Revell Spitfire Mk1 1:144 - Finished 22-4

Neal

I've finally decided what to do for the GB, as I took me nearly 5 months to complete a revell 1:144 tornado I wanted something simple that likely to get finished.

As I've only decals for a single aircraft in the kits and I've not managed to track down any suitable alternative codes I'm planning a little dio; a patch of grassed airfield in 1940 one spitfire as a worn & weary aircraft cockpit open ready for the bell to ring. With the other as a clean, brand new aircraft just arrived from the factory still without its squadron codes.

I've also want to have a go at some PE so there'll be a bike resting up against one of the aircraft.

photo-192.jpg

Edited by Neal

Dazz, Agreed; there's quite a lot of light flash and I'm sure the Eduard set is more detailed but you can't fault the value for money with the revell kit.

The bike scares me, the PE is exquisite, there are 6 parts to each bike but I have no idea how to paint the wheels and tyres, I don't think I'll be able to mask them as I think Tamiya tape will bend the spokes when I remove it; any help will be appreciated.

Tonight has been spent tidying up the flash on the fuselage opening the cockpit door and scratch building a rough cockpit.

photo-193.jpg

photo-194.jpg

I've not added anything to the side with the door as you'll never see it. The IP needs painting black and I'll add some tape harnesses to the seat

Whilst the cockpit was drying I've started to tidy up the wings and drill out the cooler and radiator.

Edited by Neal

I got some BrenGun pe parts for my hunter and they do look amazing. Am tempted with the crane thing they got too.

The Spitfire is looking good mate, love the cockpit :)

As for the tyres on the bike... I'm guessing maskol would bend it as you take it off, same for Tamiya tape... Pva glue?? What about blue tak?? If you leave it a while it turns hard and looses some of its tackyness (word? Spelling?), assuming you're just spraying then taking straight off. I'm guessing it could be done, cause it would stick as much thus eliminating the bending issue. Paper template?? hhmm...

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

I got some BrenGun pe parts for my hunter and they do look amazing. Am tempted with the crane thing they got too.

The Spitfire is looking good mate, love the cockpit :)

As for the tyres on the bike... I'm guessing maskol would bend it as you take it off, same for Tamiya tape... Pva glue?? What about blue tak?? If you leave it a while it turns hard and looses some of its tackyness (word? Spelling?), assuming you're just spraying then taking straight off. I'm guessing it could be done, cause it would stick as much thus eliminating the bending issue. Paper template?? hhmm...

Kind Regards

Dazz

Cheers Dazz, I've the Griffin / Brengun PE flaps set for the A-model lancaster and they look great too, and agree the crane is an interesting peice for a dio.

The only thing I can think for the bike is to use tamiya tape really lightly applied.

An hour this evening and the cockpit is nearly there; bit of floor structure, headrest, control column, tape belts and some ribs on the door side. It's got some Matt varnish on at the moment then I'll add some dry brushing and washes.

The pics quite poor and shows up all the flaws, in reality it looks pretty good and I'm very pleased with it.

photo-195.jpg

I got the flaps set for the Hunter, am kinda worried about using the PE tho. I've never used PE before.

What about using some Tamiya tape, but sticking it down and bringing it up a few times to loose it's stickiness??

Love the work on the cockpit, bloody awesome!! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I got the flaps set for the Hunter, am kinda worried about using the PE tho. I've never used PE before.

What about using some Tamiya tape, but sticking it down and bringing it up a few times to loose it's stickiness??

Love the work on the cockpit, bloody awesome!! :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Cheers Dazz, I'll give the tape idea a go.

Cockpit dry brushed and given a coat of Florys dark wash.

photo-196.jpg

photo-197.jpg

Seat attached and Fuselage closed up.

photo-198.jpg

Bottom half of the wings are a bit of a dogs dinner, so I've taken off the cooler to give me a better chance of cleaning it all up. The hole for the stand has been plugged with a bit of stretched sprue, I'll probably scratch a new cooler.

I've joined the upper and lower wings and after some careful sanding the fit is looking OK, although it'll still need a fair amount of filler at the front as there's a change in shape between the wing and fuselage.

All the main parts together now and the filling as sanding has started. I've drooped the elevators and enclosed the wheel wells with plasticard. Prop and UC have been deflashed, the wheel hubs have been sanded flat and dallied out a bit.

photo-199.jpg

The wheel wells are all tidied up an painted then a round of filling, sanding and filling and the first of the paint can go on.

photo-200.jpg

The pictures don't do it any favours I'm afraid.

I've cut the canopy and its in a bath of clear.

Looking good Neal :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Looking good.

Antony

taking shape Neil

All, thanks for the comments.

The canopy is out of the klear and is drying. I've masked the relevant parts of the underside and the earth has gone one, this showed up loads of flaws so I recon I sanded most of it off again but looks ok after a second coat. Part of me wishes I'd started with a better kit as the finsih isnt going to be grear, but onwards and upwards. Gear all painted as well.

photo-2385.jpg

Also made the cockpit door and added the internal detail.

Pretty self explainitary; olive drab on, canopy on, exhausts painted, masking removed.

photo-2129.jpg

The canopy has a very poor shape, I've sanded it to try and make it less upright. I've also added the first coat of klear so might get the decals on during the week, so on the home straight with this one. I suspect the second spitfire might not make this GB as I want to get on with the bike.

Decals are on, wasn't really enjoying this build but its come alive now the decal are on. Matt coat later in the week and the weathering can start.

photo-2165.jpg

With the decals drying I thought I'd make a start on the bike, suddenly i have a half inch long bike.

photo-1244.jpg

This is my first go at PE and painting it with a brush its a bit rough and ready, but really pleased with it.

photo-700.jpg

Edited by Neal

Great stuff Neal - that's amazing for 1/144. I love p/e and, yes, it's fiddly but the scale detail is awesome - that bike is ace!

Awesome...

Great stuff Neal - that's amazing for 1/144. I love p/e and, yes, it's fiddly but the scale detail is awesome - that bike is ace!

The Spitfire looks great but that bike looks superb!

Antony

1:144 bike, okaaaaaaayyyyyy. Nice one

All, Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty sure most of it is down to the quality of the Brengun PE and I could probably do a better job next time, the good news is ther are 3 bikes still to go on the fret. A bit of carefull dry brushing will help a lot as well. One thing i did find was that the silver (revell aqua colour) really didn't want to go onto the PE, should I have primed first? Did wondrr about priming but I was worried that with too may coats of paint all the detail would've been lost.

Next on the job list is to give the spit a Matt coat, as I'm looking for a worn appearance I'll do something I've tried previously which is to add some grey paint to the varnish to flatten back the bright decals and visually fade the paint a bit.

I've been looking at some reference pics and there's always the trolley accumulator by the side if the aircraft. There isn't a 1:144 kit for this so I'm going to try to scratch build something. I haven't been able to track down any drawing but I've noticed that the trolley acc wheels appear to be pretty much the same diameter as those on a spitfire and hurricane, they're both about 28" in dia so I'll take some rough scale measurement from some pictures and see what I can do.

Edited by Neal

:yikes: Incredible!

Dan, thank you.

That bike looks really cool Neal!! The spits are coming along nicely too :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thanks Dazz, I was a bit unhappy with the spitfire but I think it'll turn out OK. Edited by Neal