GB Chat

Good luck on your group build gents, I found out the other day one of my customers raced in the Le Mans race, I don't suppose anybody is building one of the cars of Neil Crang. Seems he raced between '82 and '87 but missed '83.

Cheers Callum

• 2 weeks later...

Acquired one of these on eBay but the decals are unusable (looks like they got damp at some point)

c9.jpg

Anyone got a spare set they want to sell?

Might get this one done as well if the 956 gets finished promptly

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi all, I'm back from my hols! What did I miss?

The postman has been whilst I was away and delivered me the Renown decals for the Mazda 787B as well as a stunning set of wheels for it by Top Studio! Can't wait to get going again...

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd post this here, as I think it's quite poignant:

1006130395.jpg

The plaque is not easy to find and can't be seen from the outside of the circuit. It sits on the track side of the wall opposite the pits in front of Tribune Lagache, at the point where the Mercedes left the circuit in 1955. They don't commemorate the incident, but the simplicity of the message is sufficient I think?

Rich

Very poignant indeed! I have just been reading up on it again and there are now quite a few videos of the tragedy on YouTube.

A really interesting account is here

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to worry anyone, particularly myself and Busdriver but we are just over half way through the GB, well over the 12 hour mark and only one completed entry.

It's just gone 4.00am in race terms and there doesn't seem to be much activity out there.

Just a polite nudge from the Hosts!

Cheers,

Warren

• 1 month later...

In race terms we are now into the last 2 hours, and as in the real race several entries have retired, 3 are way out front (well finished) and several are in various stages of build.

9 days to go so back to the garage.

Keep calm and carry on building!!

Prize wise though it is not Le Mans related i have a Revell Ferrari F10 I'm happy to donate, if anyone else has anything please post up on here but please be prepared to post it out at your own cost.

Cheers,

Warren

Edited by Madmonk

• 2 weeks later...

Okay racers, we are now deep into the last hour of the race and with only 4 competed builds in the gallery I'm hoping there will be a flurish of activity today and several more added, my Panoz being one of them.

Remember you have until midnight tonight so no sleep till then!

Cheers,

Warren

Well, I started a Tamiya Jag XJR-9 and had progressed quite well with it having completed most of the running gear.

Was going to post an entry but then discovered that I hadn't taken or had lost the picture of the unstarted kit - coupled with my modelling time suddenly being taken up with house decorating and the man cave being used as a store I had to give up on the Gb and the deadline. Will get it sorted and post in WIP when I get my bench back.

Good luck to everyone else - some nice stuff going on.

Any flourish of activity from me will just end as a bunch of smashed parts on the floor! Another attempt at getting something finished for a GB has ended in failure and I guess the Canadian GP being on this evening was not going to get me anywhere near the modelling bench. I certainly admire all those that have finished and entered their build in the gallery. Well done to all!!

But gentlemen, there is still a few hours left of today, so any last minute finishers??!!

That's it folks, the race is over!

As if reflecting the real race the GB has been one of great attrition, some not making it to the start line, others falling by the wayside as the race went on! 20 cars lined up on the grid and five have made it through the full 24 hours to take the checkered flag.

I will set up a poll at some point today to vote for the winner.

To all those that took part thank you, those that finished, well done they are all excellent builds, those that didn't have time to finish please continue, we want to see the RFI pictures in the Non Military Vehicle section soon. Also thanks to those members that didn't take part but took time to see what was going on and add encouraging comments.

Cheers,

The Le Mans GB Moderators

Yep, get those votes in!!

I know I am guilty too, but there were not that many finishers compared to the number of entrants, a race of high attrition indeed! But this has whetted my Le Mans appetite and so, is anyone going to this year's race? I might just head on up...

Yep Guilty as well , with the simil r GT I thought I was getting there but the bits just kept coming and coming , saying that its a great kit if your not working to a deadline .

I hope theirs another race car GB planned at some stage , although I did not finnish its been good fun and if there is a next time I plan to choose a kit that will get me over the finnish line .

Although not many finishers the standard was very high and was hard to pick my favourite , but I`ve put my vote in .

Also a big thankyou to all the organisers .

Red 5

I will run this through till Friday night and then close it down and announce the winner on Saturday morning.

Any one who hasn't voted yet get your mouse out and start clicking!

Cheers,

Warren

This is just a last dying attempt at getting the votes in... Anyone?

What had all the ingredients of being a top class group build (just look at the initial interest) turned out to be just five cars passing the finish line. But the modelling here has been quite inspirational and I defy any of you 'wingy-thing' modellers to turn out a 1/24th sports car in the same amount of time that you all seem to produce works of art in plastic, resin and etched metal in, seemingly, days compared to the automotive modellers who need quite a few months! And yes, that's me included! Maybe we need more time for the Motorsport GBs Mish?

So, come one everyone! have a look at the Le Mans Gallery and cast your votes! We can't let that half car/half plane from Nissan get too far ahead of the field!!

Well that's all folks, the poll is now closed and we have a run away winner.

Jörgen's 2012 Nissan Delta Wing

Congratulations Jörgen, I will drop you a pm about the prize.

Well done to all those that finished such a gruelling race, there was a large number of retirements. Those that dropped by the way side I look forward to seeing your completed models in the Vehicle part of the forum soon.

Thanks to Busdriver for stepping in to help moderate the GB and don't leave it long before you finish the 917K.

This years race starts in just over 6 hours and the three hybrid Audis seem to have a large edge over the Toyotas but they will need to stop for fuel a couple of more times than the Toyotas due to a 3 litre smaller fuel tank. The weather may also play its part as rain is forecast for the start of the race but clearing up after a few hours.

Cheers,

Warren

I'm both humbled and surprised of this win. I thought Steve's beautiful Alfa would probably walk away with the victory. But I'm so happy that the DeltaWing could get this small vindication for it's sad retirement in the real race. Thanks to all who followed the build and/or voted.

I would like to pass on the first price Ferrari kit to Peter Lloyd. It was heartbreaking to see the sad disaster of his Chaparral 2D body shell so close to the finish. Please send the kit to Peter as a small encouragement for his effort.

The 24 hours of Le Mans is such a great happening and one of very few holy occasions that is not allowed to be disturbed in my yearly calendar, so I really looked forward to this GB. I have after all finished 79 Le Mans models over the years, for obvious reasons... It was quite surprising, and a bit sad, that we only got five finishing cars from such a large and promising field of interesting entries. But I hope to see many of the others finished and displayed here soon.

Now this years race starts in a few hours, and as I write this I'm enjoying the historic race. We've got 24 hours TV-coverage and I will not miss a minute of that as usual, hoping that Toyota can give Audi a race and then follow the LMP2 and GTE classes, and I will be very tired Sunday evening. I hope you all enjoy the race!

Very sad news from this years race as early on in the race one of the Astons had a huge accident and unfortunately driver Allan Simonsen succumbed to his injuries whilst in the track Medical Centre.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and team mates.

Edited by Madmonk