1970 Porsche 917K

Mark

Hi Kirk, I didn't have much time when I replied yesterday and my reply did seem a little curt; sorry!

I might just have a free afternoon tomorrow to finish the engine off, then it will be time to start the interior next. The frame is all moulded on to the body parts and my intention (as I'm now clinically mad anyway) is to replace it all with brass tubing. But then what better subject to go to town on than one that you are passionate about?

Hmm. I have a 936 in the stash that seems to be crying out for that approach but to be honest I'm a little scared of the learning curve required to silver solder(?) the tubes together. Please feel free to post your tutorial though!!! :D

A bit more progress tonight and I have made a start with the fuel lines.

DSC_2858_zpsfe545f15.jpg

DSC_2859_zps6025845c.jpg

That little lot took up all evening! I'm hoping that it'll end up resembling this at some stage:

DSC02183.JPG

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Kirk, you're right! Something that the macro lens picked up but my eye didn't. Will be fixed tomorrow.... (as well as all the dust and stuff on it)

Warren, it's going into the chassis, not on a crate. That is if I get a move on! Otherwise it'll be an entry into the Le Mans GB as it is...

What I will say is that this is my first attempt at anything by Model Factory Hiro and yes, it's expensive, but worth every single penny!! It's amazing to work with, everything fits and the detail is stunning.

Incidentally, the fuel lines vary between pictures of the real thing; they don't all seem to follow the same routing, neither do the ignition cables. So I'm not quite sure if my engine accurately represents the model I'm doing! But then Spitfire modellers argue about rivets, so I'm not that bothered!

Hi all,

OK, I'm calling the engine finished now. I had a go at soldering this afternoon and, err, well, let's say I'm cr@p at it! so I'll be leaving the tub with the moulded on framework, which most of it is hidden anyway.

On the engine, the braided pipes have been replaced with MFH parts. These are not truly braided, but are made from soft metal rod which has been etched. It is slightly better scale than the original attempt and allows for better shaping. Here's the final pictures of the engine before it gets shoehorned into the chassis:

DSC_2863_zps8ad14319.jpg

DSC_2862_zpsa82b1c22.jpg

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is that not a thing of great germanic beauty? :clap2: (Claudia Schiffer, get in line.)

Shame about the soldering; I was relying on you for the inspiration to give it a go. What flux are you using? (This is something that Gerald Wingrove discusses at length in his books). Maybe the superglue route is the way to go after all.

Kirk

That's really nice Mark, will look great in the chassis but would easily stand on its own.

No pressure now with the rest of the car!

Cheers,

Warren

I've been looking at ways to mount the engine in the bay. Any suggestions?

The kit is almost a curb side, so new engine mounts need to be made etc. and the engine needs to be attached to the gearbox, which is provided in the kit. So I think it's a case of getting the gearbox and engine together first, then mount the gearbox where it should go on the framework, then try and worry about engine mounts later.

Just noticed this thread, I am probably to late but why do you want to silver solder? Wouldn’t ordinary solder be more appropriate as it's far more controllable. I use ordinary solder exclusively when building brass model locomotives.

Malcolm

I've been looking at ways to mount the engine in the bay. Any suggestions?

The kit is almost a curb side, so new engine mounts need to be made etc. and the engine needs to be attached to the gearbox, which is provided in the kit. So I think it's a case of getting the gearbox and engine together first, then mount the gearbox where it should go on the framework, then try and worry about engine mounts later.

Think your plan sounds about right, the gearbox needs to go where it is intended in the kit as everything else will be out of line.

Though it does seem a shame to hide that engine!

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

Oh no! Just over a month to go but looking like another four months work to do!! If I don't get cracking with this one, then it'll be popped over to a WIP and I'll start something simple for the GB instead....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...