2012 Nissan DeltaWing Highcroft racing

Bengalensis

Hello Carlos! It really warms my heart that my old modelling on the web did have such a meaning. Sure I remember the GT90, it's still in my collection and cared for, as are all other old models since then. It will be great to have you with us here Carlos.

Deltawing_14.jpg

It's been a quiet few days on the Delta. We have installed a whole new waste water cleaning system dug down in a corner of the garden this week (all finished now, and no, it was not fun at all) and what little modelling time I've had has been further distracted by cleaning up the resin parts for another figure, let's call her miss Death... Hopefully things will be more normal now and the decal work will start.

• Like 1

How cool is to have a word with you Jorgen, I dont know if Im more excited to take a look at your last 10 years work or to see what is your opinion and advices on mine. For all other friends in this forum, I will now let this topic for the delta wing (it surely deserve it) and maybe ask Jorgen to open a topic about all his earliest cars, for those of you that know them, you will understand me, and for all who dont know them, You will be as amazed

Carlos, I'm very touched by your words. I read in your presentation thread that your work is all over the world. Now if you land in Sweden some day, please give me a note and we'll see if you can pass by my home, you would be most welcome. Im sure that today you can teach me a thing or two as well. :thumbsup:

Maybe you are right that I should start a thread showing my older models. I joined this forum when I started building my RM Routemaster bus 1½ years ago, then I quickly found that Britmodeller has a wonderful mix of model builders and caters for all kind of modelling genres, so it soon became a major hangout for me, but I have never displayed any older work here, actually not even everything I've done the last year... :blush:

Back on to the Delta, I have today sprayed a piece of clear decal paper with a very thin layer of well thinned down Tamiya red clear paint. Judging by the difference of the sprayed and unsprayed areas, it provides the pink shading I want for the side numbers. I plan to cut ellipses of this to put over the 0:s, hoping that it will alter the white colour, but not be visible in the black centre. We'll soon see if it works...

Sweden has some of the finest engineers in ground mechanics, thats why I have not been requested there, but thank you, as soon as I land near, I will go to invite you a cofee and take a good chat.

If your modesty doesnt let you start a thread about your cars, let me know, and I will start it. I want to see those diaries that inspired me one more time. And to know what is your opinion on the "GT40 Heritage", the ford Gt, the Superformance, Matech, etc.

Keeping my promise about the Delta forum, I dont think the pink will be visible on the black. Go for it

Here's where we are now. With a satin/matt clear coat after the decals the body starts to make sense again. I will let it rest for a few days before adding carbon fibre decals inside the four light recesses and some detail painting.

Deltawing_15.jpg

BTW, here is the "Mattierungsmittel" (Graupner Best.-Nr. 925) I mentioned that I'm mixing in my 2K clear. No picture, but it's a thick liquid in a glass bottle. LINK

I'm happy with my experiment to tone the side numbers, it gave the subtle change in colour I was looking for. The amount of toning can be varied by spraying more or less clear paint on the decal paper.

Deltawing_16.jpg

Jörgen, that is an amazing finish and the numbers? Wow! Just the right subtle difference in colour from the main titles.

Got some detail work done today with the last parts in the kit and some small improvements.

After the CF decals had dried up I cut and dry fitted the vac form light covers, always a fiddly work. I also put some pieces of tape across them as support lines when I painted the black areas from behind.

Deltawing_17.jpg

A windshield was also cut and formed. It's only dry fitted here, and on the way of falling down...

Deltawing_18.jpg

There is a photo etched "mesh" in the kit for the small front air intake, but it looked far to coarse for me. In the seemingly eternal depths of my part and material boxes I found a fine steel mesh that looked better. Also a loose dry fit here.

Deltawing_19.jpg

A small steel pipe became a new connector for the hydraulic jacks. It will probably get a brass coloured centre later.

Deltawing_20.jpg

The cast in rear detail looks ok to me, but there should be a round bright steel bar across, which surfaced from the depth of my box for "round material" and was cut to size.

Deltawing_21.jpg

When the paint on the light covers have dried it looks like I have to start the final assembly...

I'm slowly adding some details to the body. The small black shield where the exhaust exits the bodywork had to be scratched from a cut up aluminium tube.

Deltawing_22.jpg

I had a surprisingly tricky time fitting the four light covers - I have done so many by now I shouldn't have that really - and didn't do the best job in my life initially, which meant spending time making the joints reasonably good afterwards. I actually had to put it aside for a day or two before proceeding.

Deltawing_23.jpg

I think I will try some light washing and/or dry brushing of the rear lights before a little clear. Next will be to put the thing on its wheels.

Deltawing_24.jpg

I still thought the mirrors looked like, boring? So I decided to try and give the "glass" a blue tinted look, like I see in reference pictures and on many real cars. I sprayed a thin coat of very thinned down Tamiya transparent blue.

Deltawing_25.jpg

And suddenly they looked much better, to me at least. Not sure how much is noticeable, but as I have become really bored with plain photo etched mirror "glass", to be glued on top of plain mirror housings, this was a relief. BTW, the right side glass is mounted like it is on purpose according to some ref pics.

Deltawing_26.jpg

I was almost about to call it done earlier in the week, as I thought my idea of a base only looked, well, weird(?) on my initial test print. However, a late evening visit, a very nice one at that, by a few modelling friends later in the week convinced me to go ahead and give it a try. So I will make a little more work. This is where we are now, more or less done.

Deltawing_27.jpg

Deltawing_28.jpg

A thing of beauty! And another trick learned too with your tip about tinting the mirrors, looks brilliant!

Jorgen,

truly inspiring modelling there. I have only just got around to reading this thread. I find the car intriguing but don't think I could ever come to 'like' it.

However, the subject will never detract from how realistic you have made this model and I have noted some more good tips, the mirror idea looks superb, well done.

Looking forward to seeing the ideas you have come up with for a display base.....

All the best,

Steve.

Thanks guys. She is really ready for the gallery as she is now, it's just that I wanted to finish a base.

My idea was, actually it still is, to recreate the outline of the car on tarmac, just as the pit area was done during the race. It looked really cool when I saw it in the race, but when I sketched it out the other day on a base it didn't look as good as it did in my head. But I have been convinced to give it a go, and I will. I'm just a bit distracted by the suddenly wonderful spring weather...

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch, I see that I have to finish a base within the next week... and I have hardly done any modelling over the last month. I wonder how that should be done? Looks like I will have to pull myself together again... :poke:

Base done. Still not sure if it looks as cool with the model on it as it did in the race, but it's better than my first impression after only drawing the lines.

Deltawing_30.jpg

With that I'm calling this done. I will have to try once again to get descent pics for the gallery, as my first attempt looked really washed out.

Deltawing_31.jpg

This should actually be my 79th completed 24h Le Mans model, unless I have missed one in my notes. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jorgen

Only just found this build, amazing!

I just love the finish, plus all the little tricks you used.

A really cool looking race cars which the model shows to perfection.

If time permits I may have to look into resin cars and my usual paint of choice for cars is automotive lacquer, so it would be perfect for resin.

again super cool job, well done! :thumbsup: