1983 Porsche 956 Rothmans

cjhm

I'm in with this one please

Original decals are a bit off-white so have ordered some replacements, may also get the Tamiya detail set

956_1.jpg

Yep, just ordered these (I think the faded set in the box at home are correct wording, just realised the box is emasculated though):

956_decals.jpg

And some PE etc

956_pe.jpg

All the best

Chris (lifetime non-smoker but believer that models should be correctly liveried ....)

Edited by cjhm

Ooooh! A Rothmans Porsche! Looking forward to seeing this one come together too.

From another never-ever-smoked-and-watching-a-cigarette-sponsored-racecar-was-hardly-ever-likely-to-change-my-opinion person! Just like Martini sponsored cars were hardly likely to change my drinking habits! I mean, can you imagine? "Martini and soda please barman...!" :mental:

Corking project! I was at the 1983 race where Rothmans 956s came 1st and 2nd.

I built my model as the Bell/Ickx second place car.

Porsche956.jpg

I thought my kit came with a secord set of decals - but I can't find them just now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the PE has arrived:

956_170313_1.jpg

and the decals, new MSM on the left, originals on the right. The white is nice an bright (hope they are not translucent); they are very similar to originals but looks like MSM have tweaked\corrected some markings rather than simply copy as is.

956_170313_2.jpg

Right, off to work on some parts cleanup, more soon

Chris

Not very exciting but I've stuck a few bits together, moulded on towing ring has been removed ready for the PE replacement

956_170313_3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, managed to find time to get a bit of traction on this one

Engine coming along, metalic finish is mainly Games Workshop, red is Tamiya

Have made a start on cleaning up other parts, need some warm weather soon so I can get out the rattle cans for chassis and body

956_300313_2.jpg

956_300313_3.jpg

956_300313_1.jpg

Wheels nearly done

Fronts airbrushed with Tamiya Aluminium and brushed GW Gold, Rears airbrushed with Tamiya Metallic Grey.

Lettering is multiple layers of really thinned (with Tamiya thinner) Tamiya yellow, capillary action pulls the paint into the letters. Not perfect but good enough for me (kit predates those special decals for tyre logos)

956_020413_1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatley pressures of work have delayed build, managed to start work on chassis though.

White is Humbrol 22 Acrylic rattle can, remainder undercoated in 85 but needs more TLC

956_180413_1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chassis coming along, Humbrol rattle can acrylic satin black, gloss white and silver plus lots of Tamiya tape to mask. Just a bit of detailing and touch up to go, no idea how the big scratch appeared in the silver.

Interior and suspension just about to be undercoated by airbrush

956_030513_1.jpg

956_030513_2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chassis coming along now and body has had 2 good coats of white, masking for the blue up next plus working on the interior

Sorry the pics are so dull, these were taken at 1pm outside!

956_130513_1.jpg

956_130513_2.jpg