Halifax III 1/72, what kit is best?

At Sea

Hi,

My grandfather was a Navigator on Halifax III's with 433 squadron RCAF.

I would like to build a representation of his aircraft BM-L or BM-J.

I am only aware of the Aifix Halifax III which is very old now, is there a better / newer kit available?

I have a decal sheet all sorted out by bashing some other aftermarket bomber command decal sheets.

Thanks.

Nope, the Airfix is all there is for a Halifax III, there are some detail sets which can be used to improve it though.

To bring up to latter day standards it'd probably benefit from rescribing, replacement engines, cowlings and exhausts, new transparencies and props at the very least.

Wez

Nope, the Airfix is all there is for a Halifax III, there are some detail sets which can be used to improve it though.

To bring up to latter day standards it'd probably benefit from rescribing, replacement engines, cowlings and exhausts, new transparencies and props at the very least.

Wez

That's what I thought...

I don't suppose the Revell Halifax II would yield useable fusalage & wings?

I know engines & vertical tails were different on II to III but maybe I could make something useful from the two?

That's what I thought...

I don't suppose the Revell Halifax II would yield useable fusalage & wings?

I know engines & vertical tails were different on II to III but maybe I could make something useful from the two?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the Halifax to say yes. Graham Boak is knowledgeable on the subject, hopefully he'll be along soon to offer more advice.

Wez

The new Revell Halifax will provide a good fuselage, with the appropriate tail as an option. The Airfix will have to provide the wings and just a little rework on the engines is necessary. I haven't tried actually bringing the two together, and don't think it will be easy. That will still leave a number of lesser problems from both contributions, that can be discussed if you choose to go that route. It might be easier to combine the Airfix kit with the Falcon conversion parts and a set of guns from somewhere.

A couple of points to clear up would be the serial of your grandfather's aircraft, in case it is a late example with round wingtips or perhaps a ventral turret rather than the H2S. It may of course have had nose artwork, which was common on RCAF Halis.

If you are talking about the old Revell ex-Matchbox Hali then no, that will provide almost nothing useful, and would also need a Falcon conversion for the transparencies and nose shape. It does however have a better H2S dome than the new one and the ailerons can be useful to make a more accurate set by combining the ones from the two kits.

When the new mold Revell Halifax came out at the end of 2011, there were many long discussions here regarding it various faults (and pluses), one included a build discussion where, IIRC, a Revell fuselage was mated with Airfix wings. Probably worth doing a search here and in the 'Ready for Inspection' forum. The builder MAY have been Woody37 although I am not at all sure I have correct name.

Hi,

I built the Airfix kit last year, hope this helps....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234906641-airfix-halifax-free-french/

This thread shows two builds as Chuck mentioned, both using the new Revell fuselage, mine being the Mk.II mated with Matchbox wings, , Tony's being a Mk.III with the Airfix wings

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910638-matchbox-airfix-and-revell-halifax-lovechildren/

Cheers

Neil

• 5 months later...