L.A. County Sheriff Sea King (Sweet 1/144) FINISHED

thorfinn

My GB entry, the Sweet 1/144 Sea King

GEDC4840_zps912cd740.jpg

GEDC4842_zps92431e07.jpg

A suitably blurred shot of the decals:

GEDC4843_zpsa21e3c80.jpg

Since the kit itself is relatively simple, I decided to opt for a fancy paint scheme, the Los Angeles County Sheriff (mainly search-and-rescue) S-61L. This version will require a few changes and additions as well: modifying the gear sponsons and rescue hoist, and adding some exterior details. Since there is no interior (and a fair amount of glass up front, I intend to scratchbuild a bit of cockpit detail. The kit provides decals for the cabin windows, but I'm still pondering whether to open these up and provide some cabin interior as well.

GEDC4844_zps606d9c2c.jpg

More later.

Edited by thorfinn

Don't these break the 20% already built rule? :P

Kind Regards

Dazz

Almost...but the fuselage in the photo is pressed together, not assembled. :yahoo: I pried it apart after I took the photo.

Thanks for the interest, Gentlemen.

Almost...but the fuselage in the photo is pressed together, not assembled. :yahoo: I pried it apart after I took the photo.

Thanks for the interest, Gentlemen.

Oo thats very sneaky!! I likes it ;)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 3 weeks later...

Annoying real life has finally relented sufficiently for me to get a start on this. I decided to go ahead and open everything up, and do a more or less full interior. Let the cutting and hacking commence!

GEDC5015RCAP_zps320b0bd2.jpg

GEDC5017RCAP_zps5555f549.jpg

GEDC5046RCAP_zps00faf214.jpg

GEDC5052RCAP_zps9a3f0e76.jpg

And a few accessories:

GEDC5065RCAP_zps8d1fce5c.jpg

(The back-board above is way over-sized and will be redone.) Should have more soon. Any comments or questions welcome.

Many thanks to all for the encouraging words.

Just about ready to button up the fuselage. I didn't have any pics of the L.A. Sheriff's birds' specific interior (which are multi-mission configurable anyway), so I just went with what seemed a reasonable amalgam of interior detail from other SAR Seaking types. Here are the last interior shots:

GEDC5094RCCAP_zps9acbce9a.jpg

GEDC5108RCCAP_zps20c4758a.jpg

Edited by thorfinn
  • Like 1

Tiny cockpits.

I have three more of these kits in the stash in addition to the one I'm doing now, so I decided it would be easiest to build all the cockpits at once "assembly line" style. Basic construction from bits of styrene sheet, rod and angle. For the instrument panels, I reduced good-resolution color shots of assorted model cockpit parts (the trick being that some "representational" model shots actually have better definition than real cockpit photos, when reduced to this scale). Printed out on matte photo paper, I applied these with regular white glue.

GEDC5114Rquad_zps522061d2.jpg

A closer view of the instruments:

GEDC5145RC_zps1fb770b7.jpg

And the whole thing installed, ready for the nose glazing to be attached:

GEDC5149---use---_zps93d15068.jpg

Just enough color and detail to make it look "busy."

Should be pretty much downhill from here. Thanks for looking in.

That is fantastic work!! I'm in awe of how good those cockpits look. I'm also learning a lot from this build in readiness for my version. :D

Still watching with much interest.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Thank you Neal, McYellowbelly & Dazz. I appreciate the interest and the comments.

Rounding the corner and heading toward the home stretch. Finished a few extra details and got some paint on.

Modifying the landing gear sponsons:

GEDC5110RCAPDUP_zps6aa27288.jpg

GEDC5167RCCAP_zps5dfc3ed3.jpg

I was concerned about matching the gold paint on the original birds--it appears to be one of those "not quite this, not quite that" colors. However, I had an unopened bottle of Tamiya Titanium Gold (probably acquired for some unremembered project), which turned out to be a perfect match. And, happily, a pretty simple masking job.

GEDC5184RCAP_zpsbf556fe8.jpg

Next up, decals.

• Like 1

Calling this one done. Very fitting timing, since the L.A. County Sheriff's "Rescue 5" is in the news over here once again, having just rescued a pair of missing hikers from a canyon ridge in one of the National Forests. (That aircraft was one of the new Super Pumas, that have replaced the now-retired Seakings.)

I scratchbuilt the rescue hoist and searchlight from sprue sections and styrene rod, then added assorted bits and bobs for nav lights, pitots, and aerials.

Many thanks to all who have followed this thread and taken the trouble to comment.

GEDC5281RC_zpsbc4e7667.jpg

0230GEDC5237RC_zps8447d0c0.jpg

0400GEDC5225RC_zps7153dbfd.jpg

0400GEDC5246R_zps0c55e2dd.jpg

0930GEDC5232RC_zps36717179.jpg

0240GEDC5238RC_zps527b930e.jpg

1030GEDC5233RC_zps613256c1.jpg

highGEDC5249R_zps36c2ef26.jpg

I need to find some more of these kits for a reasonable price, yours has made me want to build more!

Antony

I'm with you, Antony. Since each kit's decal sheet has 3-4 options, there are too many interesting schemes to build!

Edited by thorfinn
  • Like 1

That is damn Sweet!... boom boom! I'll get my coat...

That is one class model, love what you have done with her and the attention to detail. Very cool :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thanks, Dazz. It was great fun...but I'm quite ready to work on something larger, for a bit (so my eyes can focus at a normal distance once again :ninja: ) .

Thanks, Dazz. It was great fun...but I'm quite ready to work on something larger, for a bit (so my eyes can focus at a normal distance once again :ninja: ) .

Yeah I know that feeling, I usually go for 1/72 WWII examples then. Altho I have an MiG in 1/144 thats almost as big as an 1/72 Spitfire... so that plan doesn't really work out. lol... smashing example :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz