Fairey Battle Mk.1 Airfix 1/72

After my fight with a 1/24 scale spifire i need something smaller :) and easier so ive chosen the Fairey Battle Mk.1 should be a fun little build not much flash but loads of stubburn injection tags...

20130303_192223.jpg

20130303_192147.jpg

20130303_192147.jpg

Despite it's faults, I love this old kit. Looking forward to this build.

Martin

it looks very straight and true no bent parts i can see just alot of rivets :) ill do my best with what i got all OOB with scratch built randoms so fingers crossed.

Faults usually mean the short nose and something about the tail which I cannot remember off hand... but for me it is one of the greats from my childhood... I built it as a kid in Dublin never realising the pilot who recieved the VC was Irish... I really should build it again...

Good luck with your build , I will follow this one...

• Like 1

Hi Nobby

You've picked a right one here, but I suppose it depends on how far you are willing to take the corrections etc.. Here's my effort

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234927652-airfix-fairey-battle-with-corrections/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925243-airfix-172-fairey-battle-with-corrections/

Best of luck

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up guys im now worried a bit because to cut a kit about ... well i have never tried cutting a kit about. does it really make that much of a difference to add 4mm to the nose and change the tail. i mean i dont really have the tools to do this type of work.

heres where im at so far

20130304_193543.jpg

20130304_205249.jpg

20130304_205304.jpg

any advice on interior details welcome u cant really see alot in there but i cant see to find any pictures of the cockpit

Thanks for the heads up guys im now worried a bit because to cut a kit about ... well i have never tried cutting a kit about. does it really make that much of a difference to add 4mm to the nose and change the tail. i mean i dont really have the tools to do this type of work.

I wouldn't worry about the corrections unless you yourself want the make them... Spru's build is a masterclass and fasinating to read but if it were me I'd be building OOB and be glad if it all goes together...

You are making great progress... :goodjob:

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the corrections unless you yourself want the make them... Spru's build is a masterclass and fasinating to read but if it were me I'd be building OOB and be glad if it all goes together...

Hi Sean

You are absolutely right as this is a hobby not a vocation. There is nothing wrong with building OOB, just enjoy the experience.

Mike

• Like 4

Hi Sean

You are absolutely right as this is a hobby not a vocation. There is nothing wrong with building OOB, just enjoy the experience.

Mike

Ok i will leave the nose and tail for this one :) one quick question though is i cant seem to find any pictures of cockpit detail ?? would this be like say a Hurricane or spitfire ?? any help much welcomed

Just bought the non VC version on a popular auction website. I'll follow this thread, then shamelessly copy all the ideas methinks.

i feel it will be the blind leading the blind haha...... (s*%t gonna have to pull something out the bag now)

Had a bit of a re-think and this is what ive come up with so far but i feel im still missing loads in the rear were the gunner is any ideas its a bit spartan

20130306_171033.jpg

20130306_171046.jpg

20130306_171335.jpg

20130306_171351.jpg

• Like 1

This! The link was merely if you wanted to do just that. :)

This! The link was merely if you wanted to do just that. :)

if i had the tools to give it a bash i might be tempted, u know what its like make do with what u got, (hobby saw, metal ruler, scriber are all on my wish list :)

Its coming along fine! I don't think you are going to see over much in the rear cockpit anyway so I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just do what you feel with the kit and have fun. I know when I do mine it will be the Valiant Wings nose perhaps a Falcon canopy and that will be on the correction front for me.

Martin

Its coming along fine! I don't think you are going to see over much in the rear cockpit anyway so I wouldn't get too worried about it. Just do what you feel with the kit and have fun. I know when I do mine it will be the Valiant Wings nose perhaps a Falcon canopy and that will be on the correction front for me.

Martin

ill have a look when its closed up and see if i can get a ammo box in there or something.

right the wings are on no filler added so far dont know if i should or not ill let u decide lol, so ive sanded down the rivets and given scribing a go without a scriber so far so good one question i do have is the area under the greenhouse airfix say cockpit green but most of the pics ive seen is camo ..... so which is it any help would be great.

20130309_102908.jpg

20130309_102935.jpg

20130309_103049.jpg

20130309_150536.jpg

• Like 1

Good progress! As to the bit between the cockpits, I would have thought a continuation of the camo scheme would be more logical but I think I would go with what the majority of your pictures show.

Martin

Good progress! As to the bit between the cockpits, I would have thought a continuation of the camo scheme would be more logical but I think I would go with what the majority of your pictures show.

Martin

yes i dont think ive seen one picture of cockpit green they have all followed the camo pattern :) cant wait to get some paint on her

ok this is where im at now humbrol 29 over the top hopefully u can still see the panel lines show through the underside is tamiya flat black i must get on with the landing gear :)

20130311_203519.jpg