Revell Spitfire Mk1 1:144 - Finished 22-4

Neal

Building up the layers of the Matt klear (with grey paint added) and its knocking back the bright decals nicely.

Came up with a few overall dimensions for the trolley accumulator so I got to it with plasticard and a some softwood (coffee stirer) and this is what I ended up with. Just need to stretch some sprue to make the handle.

photo-836.jpg

Really pleased with it, although the wheels are a little wide, hopefully it'll look ok when its painted.

Edited by Neal

I've thinned the wheels down, added a few more details, painted and dry brushed the trolley accumulator, so I'm calling it finished appart from the power cable.

photo-567.jpg

photo-1664.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but accurate enough for me.

Edited by Neal

Now that's small..

Strangely it does seem quite so small in real life.

You have bionic eyes?

John, Thanks, it wasn't all that bad really, the hardest parts is holding parts to sand them. I made a few of the parts as small modules glued to and supported by bits of scrap plastic which I cut off before painting

That trolley looks sweet! Most impressive :)

Just out of curiosity, you know that Palva (spelling) do a WWII diorama base with the trolley included?? Keep meaning to pick it up.

Very sweet work. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

That trolley looks sweet! Most impressive :)

Just out of curiosity, you know that Palva (spelling) do a WWII diorama base with the trolley included?? Keep meaning to pick it up.

Very sweet work. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Dazz, I wasn't aware of the set, looks good maybe next time.

Love the detail, love the finish. The bike is insane. But I have to admit, the starter trolley is my favorite. Look forward to seeing all the parts come together!

Cheers

Thanks, I'm really pleased with it.

It's all pretty close to being finished now. I've been looking at some pictures of the spitfires and it looks like the paint faded pretty badly on some aircraft, much worse that mine's looking now so I need to have a think about what I can achieve. It's also been pointe out that I need some figures so a set of the prieser WWII USAF figures may need to be ordered or I think ozmods do so RAF figures.

That looks great Neal, I really like the bike keep up the good work.

Thanks John.

A set of the USAF figures are on the way, hopefully they can be Anglesized fairly easily. I've also ordered a brengun PE tool kit as well.

Edited by Neal

I wasn't too happy with how the paint and decals still looked quite bright and new so pinching an idea from DaveJL and one of his many Tomcat builds I mixed the brown with some light grey at 50:50 and a bit of flow improver. I then stippled this lighter shade over the brown, trying to make it lighter on the top surfaces and in the centre of the camo pattern, I did this over the the decals as well where they would be painted over the brown.

Not too sure its very clear but this is with the brown done.

photo-1285.jpg

I then repeated the process with the green. I also stippled neat grey on the areas of high wear, walkways and leading edges. Then the home straight, silver paint chips, Matt varnish, Florey's wash, dry brush, red tape on the gun ports and a bit of tamiya powder. The final assembly.

photo-2238.jpg

Couldn't them resist a quick mock up on the woodland scenics grass I'm going to use.

photo-2337.jpg

Just waiting for the preiser USAF crew to arrive now.

Edited by Neal

Very nice indeed. Antony

Thanks Antony.

I need a bit of help; I'm going to tackle the brengun PE tool se this week, I was going to paint the tool box red but I assume that during WWII they were likely to be wooden and unpainted. Does anyone know the most likely finish? I'd like to do it red as it'll get a bit lost if its brown but equally I'm looking for some historical accuracy.

Had a go at the brengun tool box this evening, here's the set straight out of the pack two tool boxes loads of different sizes of spanners, hand saws and even a couple if two-man saws. Good value for money in my mind.

photo-1453.jpg

After some muttering, sticking it to my fingers, doing a pretty poor job of painting it and loosing it on the floor (thankfully a hard floor not a carpet) here it is, looks ok to me.

photo-544.jpg

Im still waiting for the prieser figures to arrive so made the base of the dio from a cheap ikea picture frame and the woodland scenics grass sheet.

photo-1566.jpg

I wasn't happy with how the grass was sitting so I completely redid it this evening. I also made some crates from styrene strip and coffe stirrers to add a bit if interest and to prop the bike up against. Also made some chocks to locate the model against.

Just waiting for the figures now.

The Preiser figures are proving difficult to get hold of so I've get everything else together so its 99% complete. The boxes and tool box is fixed down along with a spanner from the brengun PE and the bike.

photo-1095.jpg

I've made a power cable for the trolley acc and I've added a set of PE steps from the Monokio PE ladders which I've tried to paint to look like they're wood. So this is the final layout:

photo-1835.jpg

Great work Neal, that toolbox is soooooo tiny. It will be a cracking diorama when finished.

Thanks John.

The preiser figures are looking unlikely before the end of the GB so I'll take some pics for the gallery and call it done, unless there's anything else that you all think needs adding to a 1940's airfield?

Looks pretty cool to me mate :) how on earth did you bend that ladder?? When I done mine for the F-15 it wouldn't bend how it's supposed to. So I threw a few choice 4 letter words at it.

Love the airfield and the Spitfire. Makes me wanna watch The Battle of Britian all over again.

Top work mate! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

...still awesome!

Thanks John

Looks pretty cool to me mate :) how on earth did you bend that ladder?? When I done mine for the F-15 it wouldn't bend how it's supposed to. So I threw a few choice 4 letter words at it.

Love the airfield and the Spitfire. Makes me wanna watch The Battle of Britian all over again.

Top work mate! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Cheers Dazz, the ladder took a good amount of time to fiddle into place, I used the edge of a engineers metal ruler to get started then two scalpes, one to hold it down and the other to fold it over on itself.

Finished pics in the gallery, but here's an extra one

photo-1439.jpg

Really enjoyed the build and trying a bit more scratch building. Thanks to the organisers and those who've commented.

Edited by Neal

Shame about the figures Neal but it still looks fantastic. Well done buddy.

Thanks John, the good news I've managed to find some figures, but I doubt they'll be delivered and painted in time for the end of the GB, but I'll get them done and post some pics in RFI.

That last photo, incredible...

John, thank you.