GB Chat

Hi all,

Welcome to the Le Mans GB, from the initial commitment in the Future GB thread we should have a good up take on this one.

The first request I have is to see if anyone fancies joining me as GB host, Obi Jeff was supposed to assisting but hasn't been on the forum for some time.

The second is for the end of the GB, I will be setting up a Poll and vote, do we want prizes for the winners or hold a raffle for all participants. I have a kit I can donate from my stash and if anyone else can donate that would be great. If you can donate can I ask that you are also prepared to post the prize out to the winner at your own cost.

Anyone that has any reference or inspirational photos please feel free to add them to the Reference thread.

6 days to go so start getting those kits prepared and work stations cleared.

Cheers,

Warren

Great news that this is (almost) finally about to begin! I have dug deep into the stash and Santa Claus has been generous, so my builds have now been decided on. This is going to be a great GB and good luck to everyone!

Right, I'm now off to photograph some kit boxes and some AM stuff. I guess we can't have a Le Mans GB without a Porsche 917K... :winkgrin:

Edited by Busdriver

A great selection of kits to start with and a variety of medium with resin, plastic and white metal.

On the hosting front Busdriver has agreed to co-host so welcome aboard Mark.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi everyone,

As co-host I'd like to say hello and thanks to Warren and Mish for setting everything up so far.

How about a little inspiration? My favourite driver in one of the best cars of the modern era. Such a shame that the Tamiya kit goes for silly money on eBay now! There is the re-release, the no.18 Mazda liveried car that ran in the same race, but does anyone know where I can get the Renown decals?

Edited by Busdriver

That car and engine is just mind blowing, and a proper gearbox at that, what a lovely sound. Very nice driver too. I really hope we will see one in this group build.

So let me provide some more inspiration, on board another but older classic we just have to see in the build as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XtDsU9LUsOs

Would love to join in on this one (I've a rather nice resin Daytona that fits the bill), but I have quite a lot on at the mo, so can't commit. I will be keeping an interested eye or two on all of your builds though. ;)

Great group build this. Got me doing some googling for clips on youtube, etc and looking up some stats.

Lap times is a good one along with average race speeds.

1928 - Bentley did a fastest lap of 8mins 7secs with an average speed of 69mph. Distance covered in 24hrs 2669Km

2010 - Peugeot fastest lap 3mins 19secs average speed 140mph. Audi R15 covered 5410Km in 24 hrs.

Some interesting reading (if Wikepedia stats are accurate??)

Steve.

P.S. Last time I went to the 24hrs was in 1983 but I was very, very drunk most of the time we were there lol.

I've got a couple of Slot.It kits for very accurate 1/32 Group C cars which have more than enough parts to qualify as kits in themselves. I know there's the whole toy/model debate but frankly I think it's fairly redundant when it comes to these, both in the quality of the models and the skills needed to build them into accurate replicas.

First I've got the Porsche 962c in Le Mans trim, which looks like this in the box:

CIMG0094_zps0914d722.jpg

But with all the parts to be painted and assembled looks like this:

CIMG0095_zps4eca9143.jpg

My plan is to make it up as the 1990 Le Mans #7 entry of Hans Stuck, Derek Bell and Frank Jelinski. This brought together the two main forces in Porsche's Group C period - the main Porsche Squad and Joest - for the last proper 'works' effort.

4584077375_b14a3ed6c8_z.jpg

As well as building and painting the kit I'll need to make some mods to the wheels and tyres, as they switched from Dunlop-shod BBS wheels to Michelin-shod 6-spoke jobbies.

I've also got the kit of the Sauber-Mercedes C9 that I'm planning to make up as the 1987 Le Mans 361 entry of Mike Thackwell/Henri Pescarolo/Hideki Okada. When I was a kid the Kouros-liveried Saubers of 1986-87 made a huge impact... in fact I still wear Kouros today! Here's the original...

5257809080_9147241861_z.jpg

And here's the kit in its box, with even more pieces inside than the Porsche!

CIMG0093_zps0225ecb6.jpg

I need to get these built, but would be delighted to be able to mix my two hobbies in one GB if it's OK with everyone.

Just noticed that the Sauber had different front wings in 1987 to those on the model - which was released as the 1989 'silver arrow' version. I'll withdraw the request to include that one in the GB, but fingers crossed for an approval to build the Porsche!

Hi Maltadefender,

No problem with the Porsche, there is probably as much work needed on it as one of the Heller 1/43 kits. Only condition is that once the GB is finished we can come round to your place and hold our own Britmodeller 24 Hour Slot Race, we will bring our own beer and KFC!!

Cheers,

Warren

I´ll bring my Ninco Mosler MT900R!!

64_pd2121079_1.jpg

And come on guys, own up, who owned a bottle of Kouros aftershave after seeing the Sauber-Mercs? Anyone?...... Oh, maybe it was just me then!

• Like 1

Awesome news, thank you chaps. There will be a few extra parts too. Decals are from Patto's Place in Oz.

I look forward to a little on-track action at the end!

Peter,

Yep the old Bentley qualifies, any car that participated in the race or practice since the race first took place in 1923.

Cheers,

Warren

Two days to go!! :yahoo:

As it's a 24 hour race, I guess that means we can start at 0001hrs on Saturday morning? Oh, hang on, early start for me (0530hrs!) so that means I'll have to wait until the afternoon... :thumbsdown:

So, any more entrants prepared to commit and show us the planned builds?

I have a question. I've thought about this GB in the back of my head and recently acquired a Revell USA issue of the Fujimi Ford GT40 Mk 2 in #98 colors as driven to victory by Lloyd Ruby and Ken Miles in the 1966 24 hours of Daytona. The car was painted in different colors for Le Mans itself. Since the GT40 was conceived by Ford to beat Ferrari at Le Mans, would it be possible for me to build this in its Daytona colors and still qualify for the GB? I suppose I could get some proper markings for the 1966 Le Mans race itself. But seeing as how #98 is a car I don't see all that often and I fancy doing an OOB build down to the decals, I would like to build it as the Daytona car if allowed.

Hi JMChladek, I've discussed your request with Mark, the other host and we're both agreed that as its a Le Mans GB then the cars must have raced or practiced at the Le Mans 24 Hour.

Sorry but the Daytona car would not qualify for the GB.

Cheers,

Warren

I've got some sneaky practice in before tonight's kick-off! Here's a little update on that Sauber after painting and decalling. When I've finished the GB build I hope they will run nicely together.

CIMG0130_zps533a1ccc.jpg

As you can probably see, the 16mm rims fitted as standard don't quite fill the rear arches correctly on later GpC cars like this one. I'll be using the 16.5mm rims on the Porsche.

My mistake - I meant 15mm! Half a mil can make quite a difference to the performance - but I'm blowed if I can see it!

Hi JMChladek, I've discussed your request with Mark, the other host and we're both agreed that as its a Le Mans GB then the cars must have raced or practiced at the Le Mans 24 Hour.

Sorry but the Daytona car would not qualify for the GB.

No problem at all. I went ahead and placed an order tonight for a pair of Fujimi GT40s from Hobbylink since the yen to dollar rate is so cheap (and I couldn't decide which of the two kits I was looking at I wanted more, so I got them both). So when they arrive in about a week or two, I'll have my choice of doing either the 1966 winning #2 GT40 Mk II or the Gulf Ford GT Mk I that won in 1969 (the only car to win LeMans overall twice). And I might end up building the #98 car as a side project in the process.

I know it's a bit late but gentlemen (and ladies) start your modelling!!

Let's have a great GB and most importantly have fun.

Mark is working an a number of GB banners so keep a look out for them.

Cheers,

Warren