Spitfire Mk Ib / Vb question

VG 33

Hello

On different drawings the canon blisters of Mk Ib and Mk Vb are different but when I can see some pictures I suppose they are identical.

What do you think about it?

Patrick

2nd hand knowledge: there was a difference somewhere along the way. I haven't yet examined the evidence to see if I can figure out when or where (could be a factory specific thing) the change occurred. If I remember right it was the underside blister that changed shape, one being more symmetrical (teardrop) while the other was more of a kidney (or lima bean?) shape.

bob

This is the Vb fairing (could be the IIb as well, but can't be absolutely sure.)
Although Supermarine's drawings rarely say why a shape changed, it's possible, in this case, that it was due to them abandoning the attempt to drop the "empties" down beside the cannon, and sending them, instead, through a wingrib and into a triangular area beside the wheel well, from where they were free to drop more readily. C.R.Russell, in "Spitfire Odyssey," writes about producing the masters, from which the dies were made. They were handed, of course.
33108SHT667amp668HMagFairing-Copy_zps246
Edgar

Edited by Edgar

reading Edgar again, I would think that nobody knows more about the Spitfire, but also that he would admit that he does not know everything :winkgrin: not even Mitchell--would harvived his cancer -have known everything. This is one of the things that make this fighter so interesting

NP

reading Edgar again, I would think that nobody knows more about the Spitfire, but also that he would admit that he does not know everything :winkgrin: not even Mitchell--would harvived his cancer -have known everything. This is one of the things that make this fighter so interesting

NP

sorry, my computor wanted to make me crazy: Mitchel--had he survived his cancer--would have known everything ...

• 1 year later...

Edgar - Hello

If you should read this posting could you possibly repost the photo of the Vb fairing included in your 03 March 2013 reply in this thread. It seems that the photo was either deleted or moved by your good self.

Regards

John

It's back, and there's also this one which seems to predate it, so I wonder (have no way of being certain) if this one was the early type, which had the "empties" (try to) leave via a chute alongside the gun. The one above, being later, could date from when the cases were redirected out of a hole beside the wheel well.VbMagazinefairing_zps14d95763.jpg

this thread crosses over with another in progress - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234971865-148-spitfire-mkvb-to-mkib-conversion/

R6923 IB later converted to VB, as this photo shows. Slightly narrower underwing bulges to a standard VB, as seen in the diagrams posted by Edgar

spitfire_mkib_92_sqn_qjs_r6923.jpg

Photos are larger and clearer in 'The Spitfire Story' by Alfred Price, including an earlier one of R6293 with a black port wing and what look like a mk I oil cooler, on page 79 on my copy.

Hey Troy

I know that this is also cross threading but, referring to the photo of R6923 above, is the oil cooler which is there referred to as a Mk I cooler that which was fitted when R6932 was first built or was it fitted during the Ib to Vb conversation. I ask this because I have read that the early Mk Vs had problems with the "smaller" cooler and, consequently, "larger" coolers were fitted, i.e as Mk V coolers. In other words is the cooler shown a smaller or a larger one. Or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick ?

Cheers

John

The oil cooler in the photo posted as far as i can see is the standard Mk V type, which deeper, and has a circular opening at the front.

The Mk I type has an opening like a capital D with straight edge on the wing.

see also http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67314-spitfire-oil-coolers/

Also, compare the parts in the Airfix I/II/VA kit.