1948 Bendix Trophy Racer - 1:48 Revell

I stumbled across this subject some months ago when looking to see which types of aircraft had participated in the early post war American races. Google revealed the cover image of Don McVicar's book "Mosquito racer" and I was able to find a copy on abebooks for a few quid. The kit was picked up at Teflord where Antics were selling them for a tenner a pop.

Anyway, tidied the garage today so that the bench is once again accessible.

boxnbook.jpg

The kit and the reference book.

sprues1.jpg

sprues2.jpg

sprues3.jpg

Unfortunately the only colour image in the book is that cover art and other searches have revealed just one profile drawing and a skin on a flightsim forum. The book is specific about the colours though, "My choice of a paint job was was a delicious light yellow shade called Diana Cream, offset by a trim strip of sparkling Stinson Green".

The image below is a rough draft for the decal artwork and the initial work was very kindly done by my good friend Rich Hutton in Glasgow, who shares my interest in civilian versions of warbirds and was a graphic designer in a former life. A couple of days after a late night phone conversation a surprise email arrived with marking for one side and the wings. The colour will need tweaking and the original re-sizing to fit the kit properly, but it's a very useful start.

decallowres.jpg

• Like 1

Oh Lordy! A Mossie racer?? Fantastic.

I don't do guns and cow s**t paint schemes and this is something else.

I'll try to get the book.

Watching with great interest, but don't expect a massive following on here. Unless it bristles with shooty bits they ain't much interested!

Martin

Despite it's title, the book actually includes scant little information on the Mossie, just the last couple of chapters. Most is about McVicar's building up of his aircraft ferry business. He bought two Mossies, one of which was sold to another racer to fund the prep and running of this one.

Oh Lordy! A Mossie racer?? Fantastic.

Watching with great interest, but don't expect a massive following on here. Unless it bristles with shooty bits they ain't much interested!

Martin

Not so sure about that - lots of folks like Mossie's, and some, at least, of us like the RA C E R S ! !

After all, didn't the Racer Plane SIG - Bent Throttles - win the best display at Telford last November....?

Philip

I wouldn't know, Philip, I don't attend shows and wasn't doing aircraft last year, but if the Racer stand won, good job. But that doesn't change the fact that non military is very much the poor relation right across forums, magazines and clubs. Always has been and I'm sure, always will be.

Doesn't stop me doing my own thing and planning to produce vac-form kits of non military aircraft in 1/48th scale!

Martin

Doesn't stop me doing my own thing and planning to produce vac-form kits of non military aircraft in 1/48th scale!

Martin

Martin - do please tell us more - what have you in mind???

Philip

Philip,

I am planning to do first a Fairey FD2 and then the S5 Schneider 'plane. Some white metal possibly, but no resin. Too expensive. These are intended as effectively "scratch-assist" models, but formed into female moulds to get the detail on the outside.

My son built two vac-forming machines to do sci-fi body armour for his lad, but that seems to have fizzled, so I thought I'd involve him to make a few bob on an occasional series of models that can't be had elsewhere and for reasonable prices.

I also intend doing classic light aircraft, like Hornet Moth, Moth Major, Miles Hawk (natch!) the Non Henshaw Mew Gull, Percival Prentice, etc. They'll sell a few over time, so I don't look for a new business! Mainly kites I like. Also some British Prototype, Research and Experimental a/c like the above FD2, Avro 707, Bristol 188, etc.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks, Philip,

it's a little way off yet.

I am also making sure not to duplicate with John at Aeroclub, so the Moth Major may be in his list and not mine. Doesn't matter, there so many to do!

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

At last, I've actually made a start! Apart from the column and seat belt decals this is the interior more or less done as the all the bomb aiming junk in the nose was ripped out.

DSCN0325.jpg