1:72 Revell Hurricane Mk.IIc

Hurricane Mk.IIc

Kit: Revell

Scale: 1:72

Paint: Xtracrylic, Citadel

Extras: Tamiya weathering system, Flory dark wash

As I'm still breaking into 1:72 following my decision to change from 1:48 I wanted to try a few techniques out so I selected this kit as a test bed. At 1:48 I have nearly always freehand airbrushed my camouflage, so I wanted to see if I could do it at 1:72, also I struggle with Xtrcrylic paints so again this was another test.

Everything has sort of worked but there is a hand full of errors of my making so nowhere near the best quality I can produce, but if you dim the lights and squint at it from six feet away it sort of looks acceptable.

DSC_0190_zps1fb2180e.jpg

DSC_0191_zps79861fdb.jpg

DSC_0192_zps8dcc481e.jpg

DSC_0193_zpsd970e6be.jpg

DSC_0194_zps6ae3d5f1.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

Nice Hurri Mish

I'm with you with the Xtracrylics, try get some of the Agama RED top (alcohol based) paints, available from a couple of shops in the Czech republic. They give the same colours but spray nicely when thinned with IPA or Mr Levelling thinners - should help with scaling down.

Peter

• Like 1

Looks very nice Mish, was working on one myself until the dog got a hold of it and lost a tail plane. Totally ruined it :( I'd be happy with a result like yours, I can't see any errors. Very very nice :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• Like 1

Nice work Mish. Your airbrushing skills look to be more than up to the job of the smaller scale.

Andrew

• Like 1

Excellent results I must say! This is a lovely little model to build I think, as I also built this and painted it in this scheme. Only I did it with a hairy stick, oils & pastels.

Looking at yours I must add the aerial wire!

Martin

• Like 1

Errors, smerrors. hell, I'd be rapt if I could produce this. They'll tell you too that the the Revell Hurricane isn't up to much too but to me it always looks right & this one even more so :thumbsup:

Steve.

• Like 1

Thank you all, I really wasn't expecting this reception.

Nice Hurri Mish

I'm with you with the Xtracrylics, try get some of the Agama RED top (alcohol based) paints, available from a couple of shops in the Czech republic. They give the same colours but spray nicely when thinned with IPA or Mr Levelling thinners - should help with scaling down.

Peter

Thanks peter, I'll see if I can find some to try out, got a Kittyhawk in the stash that will need desert camo.

It looks really nice Mish - how did you do the exhaust staining?

Pat

Pat, I use Tamiya weathering system applied with their applicator and a cotton bud. I used the following colours: Soot, Oil Stain and grey.

I apply the soot first, then a little oil stain then finally just a little grey and then blend them together using a front to back stroke with a cotton bud.

Hope that helps

Got the lights on as normal here Mish(though I s'pose I'm more than 6foot away),it looks

a pretty tidy DAF Hurri to me.

I love these Revell "couple of quid"kits,pretty good detail,nicely moulded and a nice decal sheet to boot

for not much more than pocket money prices.

Try the Fw190 Nightfighter and the P47 Jug too,they also build up pretty nicely.

• Like 1

Thanks guys

Got the lights on as normal here Mish(though I s'pose I'm more than 6foot away),it looks

a pretty tidy DAF Hurri to me.

I love these Revell "couple of quid"kits,pretty good detail,nicely moulded and a nice decal sheet to boot

for not much more than pocket money prices.

Try the Fw190 Nightfighter and the P47 Jug too,they also build up pretty nicely.

Thanks Miggers, I have a couple more of the cheap Revel and Airfix kits that I'll be practising on

I echo Bill's (Navy Bird) comments - welcome to the One, True Faith, I mean, Scale! Lovely-looking little Hurricane you have there - definitely looks spot-on to these tired, old eyes. Just as a question in general, would this kit lend itself to conversion to a Bofors-armed tank killer? I rather fancy a Soviet version of that particular Hurricane. To me, everything looks better with Red Stars!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1