Short Sunderland Mk.I / 1:72 / Italeri

Hello, colleagues!

In assembling this kit as a whole does not present any problems. Very "for amateur" deep seam panels and the same riveting - so washing was abandoned altogether. No aftermarket was used (in the set have a terrible photoetched details). The machine guns was slightly refined, made braces and antenna cable from the nylon thread. After attaching decals mismatch width tricolor on the tail - had to inflate his own top deck. Ground off all the edges are separated petals skirt hood. Navigation lights made from transparent color plastic. Added straps for traction flaps, belts on the chair from tamiya tape and wires (native etched details likes a railway sleeper rather than belts). Metallic paints - Alclad and Model Master. In set color scheme mess as always. Italy offers FS 36118 and FS34096. And when you look even b/w photos - in contrast shows that the standard scheme is stupid. Through long survey, I was painted upper surfaces with Revell 32174 and 36145. To achieve the desired contrast - adjust them accordingly under the FS 36118 and 34159 Dark SeaGrey Light Slate Grey (not dark). For authenticity, naturally, I can not guarantee - that's my vision. Lacquers - Pledge Futura and Tikurilla. Exhaust - Alclad. I did chipped on the band of engines. But it was a mistake. I've fixed it, but I did not made the new photos.

References:

1. Aircraft Profile 189 - Short Sunderland

2. Fly Model 117 - Short Sunderland Mk.II

3. Short Sunderland from Ken Delve

4. Warpaint_025_-_Short_Sunderland

5. World aviation № 133 HQ

505ca027e3ffc677381d2cf8c7839866.jpgdd149b881c4a4c89067c928541772ffc.jpg7a8926d578376999982ddfacdad311b1.jpg1f25b43bd31007186f16e54b3fb047b6.jpg9e56c5f08f4fe93da417e2b700d5873f.jpg9f856ecb78725c73b95ac2f286f6d21d.jpg3abfb496642fd4fb8239af2cc1b2b2ae.jpg707c9e8e5050389cfb311c17e68d3b40.jpgc4b5d0a50b11574c9fe77c49e8ffcb06.jpg4d3d35f6475a67d1a943c56994c4e36d.jpg17b5bb39626425127e01cdd9a21618e3.jpg7cc8bb9be4e7550c92eb3af1bb0e79f8.jpg49bb541eda7dbdd9ce32a92d200df16e.jpgf14e1459f5f180ffa3c462b7ce7a8fb1.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice model. Lots of nice work there.

There is, however, one thing I would like to point out for you and others who are building models of airplanes that live in a marine salt air environment (which I learned through hard experience as a member of Naval Aviation): you do not allow "chipping" of paint to remain open like you have, because salt air has extreme corrosive effect on aluminum (as in it will turn aluminum into powder fairly quickly). Ground crews will immediately pull out paint upon arrival home to cover over any "dings." This is why on the tactical paint schemes for naval aircraft, you see all the "spotting" of fresh paint over faded paint. This was particularly true for the SP-5B flying boats we used to operate, and I saw the same with RNZAF Sunderland V's.

Like I said, not a criticism, but rather additional information for "next time."

• Like 1

Excellent Sunderland. Hope mine looks as good. You have the weathering spot on in my opinion. There were some really beat up looking Sunderlands and I've seen a photo of the Sunderland you've depicted here in a similar state.

Hi Faud

Thanks for posting your Sunderland Build -very Nice!!! :thumbsup:

Looking at you model, you have given a lot of time and thought to your build

Some comments if I may?

with Respect to TCinLa

There is, however, one thing I would like to point out for you and others who are building models of airplanes that live in a marine salt air environment (which I learned through hard experience as a member of Naval Aviation): you do not allow "chipping" of paint to remain open like you have, because salt air has extreme corrosive effect on aluminum (as in it will turn aluminum into powder fairly quickly). Ground crews will immediately pull out paint upon arrival home to cover over any "dings." This is why on the tactical paint schemes for naval aircraft, you see all the "spotting" of fresh paint over faded paint. This was particularly true for the SP-5B flying boats we used to operate, and I saw the same with RNZAF Sunderland V's.

I think you will find the WWII Sunderlands would have had a Specified amount of time "In" the water before a main

servicing. Beaching a Sunderland is quite an undertaking, and not some thing you would do everyday.

Small items immediately repairable with paint could be done at mooring, but around the waterline it would have

to wait till it was time to beach the aircraft. With a war on, such niceties of keeping the paint "spic and span" would be quite

low on the list.

The Sunderland were a lot more sturdy that one would think, they were built to live in the marine environment.

After WWII the RNZAF had 4 Mk III Sunderlands, which flew in all natural metal for a period of time.

Fuad your build, some comments and FYI's (especially for other modellers)

Well spotted on the stern "White Light" (light below Stern Turret) can easily be missed.

You have painted the Upper dorsal observation windows - your choice - in reality they would be clear, allows

a crew extra viewing especially on the look out for maruading Luftwaffe aircraft.

DSCF2770copy.jpg

Wing tip lights, the covers are 'Clear as in this photo, inside the cover would be a builb etc in specific colour

100_1177copy_zpse67e371c.jpg

You have built your model with bomb rack out again, your model your choice.

When the Bomb racks are out under the wings, the Bomb Bay doors will be in the "open" position.

There's an umbilical type cord that runs power to the solenoids to allow the Depth Charges to be dropped.

If the cord was cut, all manner of problems for the crew :oops: if on patrol, not to mention a severe telling off from

the crews OC and down on return to base.

Again the Anti Submarine bombs on the racks, they would be more than likely removed by the armourers prior to

beaching. Or else done when the aircraft was beached, but in a safe area away from the rest of the aircraft.

I think the OC would not be happy having 8 x 250 lbers hanging on the racks while on the hard apron

with ground crew carrying out work.

The Main mast to too far to port, it should be closer to the middle of upper fuselage

The bronze colour on the engine nacelle outer ring would not be painted, when new, this was natural steel

being a collector ring for exhaust gases. Over time it would discolour due to heat

I think also, that if the Aircraft camouflage were that "worn" then the roundels et al, would be some what weathered too.

The lower section would actually be "Aluminum Paint" as opposed to natural metal in this case.

Again thanks for posting your build

Regards

Alan

Many thanks for your comments. I forgot to remove scotch with viewing windows! What about hanging bombs - all perfectly true - I'm little frivolous approached this issue.

I came here to learn how to do correctly. 2 years I studied with russian modelers, now I moved on to a higher level, I hope)).

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

e12ffee4d2a59f2eff5033fd69458c0d.jpga174009c46844a95e3a636cc6d760cf4.jpg

This is photos with "chiping"

11dbf4320d0174a571fc0f857e0333b9.jpg634ae33402b66fbcf41d7b0c4a0c226e.jpg

Many thanks for your comments. I forgot to remove scotch with viewing windows!

That's classic :D :D That would be something I would do.

Your build certainly looks the part now!!

Learning from others is a great thing about this Forum. I visit here everyday, even just to browse, and I

find something I can use or learn, or if possible give someone some help.

Regards

Alan

Wonderful build & finish. Maybe a little too beaten up for my liking but you have done a very very good job of it.

Really got to get mine finished as im building it for my Grandad who worked on them in WW2.

I love this Sunderland, I think the chipping on the paint is very authentic and that includes the damaged paint on the aircraft markings too. Too often a model will appear with excellent wear and weathering that still has clean undamaged markings , totally unreal I think

You can take Alan's (LDSModeller) advice seriously, he knows these aircraft better than I do, my love for them is from my father flying in Sunderlands in the latter years of the war, in/from Wales. :) (Always said he was chief tea maker onboard, he made a super cup of tea, my dad)

And welcome here after being with the Russian modellers who are often incredibly good

I hope we don't let you down

bill

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments. I am very pleased to be here. If only because of the fact that through contact with some members I can touch some great stories. Eternal glory to our grandfathers and great-grandfathers!