Decal question

Does anybody know of a UK source for Saturn V decal sheets? Failing that, a reliable US one? I've checked online and can't seem to find a site with secure ordering facilities.

I'm thinking of trying to renovate my 30-year-old Revell Saturn V, which is in good nick structurally but the paint job is a horror. But repainting would obliterate the printed-on markings (which are inaccurate anyway) hence my need for replacements...

Hi,gordon...

Having not used these particular decals from new ware,i have used others from them and found them excellent to use imho,and secure to buy from.

u.s.a...there is a man advertised as sci88,who does a lot of decals for Revell kits,and others,i believe hes called Ed bisconti,i have dealt with him on numerous occassions,with no probs,decals come by envelope well packed with card support,and no probs with secure payments,the only down side i found.imho,i used his decals on the mace terracruzer,and either im not used to non commercial decals,which is likely,but i didnt find i liked them,but i have found out since other ways of applying,i found them thick,and got a lot of bleed off the inks,but i didntcoat them with anything first,which would of improved them.so my mistake,and dont forget these are printed on one complerte sheet so you need to cut out first?see enclosed pics

001-60_zps0535bfa1.jpg

Myself,now i would contact martin goldsack @ martin,s models and get some off him,as he uses similar decals on his saturn models,far cheaper same quality as sci88,s and local thats just my thoughts?

im suprised not many firms in this country,are doing these sorts of printing,or not advertising them,but im sure there is a demand?

i have 1/72 tile decals off sci88,and to be honest after the terracruzer effort,im a bit scared to use them,for fear of a total disaster?

any way gordon,thems there my thoughts and my personal opinion,but what the h##l do i know?

cheers Don

Hi gordon,heres pics of new ware decals,far too complicated,but if your doing the saturn accurate,its them or nothing i think?,i had a look at the upgrade set from new ware its posted in the real space section,but thats the bee,s knees for an accurate representation though? heres the pics of new ware dec,s

0012-15_zpsf6674b75.jpg

0012_zps56c87179.jpg

002_zps94e7d0d2.jpg

003_zpsa9b79cb6.jpg

ITS a case of you pay,s your money,or how far you want to detail it,hope this helps cheers Don

For my Saturn V I used Rick Sternbach's, (of Star Trek fame), decals. He had a company called Space Model Systems, but the website seems to have vanished.

He still has a number of pages of useful info here: http://ricksternbach.com/SatV/Saturn_V_Clinic.html an an e-mail address for decal inquiries: [email protected]

Order them from Steve Iverson (Cultman)....$10.95 for the Saturn V/ CSM Bundle + shipping

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Space-Model-Systems_bymfg_70-4-1.html

His customer service is first rate and he also takes Paypal

Thanks for this - I've now placed my order thanks to the magic word 'Paypal' - saves faffing about trying to convert the currency. Total order came to just over twenty-one quid including shipping (that's for a set of 1/96 and 1/144 decals).

Well done for tracking those down. They are a very comprehensive set. I stopped with my 1/144 Saturn V when I went to brush away a speck of dust and realised it was a decal I'd just applied. The booklet that comes with them is very helpful too.

One thing to bear in mind though is that they are very thin and delicate. You need to work quickly and treat them gently. Never let them curl up.

Once they are settled though, they will look superb.

Best of luck with your renovation,

Paul