 3 months later...

Hannants giving a release date of Sept 2013, but still no sign of the Viggen. Tarangus' own website says Summer 2013. Anyone got inside info? Mike?

Mark - last I heard (from Tarangus' Facebook page) they had had further problems with the mould-maker, and were apologising for having to put back the release again. I don't recall what the issues were. I suspect this will be a case of "sit and wait", and it will turn up eventually. It'll be worth it :).

Mark - last I heard (from Tarangus' Facebook page) they had had further problems with the mould-maker, and were apologising for having to put back the release again. I don't recall what the issues were. I suspect this will be a case of "sit and wait", and it will turn up eventually. It'll be worth it :).

I understand that fairly late on they decided to change their plans and make this kit a fully blown (for want of a better word) kit as opposed to a limited run, hence the delay. As John says, it should be worth the wait.

I might just break my self-imposed boycott of military subjects for this one! In fact I will, I've wanted a 1/48 Swedish pair* for years!!!

*Draken and Viggen you dirty lot!!

Three page instructions Mark?

I put it on backorder at Hannants and think to recall it is postponed to January (certainly I cannot remember who told me so...). However - as it is delayed and delayed I would not take any date announced for granted and wait patiently as I know: A new tool Viggen is on the way and I think it will be worth the wait :Tasty:

Rene

The delay has been discussed here somewhere and I had a chat with MPM at Telford as well. AFAIK you're correct in that the moulds are upgraded from the original specification. I think there was some modification work done as well. Mr MPM man says it will be with us and his issues of the kit will be not too long after. After getting the He115 floats wrong (and resolving the matter very quickly) he wants to make sure it's right as they know it's a lot of money for a kit nowadays.

Bit OT but I really should have been strong and brought the whistles and bells JAS 39D Gripen :weep:

Just had a quick look at the Tarangus page, and grabbed this (from the 4th of October):

For those of you waiting for the Viggen.. Just as we were preparing our warehouse to make room for the Viggen kits, our supplier informs us of further delays.

The mould has required additional design work and we will probably see deliveries in January. As soon as we have more updates, we will keep you posted!

They're doing the right thing in making sure everything works correctly. Looking forward to it :).

• 9 months later...

Last it was mentioned on their Facebook page was this exchange - I honestly don't know what the holdup is:

• Like 1