Jasmine Models 1:350 Type VIIc U-Boat

Shar2

Type VIIc U-Boat
Jasmine Models 1:350

pack.jpg

It is very nice to see a new company releasing some interesting models and etched update sets. So it is with Jasmine Models, having already released an etched update set for the Kitty Hawk F-35B they have now released their first kit. But this one is with a twist, a 1:350 scale Type VIIc U-Boat, entirely in etched brass, producing a 3D skeletal model. The kit comes on two sheets of relief etched brass, both secured on a sheet of card and covered in a protective film.

The instructions are in pictorial form which, whilst the photographs are clear, time will need to be taken to read carefully to ensure the correct parts are fitted in the right order as this isn’t made entirely clear. The build begins with the construction of the keel and the propeller guards/rudder supports bent into shape. The rear torpedo deck and generator are fixed into place followed by three bulkheads. The main engine is then folded to shape, giving it a 3D look, and fixed to the deck plate. This assembly is then added to the keel along with two more bulkheads. Two more bulkheads are then added followed by a crew bunk area, with four two tier bunks. Moving forward, two more bulkheads are fitted along with the valve control area, two more bulkheads, another crew bunk area, with five two tier bunks and two more bulkheads. The stand support plates are added to their respective positions along with the name plate. Another crew bunk are is then folded into shape, this one has six two tier bunks in what is possibly the aft end of the forward torpedo space as the next two bulkheads have the torpedo handling equipment and internal parts of the torpedo tubes. Forward of these are the bow planes and bow bulkhead, with tube openings. The lower bow, with saw tooth cable cutter, is then attached to the keel and fitted with the anchor and chain. The build then moves to the upper longitudinal spine, on which the tower is fitted, this includes the periscopes, periscope retraction tube, hatches and AA gun. The rear dive planes, rudders and props are attached to their respective positions. The foredeck is then added followed by the aft deck section which has the upper part of the tower attached, along with the DF loop, all this will need to be folded into the correct shape. The tower bandstand is then folded and glued together, this needs to be carefully slid over the AA gun before being attached to the rear of the tower. Lastly the foredeck gun is fitted to the deck plate and the handrails fitted each side of the tower.

sheet1.jpg

sheet2.jpg

Conclusion
This model is really so left field I was surprised to it being released. The size and construction will take some patience and care in the folding and positioning of each part. The modeller will also need to be very sparing with the glue as it will be noticeable if too much is used. I’d recommend using GS Hypo glue as it’s clear, controllable and quite strong enough once the model structure is complete. I cannot recommend this for anyone other than those modellers with a fair bit of experience of etched brass. But it will certainly be a stunning little model when finished.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of logo.png

• Like 1

Now that is something really different. I'll have to keep an eye out for it cause that's just the sort of weird thing I love to have

Hmm! let me think about that. :hmmm: No, well at least not yet, as I have rather a lot to do before this will hit the bench.

• Like 1