RAN Gannet 1/72

So here's my first build posted to the forum. It started life as a 1/72 Revell Gannet to which I scratchbuilt (butchered?) a starboard wing fold. I doubt the configuration is authentic operationally, but my aim was to replicate the Gannet on display at the Nowra Fleet Air Arm Museum as seen in the last pic - and scratchbuilding two wing folds was a bit beyond my endurance.

I've made a few changes since taking these shots, including modifying the attachment point of the wing brace which I got totally wrong initially and painting a few more of the attachments and struts red. The paint scheme came up a bit grainy and I'm hoping to improve my airbrush skills through the forum and lots more practice! Thanks for looking.

... Andrew

Gannet2-L.jpg

Gannet4-L.jpg

Gannet1-L.jpg

• Like 2

A very nice effort indeed! It might be worth considering replacing the aerial wire with something a bit finer though, that would finish the model of a treat.

Martin

Hey thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. The 'diorama' is the real thing from the FAA museum in Nowra - well worth a visit if you ever visit Australia. Looks like I better build my own - I've already got a few resin torpedoes and sonor bouys to put out front.

I just love the Gannet! And you, sir, have done an outstanding job :) The scratchbuilding is amazing!

Well done,

M

A very nice effort indeed! It might be worth considering replacing the aerial wire with something a bit finer though, that would finish the model of a treat.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I'll stretch some finer sprue and get onto that.

Andrew

Just thought I'd shed some light on how I did the wingfold. After cutting the wing (point of no return!), I fashioned the end plate from plastic card, glued it on and sanded it flush. The openings were cut based on photos taken at Nowra. I made the edge using very fine plastic strip which I made to conform to shape with little pieces of scrap strip taped around the wing edge. Wish I taken a picture but hopefully that makes sense. I used fuse wire for the cabling but found it not too pliable. Suggestions on a better wire would be appreciated as id like to add a bit more to finish it off.

If I did it again, I'd trim the wing length a little to match the width of the added plastic. Joining the wing segments was interesting and the end I settled on a hinge and pneumatic arm much like the real thing, all supported by the red braces.

Andrew

Superb job for 1/72 scale.

The pai9nt finish looks OK in the photos.

Colin W

Thanks Colin. I used Lifecolor acrylics. The sky laid down very smooth but there's something in my technique, mix or weather that conspired to make the EDSG a bit grainy. I also find the acrylics a bit harder to brush in the cockpit than my humbrol enamels of old.

Andrew