Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

Here's my latest - The Airfix 1/24 Mosquito done up as the night-fighter version!

Enjoy

DSCN6316-1.jpg

DSCN6315-1.jpg

DSCN6314.jpg

DSCN6313-1.jpg

DSCN6311.jpg

DSCN6310.jpg

I've had to leave off some very small pieces at the front of the undercarriage as they broke as I was sniping them off the sprues! so this is as is!

• Like 5

Thats excellent!

The tread on the tyres looks sweet, is the port wheel not quite in the right position (in terms of the weighted area) as it looks a bit misshapen.

Paint is great, and love the red lettering on the decals

Thats excellent!

The tread on the tyres looks sweet, is the port wheel not quite in the right position (in terms of the weighted area) as it looks a bit misshapen.

Paint is great, and love the red lettering on the decals

The tyre isn't mis-shapen. Somehow, it has managed to get itself off centre and is slightly skewed. Trouble is, it wasn't when I put it together, it has happened during painting and finishing!

It wasnt meant as a dig, just noticed it, and thought it may be worth correcting. Similar happened to me on my Messerschmitt build.

Wasnt taken as a dig......i honestly only noticed it as i was putting the undercarriage doors and bomb bay doors on...... Bloody anoying i cant correct it either!!!

Looks like a good build but I'm sorry that the finish is wrong. Your black is glossy whilst the original was very definitely not just flat but horrible to look at and work with and extremely difficult to replicate. This was my effort using the Tamiya 1/48th kit:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914424-tamiya-mosquito-nfii-148th

Not perfect but a lot less reflective.

Looks like a good build but I'm sorry that the finish is wrong. Your black is glossy whilst the original was very definitely not just flat but horrible to look at and work with and extremely difficult to replicate. This was my effort using the Tamiya 1/48th kit:http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914424-tamiya-mosquito-nfii-148th

Not perfect but a lot less reflective.

Sorry if you dont like it, but its my kit and i do like it. The last time i listened to someone who didnt like the finish on a kit and used a matt finish i ended up having to scrap it due to the matt finish frosting and ruining the kit. So this is the way it looks and will remain so.

The point about the matt finish is correct, but as you say, it's your model. Having had the same problem with matt varnish I can well understand your reticence to risk the finish on a very large and expensive model. Having to ssand it back or even strip it would be a major headache.

Anyway, lovely job. There is something both elegant and menacing about a black Mossie - whether shiny or dull!

Sorry if you dont like it, but its my kit and i do like it. The last time i listened to someone who didnt like the finish on a kit and used a matt finish i ended up having to scrap it due to the matt finish frosting and ruining the kit. So this is the way it looks and will remain so.

I didn't say I didn't like it, I pointed out that the finish was incorrect for the aircraft depicted. I also pointed out the difficulties of replicating the accurate finish and provided a link to enable you to look at my far from perfect effort along with a description of how the original was achieved, its drawbacks and how I'd tried to replicate it.

I can't understand spending a great deal of money, time and effort in producing a well built model and then spoiling the whole thing by not researching the correct finish before starting off. I could well understand, having done the research, deciding to go for the later black lower and camouflaged upper surfaces but I just can't see the point in producing a model that doesn't come near the finish of the original. Even just painting with basic matte black would have been more realistic.

Of course it's your kit and you can do what you want but if you post on here you open yourself to praise, criticism, correction and help. I think I gave all in fair measure.

• Like 1

Night fighters did not carry bombs - what would have been the point as they operated over their own territory. Their role was to intercept incoming bombers and to be as agile as possible so weight was cut don as much as possible. On the Mossie nightfighters, which were a quick fix for the RAF as the Defiant which was a purpose built nightfighter had prove relatively ineffective, the bomb bay and bomb bay doors were retained as access was needed to the fuel tanks and the fuselages were taken from the regular production line with minimal structural modification.

Sorry, I've just read the earlier post about the RDM paint. I echo an earlier post that said that its your canvas. I've seen a Mosquito painted pink because that's what the modeller wanted. Inaccurate but great painting. Actually, gloss finishes are notorious in getting it right, but you have. Well done.

totally agree :thumbsup2: you paid the money you do what you like and never mind the others,

some times think some off us get a bit caught up in how accurate a build is and forget how it was(at least for me) to build just for the fun and joy of building something I LIKE IT so there :bleh:

martin

totally agree :thumbsup2: you paid the money you do what you like and never mind the others,

some times think some off us get a bit caught up in how accurate a build is and forget how it was(at least for me) to build just for the fun and joy of building something I LIKE IT so there :bleh:

martin

Thanks for the comments!

I only build for my pleasure and no-one else. My wife wouldn't know any different, and none of my family would - so it doesn't really matter what finish it gets, I don't spend 6 months building a cockpit or interior that no-one will see, or spend a year building a model for a competition in such a way that you can only see the inside with a dentists mirror. No - I build simply for my pleasure - if I like the look of something I have built, then that is the only opinion that counts. The only reason I posted this particular kit on here, is that I had not seen any in the night fighter variant - bombers yes - fighters no - so I thought that people may enjoy seeing it. Clearly, I was wrong to a certain extent. If the only comments people can make, are negative, and ridicule them about ignoring research (which again, I don't bother with - I build out of the box and limit aftermarket to photo-etch and masking) then I will simply stop posting, and keep all my builds to myself. I have only been back in the game for about 18 months and thankfully have quite a thick skin. Other people may just stop altogether because of comments. Encourage don't discourage.

My final comments are these, the finish is for a reason. Due to limited funds, I cant go out and buy several airbrushes, one for fine work, one for coarse work or one that would cover a large area easily. This is a massive kit, and the only aerosols I could find from modelzone or Hobbycraft (my ONLY local hobby shops) was satin black - there was NO matt black available. And this photo shows what happened the last time I followed "advice" on gloss or matt finishes.

DSCN4116.jpg

• Like 3

Oh boy, I've really kicked you in the what's its haven't I? Actually I haven't. I complimented you on the build quality, I tried to be helpful in pointing out the error in the finish and how difficult it would be to achieve accuracy but how you could achieve at least a semblance of accuracy and that a straightforward matte finish would be somewhat more accurate.

You are, of course, free to finish your model anyway you choose but if you put it on here you must expect those of us who strive for accuracy to point out obvious errors. Pointing out errors is not ridiculing you. If you think I ridiculed you you need to look up the word in a dictionary. Again if you think my comments were negative, you need to sort out the difference between negative and constructive, i.e. I tried to point you in the right direction. Last year I put up Beaufighter where my research and box art let me down http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910188-beaufighter-tf-mk-x/?hl=philbky Compare my reaction to yours.

You say you build for your own pleasure (fair enough) and yours is the only opinion that counts. If the latter is the case, why post on here? Posting here is begging for the opinions of others and some of us (and I for one could never have the skill to build to competition standard) at least strive for accuracy and post our efforts for criticism and to learn, not for praise alone - though you seem to have done well in that area by those who obviously also just build a model without research or care for accuracy.

Finally, we are all suffering from the cost of kits, tools, paints etc. but to plead that Hobbycraft and Modelzone could not supply Matte Black spray cans beggars belief. In extremis, there is always Halfords.

I've said my piece now, I've tried to help but obviously you and a number of others here are modelling in another genre and I'm happy to leave you all there.

• Like 1